Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone cheat on preop

I did. I had a 1 week pre-op clear liquid diet. I started Monday, did great until Thursday, then I ate some smart puffs and half of a lean cuisine that night, and then I didn't cheat again after that. Most people fell off the wagon a bit during pre-op and most doctors know this is going to happen. The trick is to not do that the day before surgery and to not take a headfirst dive off the wagon and eat your face off. You're put on the diet so that your liver shrinks enough that they can go under it to access your stomach. If it does not shrink, there is the potential that it may crack, which is a wildly more pia surgery, takes something like 6 hours longer, and is all kinds of miserable, on top of the misery you're already going to get to deal with after having your stomach cut out. A smidge of cheating is fine, but as it relates to your health, they do put you on the diet for a reason- it looks bad if your doctor kills you..

I had a roommate when I was in the clinic. We both went into surgery at roughly the same time 7:30am. His wife was waiting for him in our room and was getting increasingly worried as time passed. I was out by 9:30...at noon he was still not down. His wife told me he did not follow his pre-op diet. He was supposed to do 3 weeks, he did 3 days...because he didn't like the shakes...neither did I so I consulted with the dietician and switched to something I did like. At noon the surgeons came down and said that his liver was fused to his stomach...they had to spend hours separating them. My surgeon had to go in and help his doctor complete the surgery because of the complications. He didn't come down from recovery until about 7pm and I'm sure was in the hospital longer than I was. He really looked like he was struggling. I'm very happy about following the pre-op plan..frankly I lost more weight in those 2 weeks than I have post-op..Go figure...

\

I hope that works out for you! :D

@@LipstickLady.... You should really consider another hobby... "no judgement"

Sent from Dee~Dee via BariatricPal

Gah I ate a baked chicken breast and salad yestarday on my liquid diet. I did take 3 colace after so we'll see what my surgeon says today

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Seems to me like you want others to talk about it so you feel better about what you did.. But me having something off plan PRE op is a whole lot different than you trying to rip your stomach open by eating chicken breast n salad when it hasn't healed yet and you're still on liquids.. Thats your choice it would scare me

Munky

Sooooo..... Did anyone ever have the, "what happens when you ASSUME things" talk with you???.. might just want to review it before you make public posts. Just a thought.

Wait. What was it you were saying about ASSuming? This is why I wished the previous poster good luck with the hunger thing. YOU might want to review it before you make public posts. ;)

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/381323-hmmm/

Unless you have some type of healthcare degree.... As I do... Im not going to entertain you further.... Move on.

I do!!! Like a real, live in paper degree! Eight plus years worth of it!!!! From a real university!

And guess what? @@LipstickLady has NEVER given out medical advise, she has ONLY spoken of her OWN experience and people like you do nothing but flame and cause issues.

So, if this is how YOU treat any actual patients in your care, with this negative, nasty attitude, please let me know where you practice so I make certain I do not refer anyone your way going forward.

I believe it is time for YOU to move along.

And guess what? @@LipstickLady has NEVER given out medical advise, she has ONLY spoken of her OWN experience and people like you do nothing but flame and cause issues.

So, if this is how YOU treat any actual patients in your care, with this negative, nasty attitude, please let me know where you practice so I make certain I do not refer anyone your way going forward.

I believe it is time for YOU to move along.

Wait, wait, wait. To be fair to Dee-Dee, she did not say that she treats patients. The rest holds.

And when you're posting on a public forum, you can't ask people to answer the way you'de like them to so your fee fees don't get hurt.

Why not? It's their post. If you don't like the parameters they put in THEIR post then dont comment (especially negatively) and get your "fee fees" hurt.

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

Unless you have some type of healthcare degree.... As I do... Im not going to entertain you further.... Move on.

Ptish-tosh. C'mon, folks, let's pretend to be grown-ups. This isn't the least entertaining.

Anyone can be anything on the Internet. ;)

That said, good attempt at deflecting from the actual topic at hand. And trust me, telling me to "move on" will get you no where.

Will "run along" do it? Just kidding you. You know it.

How about "girl bye"?

Sorry....couldnt resist LOL

Yes, pre op is different than newly post op.

I think when people get the most judgy is when you're 5 days post op and eating pork chops, Swedish Fish, steak etc. Then it's a matter of being concerned someone is going to physically hurt themselves.

I personally could care less if someone "cheats" pre op (as long as it's not going to interfere with the safety of their surgery) and further out post op. They only have themselves to answer to, anyway. Besides, as someone very wise on this forum once said, it's not cheating, it's a CHOICE.

So we can't have Swedish fish 5-days post op? DARN. LOL. J/k

I had a few glasses of wine and i really stresses over it. That was my turning point of pre op diet. I put my stages in steps. Pre op diet was 1st step. Follow pre op diet to be the most healthiest on that or table. Keep pudhing forward my friend. One day at a time. You just need to reach sleeve date then sleeve will help you from there.....much luck!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using the BariatricPal App

I specifically didn't cheat because I was trying to recondition myself mentally, prior to surgery. My thinking was, if I couldn't succeed at following the rules for two weeks pre-surgery, how was I going to succeed at this long-term? I took a lot of pride in sticking to the plan, and it paid off when I weighed in the morning of surgery. I feel that pre-op diet really set the tone, for me.

Wow... thanks to everyone in here who can be an adult and hold a real conversation without trying to disrespect or judge the next person. There's better ways to get your point across. But anywho for the ones that care I told my doc of my "cheats" or whatever the should be called and he was ok with that n not upset about me taking the laxative that one time for that reason. He told me a lot of ppl do cleanse prior to but he did not require one. That being said I was sleeved 10/31/16 @ 245lbs.

Ptish-tosh. C'mon, folks, let's pretend to be grown-ups. This isn't the least entertaining.

That said, good attempt at deflecting from the actual topic at hand. And trust me, telling me to "move on" will get you no where.

How about "girl bye"?

Yeah, girl by! would have been equally appropriate and I was tempted... Lol

I could have also attached several studies that have been done that show there is minimal indication that the pre-op diets have improved surgical outcomes (hence the reason that in certain areas surgeons no longer even require it). But truthfully I believe you should follow your surgeons orders, this is the way it has been done and it could only help, not hurt... so I opted not to.

I just hate it when people judge other people and try to push their beliefs on others in that way. Especially since the original poster was so specific about that.

I cheated once during my pre-op and I've been totally slacking lately. I was doing good but then I moved to a mew state, went through some marital issues, and a lot more. I also haven't been on this site for over a year. I know it's those are excuses but I'm going to het back on track. I am back in school (nursing), we are working on our marital issues, and I just stocked up on my Protein powders and got a gym membership. Time for me to work on me--again :)

I had a few glasses of wine and i really stresses over it. That was my turning point of pre op diet. I put my stages in steps. Pre op diet was 1st step. Follow pre op diet to be the most healthiest on that or table. Keep pudhing forward my friend. One day at a time. You just need to reach sleeve date then sleeve will help you from there.....much luck!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using the BariatricPal App

Alcohol should definitely not be in the pre-op diet. Alcohol is known to cause liver inflammation that lasts up to a couple of weeks.

How about "girl bye"?

Yeah, girl by! would have been equally appropriate and I was tempted... Lol

I could have also attached several studies that have been done that show there is minimal indication that the pre-op diets have improved surgical outcomes (hence the reason that in certain areas surgeons no longer even require it). But truthfully I believe you should follow your surgeons orders, this is the way it has been done and it could only help, not hurt... so I opted not to.

I just hate it when people judge other people and try to push their beliefs on others in that way. Especially since the original poster was so specific about that.

Clearly you did not comprehend (from my pesky quote) that I was wishing the original poster luck with the "hunger pain" going away. For some the sensation of hunger does, for some it doesn't. A great example of ASSuming. (Your words, not mine.). ;)

Clearly you were just looking to pick a fight. Sorry, I will not accommodate you there.