Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Round Two - Band to Sleeve

Hi All,

I am all set for my sleeve surgery on November 8th. I have mixed emotions, I am excited and also nervous. I had the band back in 2008, had my ups and downs, gained and lost, not different than i have been my entire life. Finally had it out because my body started to rejected it. At that time my doctor suggested the sleeve and I said no, I don't want another surgery, I want to so this on my own. Well, a year later and a lot heavier here I am. I am nervous, I am sure recovery will be tougher, I am almost 10 years older.. I probably read too much and definitely stress too much, from what I see on here most folks say this was the best decision of their life. Guess I thought that with the band,

I am a 43 year old male, had a weight issue my entire life. Getting to the point of having surgery in my mind is a last resort. I know it is only a tool, and we have to use it as such, I just feel like I failed last time and figured out a way to "eat around" the band, what is going to happen this time. I was originally scheduled to do this in September, but got ill and had to postpone (which was brutal). I am keeping the surgery quiet - only a select few know about it, which is another issue because none of them want me to have it. I think they just think i can do it, and after last time they probably don't have much faith. I am trying to remain positive - I need this to work, I want to be healthier.

One thing I worry about though is the message I am sending to my children. They know about the last surgery and this upcoming one as well. One of the three has a weight issue and despite my wife and I trying to help him, I worry he will think being overweight is "OK", one day I can just have a surgery like Dad. I know, I know, I am certainly not the most positive person, especially when it comes to myself. I had a pretty crappy childhood.

Anyway, all feedback is welcomed! Hope I didn't ramble too much....

Congratz on your decision to have the sleeve. I'm sorry to hear of your hardship. I, too, didn't tell many people about my revision (nor did I tell many about my lap band in 09). It's not because I am ashamed but more I'm just a private person by nature. I think you'll find the sleeve to be a useful tool, and the numbers are on your side for you to be able to be successful. Since you had the band, you already know the drill as far as chewing your food really well, not drinking till 30 min after a meal so I think you will do well as long as you are committed to a healthier lifestyle. If you live by these rules plus always eat Protein first, and drink 64 oz of Water a day, you'll be set.

Wishing you success!

I am so glad to find other people in the same boat as me. Had the lapband almost ten years ago and had it removed after five years, with no weight loss to show for it. I felt like such a failure . Now I am considering getting the sleeve, but I am afraid it will end the same way.

I'm also a LapBand to sleeve revision. My band started to go bad a few years ago and I'm thrilled that the thing is gone.

I'm not quite two weeks post op yet, but I will tell you, I'm already so far ahead of where I was with the band. I'm down 17 pounds since pre op started. It took me two months to have that with the band.

I wish that the sleeve had been available in 2010.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by rkimom

I'm also a LapBand to sleeve revision. My band started to go bad a few years ago and I'm thrilled that the thing is gone.

I'm not quite two weeks post op yet, but I will tell you, I'm already so far ahead of where I was with the band. I'm down 17 pounds since pre op started. It took me two months to have that with the band.

I wish that the sleeve had been available in 2010.

I know a big part of my failure with the band was my fault, but it really didn't do what we were told it would do! I wasn't able to eat healthy food regularly because it would get stuck. And it would change from day to day- one day, I'd be able to eat grilled chicken and some veggies, and the next, a forkful of scrambled eggs would get stuck and cause 12 hours of discomfort. I ended up developing really bad habits, because junk food (ice creams, sweets, carbs) went down easily all the time, whereas healthy foods were iffy.

So now I am wondering what, if anything, would be different with the sleeve. The band didn't keep me from overeating, or from grazing and eating out of boredom. The sleeve won't help with that problem either, since that's a problem in my head. My hope is that a.) i find a therapist who will help me conquer my food addiction, and b.) the initial weight loss (which I didn't have with the lapband) will motivate me to continue with good habits.

@@ZinNH I'm a little over 2 months post op, and what I've found is that during the day, I have to eat every 2 to 3 hrs anyway because I can't eat more than 3-4 oz at a time. It's true that the slider foods are the same with the band and the sleeve... High calorie liquids, chips, cake... Etc. However, for me, I am finding it is far easier, less willpower needed, choosing healthy foods. I had to exercise a LOT of willpower when I had the band not to eat slider foods. For years, I'd get stuck on an healthy things. For example, I can munch an apple now and enjoy all the nutrition it gives my body. I can eat anything I want but just much less of it. It's like a normal stomach but much smaller. If you go one bite too many, one will feel absolutely miserable. I did that once and haven't came close to it since. It was that bad. Fast heartbeat, nausea, almost like having a heart attack. Everybody gets different symptoms though.

As far as head hunger, we all suffer from it, but the removal of ghrelin does help the cravings, and in turn, you naturally make better decisions. I think it's important to have it done with success on your mind. I miss my band sometimes (I had a successful band with little complications except a finicky sweet spot was annoying, expensive and time consuming) but no regrets. I've known quite a few with food addiction, and after the sleeve they also see a therapist and they are successful. I personally go to online OA meetings (Overeaters Anonymous) when I start feeling those unwanted feelings of obsession with food.< /p>

@@ZinNH I'm a little over 2 months post op, and what I've found is that during the day, I have to eat every 2 to 3 hrs anyway because I can't eat more than 3-4 oz at a time. It's true that the slider foods are the same with the band and the sleeve... High calorie liquids, chips, cake... Etc. However, for me, I am finding it is far easier, less willpower needed, choosing healthy foods. I had to exercise a LOT of willpower when I had the band not to eat slider foods. For years, I'd get stuck on an healthy things. For example, I can munch an apple now and enjoy all the nutrition it gives my body. I can eat anything I want but just much less of it. It's like a normal stomach but much smaller. If you go one bite too many, one will feel absolutely miserable. I did that once and haven't came close to it since. It was that bad. Fast heartbeat, nausea, almost like having a heart attack. Everybody gets different symptoms though.

As far as head hunger, we all suffer from it, but the removal of ghrelin does help the cravings, and in turn, you naturally make better decisions. I think it's important to have it done with success on your mind. I miss my band sometimes (I had a successful band with little complications except a finicky sweet spot was annoying, expensive and time consuming) but no regrets. I've known quite a few with food addiction, and after the sleeve they also see a therapist and they are successful. I personally go to online OA meetings (Overeaters Anonymous) when I start feeling those unwanted feelings of obsession with food.< /p>

I had no idea that there were online OA meetings! I tried to go to a local one a few months ago, but lost my nerve. I need to look into this option!

I had no idea that there were online OA meetings! I tried to go to a local one a few months ago, but lost my nerve. I need to look into this option!

Throughout the day and night too. Here is the main link that lists all of them. Just select your time and your options.

https://oa.org/find-a-meeting/?type=1

@@BSWhip08

I had band to sleeve revision 4 weeks ago. And I wanted to say that even though we're all different, for me personally, the recovery from getting the sleeve was way less painful than the band. My tummy didn't hurt at all like it did with the band. I was shocked at how easy the recovery was. And I too had my band about 10 years ago.

I'm only 4 weeks out so I don't know what the future holds, but I can say that I don't feel hungry and I have to force myself to eat most of the time. It's definitely nothing like the band.

Lastly, your kids will be fine. I'm sure they'll see you becoming healthier and more active and just be happy that you aren't struggling anymore. I don't look at my parents and think because they did xyz that I'm going to do that too. Kids will be kids, they'll do what they want regardless, but at the end of the day they'll be just fine.

Good luck with your surgery.

@@Nikkinee Yes, I actually made a topic in the Band to Sleeve revision asking if those that had the band to sleeve find themselves to have an easier recovery. By day 3, I felt normal except for muscular pain like one would feel if they had done too many sit ups. Only bad time was the first 4 hrs after my surgery, then I slept on Day 2. I chalked it up to having the most awesome surgeon but I'm seeing it time and time again. I can tolerate all foods, and right away I could drink Water like crazy.

I never had any other surgery but I been on a Jo Jo with weight all my life, always the bigger friend and biggest sister..I am also a private person so this decision was mine and mine alone. I researched and know this (sleeve) is my right choice for a life change..Thank you guys, needed this panel before my Nove. 9th date????

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App