Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I over thinking clothes buying?

I have a tendency to overthink everything, but how do people go about buying clothes during the post-op weight loss phase? I'd imagine you don't stay one size very long, but that might not apply to everyone? How do you go about planning what to wear and how often to replace your clothes? Hope this isn't a dumb question!

I generally bought new clothes when my old ones were getting too big.* Thrift stores, EBay, thredup.com and Kohls were my mainstays.

*Sometimes I had to push myself to realize that clothese were, in fact, getting too big. I think we all get used to seeing ourselves a certain way. So occasionally I would make myself go into a store and try on clothes I thought would be too small just as a check. And in fact the clothes I thought were too small never were!

A lot has to do with economics...

What can you afford to do?!

I found I skipped sizes..like I went from 18-12 boom. Not much in between. I managed to live in the 18's for a while, but since exercise was my main focus, I did spend money on yoga pants and jogging pants that fit regularly.

I also purchased some really cute skirts -not cheap- with fabric that had some stretch-- and would go down with me. It was certainly worth it to have 4 or 5 skirts to wear that were pretty, flattering, and fit well.

I'm not a second hand clothing shopper, but others are and have done well.

I would suggest purchasing some cute tops you can pair with a couple pairs of different pants, and don't be afraid to try a size or two lower than you think fits. How you shed weight now may be different than in the past. For me, weight gain was always in my legs when I was younger if I put on 10 pounds or so and always the last to go. This time, it was really pretty evenly spread, but the legs went faster.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Wow ladies! Thanks for the advice. I think I was trying to hard to figure out something seemingly pretty common sense. However, the skirts idea is a good one. I'm not a skirt person, but I guess I better be one soon!

I'm having my surgery in December, so I still have some time to maybe catch some sales!

Certainly don't buy a complete wardrobe each time you go down a size, but keep in mind that, no matter a person's size, clothes that fit well make a difference. When they're too baggy, the look is sloppy. Too tight and the look is, well, uncomfortable at best. Pick up even two or three basic pieces when the things you have are hanging on you. Some of the loose things can be improved by adding a belt.

I say basic styles because they're easier to mix and match with things you'll continue to wear for a while. Bufflehead's suggestions for sources are right on. Unless your budget has lots of leeway, there's no point in buying expensive for things you'll need to replace pretty soon.

If you attend any WLS support groups or know others who are losing weight, suggest getting together to exchange clothes.

Planning what not to wear is easy. One example is pants. If the hems of a pair that's been a good length suddenly end up under the heels of your shoes while you're walking down the street, it's time to retire the pants.

It's not as big a problem as you may think. Keep it simple.

Consignment shops, thrift shops and Kohl's. I bought a pair of black slacks at a consignment shop two weeks ago and I'm going to re-consign them because they are too big now. I'm 2 months out and have gone from an 18 or 20 in pants to a 14 heading for a 12. Skirts have become a go-to because you can hide a lot of sins in a skirt. Also, I'm now thin enough that I can wear leggings and tunic tops -- the leggings are great -- they stretch down with you.

I have gone with places like Ross, Burkes, and the Macy's clearance department. I only buy a few things at a time for work and church to get by until I reach goal weight. When at home I'm sure I look quite funny because I still wear my old 4X tops with leggings even though I am in a m/l top now.

I use Ross,Marshalls, and a second hand store, and the sales racks everywhere! I only buy one or two pair of pants as needed. Am down to a size 14 from 20-22. I haven't been able to work since May '15 so don't need an extensive wardrobe. I have LOTS of stretch pant and leggings work really well for me.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

It's tricky. I would say go with the flow as you lose, based on what your needs are at that time. It's really hard to gauge how long you will stay at one size, how many sizes you might skip over etc. I had gained weight pretty steadily over the last few years so before surgery I went through my closets and set aside all my nice smaller clothes that I thought I would enjoy wearing as I got slimmer post-op. Now that I'm 4 months post and 50 lbs down, I've tried on quite a few and honestly a lot of them just never really fit right at any point!

If you're like me, you'll want to try to stay in well fitting clothes because that's the best way to flaunt your weight loss and enjoy your new figure. Plus everyone looks better in well fitting clothes! So things like tailored pants, leggings, blazers, sheath dresses I've had to buy new. Stuff like t-shirts, relaxed fitting pants (like cargos and sweats), fit and flare dresses etc I've been able to salvage through more than a few sizes. I've done pretty OK by tying a sash or belt around some dresses as well.

I can find tops anywhere - Target, Walmart, Kohls, consignment shops. Where I'm heck to fit are pants. I have some pants in sizes smaller, and will use them as I'm able. For the rest of it, I am making a couple of drawstring maxi skirts in navy and black to get me through the gaps. I will be doing a very minimalist wardrobe until I get to goal.

I buy most of my stuff at thrift stores, most even have the store tags attached still! Or the discount type stores. I try to buy what I need because now that I like the clothes I fit in I don't want to give them up!!! It's so hard though because I used to buy what "looked ok" and now I usually like everything I try on!! When I was loosing at a faster pace, when the pants got baggy I would buy ones that were tight again, mostly the stretchy denim type worked well. I think I went from a 18 to a 14 then 10, I'm now in a 8, I now have a few pairs because I'm in them for longer...

Edited by mistycal

I was sleeved in March and so far i have been going through my old stash of clothes but they are all still baggy. The sloppy look is not cute for the office, so I will be buying some new office wear pieces. I live in Ivory Coast and tailoring is really good. I am getting lots of cute dresses made. Even twinning with my kids!

What sucks is the month before I decided to do this I got rid of so many clothes I kept hanging on to bc I kept saying I will fit back in them one day even a pair of dice 10/12 that I haven't fit in 8 years and made my husband burn them bc I was so disgusted now I may slowly start fitting into them again and I have none left. So I'm just gunna do thrift stores till I'm at a stable weight and hopefully goal weight I have my surgery on nov 22

If you haven't worn it in more than five years, sell or donate it. It will be out of style anyway and you'll make room in your closet for newer, better things. Also thrift stores are the BEST. I shopped at them even before I put on weight I love them so much.

Edited by eso