Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@@blazermom I know right lol I didn't expect everyone to jump down my throat it is crazy it kind of detirs me to post on this site if you really look at the nutritional content of it it's much better then a lot of stuff out there

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I wasn't jumping down your throat at all. I was simply giving you a different perspective as someone who has been there/done that/won the grand prize. If you prefer to eat ice cream (no matter the content) at two weeks out, more power to you!

You're grown and you clearly know what's best for your body. :D

I love Halo Top! I was prepared to be disappointed by it because other ice creams with similarly impressive nutrition stats taste like old snow with a bit of Splenda on top (like Arctic Zero), but was very pleasantly surprised. To restate the obvious, we're all unique with what hinders and what helps us in regards to weight loss. For me, rather than reasonable sweets being a slippery slope to a gluttonous overindulgence, it keeps me from running to the edge. I find it easier to abstain from other temptations knowing that I have something to satisfy my sweet tooth. I've been having dessert since having surgery, but just changed out my options. Instead of eating a brownie or a cookie, I'll have a popsicle, lemon bar (10 carbs from Trader Joe's), or Halo Top. I've actually found that I've lost more weight when the dessert is added in than when I've removed it. My calories had been too low, and when I started including Halo Top at night it helped to break a lengthy stall that I hit while trying to lose the last 20 pounds.

The half cup portion is perfectly satisfying to me. I've never eaten the whole pint in one sitting, though at 240-290 calories it wouldn't be that damaging. One of the perks of it for me is that you cannot just eat it right out of the freezer because of the consistency. You must let it sit on the counter for a while for it to soften to a creamy state. That prevents me from just taking a spoonful at a time (and eating the whole pint mindlessly). I always use a measuring cup and take out the serving, then put the carton right back into the freezer so I won't be tempted to get a second scoop.

I think having a portion size of Halo Top during the soft foods stage is sensible so long as the person isn't worried that it will trigger a desire to rush out and buy Ben & Jerry's or otherwise overdo it. My favorite flavor is oatmeal Cookie. :)

I just bought this ice cream because I was looking at frozen yogurts and they have more sugar then this ice cream I'm almost two weeks post op but I'm not going to eat this until I talk to my surgeon

I am 3.5 years out and have been in maintenance for over 2.5 years. I've heard of Halo ice cream but I've not tried it, nor do I really plan to. I was never a huge sweets person, but if I did indulge, ice cream was definitely my dessert of choice. Life is already filled with temptation at every turn, I see no need to purposefully bring another into my life.

In reading this thread, I have two "issues" for lack of better word. First and foremost, I am not sure why one would even consider buying ice cream of any sort at only two weeks out. I applaud your thought process of talking to your surgeon before eating it but just the fact that you brought it home gives you license to eat it regardless of that conversation when you hit a weak moment. Why have that little carton of yum whispering to you in the freezer when you should be concentrating on changing your habits? Along with that, you now have all this "validation" that it's OK for you when really, it is NOT AT ALL IDEAL at your stage in the game. You have people telling you how delicious it is and even one telling you that "most people cheat" so you can too. (Insert HUGE eyeroll here.) Later maybe, but not now.

My second "issue" is that fact that there is still the thought process that food is a "treat". That's a road directly back to Fatty Mcfatpants, a place I never want to revisit. A treat is a concert tickets and fitting comfortably through the crowd and in your seat. A treat is a new pair of skinny jeans in the single digit sizes. A treat is newly found collar bones and hip bones. A treat is fresh flowers on the kitchen table or a new trashy novel to enjoy on the next rainy day. A treat is a session on treadmill or a hike up a mountain without losing your breath immediately.

You aren't a dog. food is no longer a "treat" and what exactly is it "rewarding"?

Fatty McFatpants!!!!!!

I've thought about using this instead of milk to make my Protein shakes taste less like @$$ but not willing to go down that road.

I think if a little Halo ice cream, once in a blue moon makes you happy...then yay, awesome! If hiking up a mountain, going to a concert makes you happy...then yay too! This surgery has given me a tool to make life better, healthier and happier. I don't want to stress myself out focusing on food denial...nor do I want to be the sad couch potato I let myself become. Live life happy. I'm going to the gym for the first time in my life, working hard, but I just might look for that halo ice cream everyone talks of too...I just think everyone is different and don't forget to enjoy life. We can be happy and still stay on our program.

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

I don't disagree with you at all once someone has hit maintenance. I do disagree with this mentality at 5 days, 2 weeks, 4 months out. ;)

I think it is better to wait till you are on solid foods and off the restrictions, when things start to normalize. But it is up to the individual. They will learn one way or another.

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

I ate carbsmart Breyer's ice cream for a few times then one night I ate chicken which after two bites it makes me full.( chicken is very hard for me) I didn't Waite long enough time for the chicken to be out of my stomach so I ate the ice cream. 15 min later I'm puking it all up have not craved it sense Yayyy loll

I ate carbsmart Breyer's ice cream for a few times then one night I ate chicken which after two bites it makes me full.( chicken is very hard for me) I didn't Waite long enough time for the chicken to be out of my stomach so I ate the ice cream. 15 min later I'm puking it all up have not craved it sense Yayyy loll

Not really funny that you got sick, but chicken about did me in two months post sleeve. I really thought I chewed it well.

Not really funny that you got sick, but chicken about did me in two months post sleeve. I really thought I chewed it well.
Chicken just got the best of me. Ughhh does my sleeve hurt!

@

I have been buying Halo Top for months. A pint lasts me, 6-8 weeks. I never finish one, I end up tossing them. I weigh my portion and I have 1/2 a portion about a time, so about 35-40 calories a pop.

I don't like ice cream so its not an issue to me. If I ever went nuts and ate a whole container, the whole thing is 240 calories, I struggle to get enough calories every day anyway so it wouldn't matter to me.

The macros and ingredients make sense to me, and I like it. I haven't had any in about 3 months because I kept wasting it but I think its a great option.

And the macros are better than most of the yogurts that people eat on here. Also with all the people that are eating pulled pork in BBQ Sauce and other things. And lets not forget the trash macros of PB2.

And @@Clementine Sky is right. The consistency, taste and a lot of other things about it make is basically impossible to just graze on or munch on or over eat. It takes a little work, it isn't like normal ice cream even though it tastes like normal ice cream.

If I liked ice cream or had an issue with ice cream I would probably skip it. But I like having it now and then with my Protein brownies just to soften them up and for a change of pace because IMO, the fastest way to get off track of boredom with your food.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I have to apologize to @kris2100. I had no intention of this going the way that it did. I had no desire to have this be bashing. I'm sorry for the way the thread headed.

On 10/26/2016 at 7:06 AM, LipstickLady said:

I am 3.5 years out and have been in maintenance for over 2.5 years. I've heard of Halo ice cream but I've not tried it, nor do I really plan to. I was never a huge sweets person, but if I did indulge, ice cream was definitely my dessert of choice. Life is already filled with temptation at every turn, I see no need to purposefully bring another into my life.

In reading this thread, I have two "issues" for lack of better word. First and foremost, I am not sure why one would even consider buying ice cream of any sort at only two weeks out. I applaud your thought process of talking to your surgeon before eating it but just the fact that you brought it home gives you license to eat it regardless of that conversation when you hit a weak moment. Why have that little carton of yum whispering to you in the freezer when you should be concentrating on changing your habits? Along with that, you now have all this "validation" that it's OK for you when really, it is NOT AT ALL IDEAL at your stage in the game. You have people telling you how delicious it is and even one telling you that "most people cheat" so you can too. (Insert HUGE eyeroll here.) Later maybe, but not now.

My second "issue" is that fact that there is still the thought process that food is a "treat". That's a road directly back to Fatty Mcfatpants, a place I never want to revisit. A treat is a concert tickets and fitting comfortably through the crowd and in your seat. A treat is a new pair of skinny jeans in the single digit sizes. A treat is newly found collar bones and hip bones. A treat is fresh flowers on the kitchen table or a new trashy novel to enjoy on the next rainy day. A treat is a session on treadmill or a hike up a mountain without losing your breath immediately.

You aren't a dog. food is no longer a "treat" and what exactly is it "rewarding"?

As I was first reading this I rolled my eyes. However, glad I continued because it was not something I wanted to hear, but something I needed to. Every time I get a craving for food, I will use this reward idea instead. Lord, I will go from a food addict to a shopping addict! Lol!

All I know is I bought some pre-op just to see what the fuss was about. Made a big ole cup of ice cream, and yuck. The lemon cake was awful. I put it on the counter top to wash in the morning. Morning came and there it was, sitting there exactly as I left it. In the same mounded shape with one spoonful missing. It did not melt. In my book that ain't right! #frankenfood

On 26/10/2016 at 3:15 AM, kris2100 said:

It's 60 calories 4 g of sugar and 6 gram of Protein

I was allowed ice cream in my puree phase lol it was on my plan , i had it once, I did not go back for more. I told my nut that seems like a bad idea to have on the plan she said alittle amount will not make you unhealthy we want you to eat everything balanced, its true i could not before which is how i got fat, but i had it that once, and did not feel the need to have it again. its your journey ;)

Edited by dreamingsmall