Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

very slow loser, completely stalled

help!! i had the sleeve done on december 26th. i lost 72lbs (started at 283). i havent lost a single pound since early july. i go the gym about 5 days a week to lift weights, play volleyball, softball and pickleball combined two or three times a week and i go to zumba twice i week. i also try to run a couple time for more cardio.

i know i dont drink nearly enough Water, but that cant be the only reason the scale hasnt moved in over three months. im trying to figure out what im doing wrong.

during the day i tend to graze, rather than eat three meals with two Snacks. but i find that im always hungry, not matter what and when i eat. for instance, today i ate 1.5 hard boiled eggs for Breakfast and was hungry an hour later. and not head hungry, but STARVING, the way i was prior to the surgery.

does anyone have any advice or ideas? has this happened to anyone else? three and a half months seems excessive for a stall.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@surfhudson Congrats on your weight loss. Grazing and not getting enough Water could be the problem. How much Protein are you getting? That's a significant amount of exercise and you need protein and fluids. By grazing- you're probably not tracking macros. Are you staying low carb? Too few calories? shake things up - add more protein, healthy carbs like veggies and fruit, healthy fats, increase calories (or reduce if too high), drink more water.

Three+ months of no weight loss isn't a stall, it's maintenance. It means you aren't eating at a caloric deficit.

You have been really successful at losing weight -- you know how you ate when you were losing weight. That's what you need to do again. Exercise is great, but the battle to lose weight is won in the kitchen, not in the gym.

If you aren't already, carefully weigh or measure your portions and track your intake on MyFitnessPal or a similar app, at least for a few weeks, in order to get a clear picture of exactly how many calories you are taking in.

If you are like most people who have been morbidly obese, your maintenance calorie level would be about 2100 calories per day (current weight x 10).

To lose a pound a week, eat 1600 calories per day (do not count calories burned via exercise and try to "eat them back.").

To lose 2 pounds per week, eat 1100 calories per day.

If you are very confident about your calorie intake and tracking and not losing at those amounts, your resting metabolic rate may be lower than that and you need to drop your calories further.

As far as hunger goes -- yes, hunger comes back. You need to learn ways to deal with it other than eating. You can never out-eat hunger. It is okay to be hungry. Hunger doesn't mean you are about to starve to death. I did Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to learn ways of dealing with hunger other than eating. Some simple techniques are things like planning all your eating at the beginning of the day and writing down your food plan. Then when you get hungry, you remind yourself "I'm hungry, but that's okay. I can wait until 11 AM when I get my chicken breast snack."

Good luck!

Edited by Bufflehead

You are doing so well! Good for you for hanging on through this stall.

Just a thought -- are you journaling everything you eat? One thing you might do (just to see if you can figure out why you aren't losing) is track everything for a week and see what your daily calorie and Protein intake is like. If it's low and you are finding yourself hungry all the time, I'd look to see if you could add in more filling (i.e. high Protein, high fiber) food to replace what you are eating today.

Also, I'd think about reaching out to your Doctor's office and/or a nutritionist to see if they have suggestions.

help!! i had the sleeve done on december 26th. i lost 72lbs (started at 283). i havent lost a single pound since early july. i go the gym about 5 days a week to lift weights, play volleyball, softball and pickleball combined two or three times a week and i go to zumba twice i week. i also try to run a couple time for more cardio.

i know i dont drink nearly enough Water, but that cant be the only reason the scale hasnt moved in over three months. im trying to figure out what im doing wrong.

during the day i tend to graze, rather than eat three meals with two Snacks. but i find that im always hungry, not matter what and when i eat. for instance, today i ate 1.5 hard boiled eggs for breakfast and was hungry an hour later. and not head hungry, but STARVING, the way i was prior to the surgery.

does anyone have any advice or ideas? has this happened to anyone else? three and a half months seems excessive for a stall.

Drink your water! Especially if you are working out intensely, you need AT LEAST 64 oz of Fluid (more if you are exercising a lot).

How are you doing at getting in all of your Protein? Are you tracking your food? What is your Protein target?

When you graze, what are you eating? Are you eating protein?

There is a huge difference between eating protein frequently and grazing on carbs, starches, and sugars.

Are you eating enough to support your exercise level?

Have you talked to your NUT lately?

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

im not actively eating it, its just in things i eat or drink. like coffee creamer and i do tend to eat sweets even though i try really hard not to. but i did notice there is sugar in my drinks.

If you are choosing foods with sugar then you are actively eating it. Eating sugar will make you crave sugar.

i dont know how do directly reply to a comment. @innersurfergirl, thank you. your questions really have me thinking about what im eating each day. i did download my fitness pal and i just bought soy Protein powder to start making shakes for breakfast and for in between workouts.

i dont drink nearly enough Water or consume enough Protein. hopefully these shakes will help with the protein.

Hi surf,

I am in a similar boat, sleeved in December, very physically active, eating low carb, probably not enough Water, for the most part, 3 meals a day, and I've seen very little loss since the beginning of august.

I am trying not to get discouraged. But I feel similar to what you're saying. My nutritionist has encouraged me to record everything I eat - which I believe is helpful. I think I do all or nothing thinking sometimes with that - when I miss one meal it throws me off from recording altogether.

I am to the place where I feel hunger quite regularly. Haven't yet been able to see clear patterns re my hunger and pull for grazing as they relate to my water and Protein and other diet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something else I was thinking about ... I do think I find a correlation between cravings for sugar/sweets and exercise. When I work out hard, the next day or two are filled with strong impulses to eat sweets. My main rule that works pretty well is limiting a very small amount of sweets to a certain day a week - then not at all other days. That way intake is minimal, but it'd not sworn off forever and a giant failure when I eat it. But when I'm exercising hard, it seems much more difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

during the day i tend to graze, rather than eat three meals with two Snacks. but i find that im always hungry, not matter what and when i eat. for instance, today i ate 1.5 hard boiled eggs for breakfast and was hungry an hour later. and not head hungry, but STARVING, the way i was prior to the surgery.

s

Are you logging all what you eat (Calories, carbs, fats, protein)? Through time we tend to increase calories, carbs... etc without realizing it if we don't log every bite we take. For me, it's a daily reflection to how I felt that day and why I made certain choices, and what I could do better tomorrow (or repeat if it's good). It's hard to give tips if we don't know your daily calorie/carb intake except for the obvious cut down on your calories or carbs.

@@Sai

i wasnt, but i finally started logging everything. i didnt realize i was eating so much sugar. i just thought with the very limited amount of food i eat, i wasnt consuming a lot of carbs. funny how wrong i was. its a fresh start for me.