Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Year out, already on iron infusions despite massive iron dosages.

I'm a little over a year out of RNY (15 months) and already I'm dealing with nutritional deficiencies along with anemia. I take Bariatric Advantage chewable Multivitamin twice daily (all spaced out over the day), I take extra Calcium, B-12, Biotin, magnesium, zinc, omega-3, and folic acid. Basically, I'm doing everything right and eating a very balanced diet AND still I'm dealing with anemia (which is common) and my calcium, Protein, is falling fast (I get about 80 grams of protein a day). I'm so disillusioned and upset. I've done everything correctly. My ferritin has dropped 40 points since my surgery. I'm getting my first Iron infusion (first of three!) this morning. Has anyone here or anyone you know had to have the gastric bypass reversed because of deficiencies? I'm thinking I'll need to convert almost all my Vitamins to sublingual or opt for shots. Very sad.

Hi Stefanie,

I'm sorry you are struggling with your lab results and Iron levels. It is frustrating to have to keep trakc of all the Vitamins and amount of Protein to stay healthy. I'm almost four years out but it took two years to get my Iron to stop falling. I was getting close to an infusion but got my levels up with supplements. However, from what I have heard, infusions are immediately beneficial and pretty common.

I take everything you listed am and pm minus the b12-I seem to be high with that and had to stop taking it. Everybody is different.

I am taking two types of iron - 50 mg of carbonyl in the morning(Sundown perfect iron) and 25 mg of bisglycinate in the evening (Solgar comfort iron). I also add a chewable Vitamin C with the iron morning and night for absorption. After your infusions, check with your doctor to see if this might be something that may work for you. I don't know how often infusions are needed so maybe all the supplements are more trouble than the infusions.

I just wanted to mention that I take only Calcium citrate - three 500mg chewables spaced out daily. However, you can't take them within two hours of the iron because it interferes with iron absorption so I pop them like a little treat during the day. Bariatric Advantage and Celebrate make really tasty calcium citrate chews in 500mg if you want a change from the chalky chewables.

I'm just passing on information that works for me. Please take it or leave it and run it by your doctor first as always. Good luck with the infusions and don't lose heart. Some days are harder than others but it is worth it!

Bonnie

I was taking about 120mg of carbonyl Iron and 120mg of bisglycinate once a day plus chewable Vitamin C with desiccated liver pills and an Iron rich diet. I know about how to space out Calcium. That was never the issue

Some people simply don't absorb oral iron supplements. I learned more from my hematologist about bariatrics than I did from my bariatric center. Once your ferritin drops below 50-ish, your body loses its ability to properly absorb iron supplements anyways. After my first infusion, I was told I'd more than likely be IV iron dependent the rest of my life. Not everyone's story turns out the same, unfortunately.

I'm a little over a year out of RNY (15 months) and already I'm dealing with nutritional deficiencies along with anemia. I take Bariatric Advantage chewable Multivitamin twice daily (all spaced out over the day), I take extra Calcium, B-12, Biotin, magnesium, zinc, omega-3, and folic acid. Basically, I'm doing everything right and eating a very balanced diet AND still I'm dealing with anemia (which is common) and my calcium, Protein, is falling fast (I get about 80 grams of Protein a day). I'm so disillusioned and upset. I've done everything correctly. My ferritin has dropped 40 points since my surgery. I'm getting my first Iron infusion (first of three!) this morning. Has anyone here or anyone you know had to have the gastric bypass reversed because of deficiencies? I'm thinking I'll need to convert almost all my Vitamins to sublingual or opt for shots. Very sad.

As part of my pre-pre-op jumping through hoops, my primary doctor sent me to a hematologist due to low Iron. I may have some type of mild Mediterranean anemia (Thalassemia) and my hematologist said I have to be careful taking iron supplements because it can cause "iron load" in my organs. I had 2 infusions (of ferratin, I believe) over the summer and my iron numbers came up. Have you seen a hematologist? It might help to really zero in on the issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I'm not a year out yet, from my revision, I have had all 3 Bariatric surgeries, in the last 11 years, do to complications, I am now anemic and was told that I will need an Iron infusion and I also give myself a B12 shot every 2 weeks, how did you feel after the infusion ?

A year or so ago they came out with ProCare vitamins.It has every thing you need except the Calcium and extra iron.I had the sleeve in 2011 and it was hard to get everything in.My Dr recommended Vitron C.It is easier on your stomach and has Vitamin C in it.I used to have to take these 3 times a day.Now I take 2.I'm 3 1/2 weeks out from bypass so I guess my fist labs will tell me if I need to bump it up.

Hope they can get everyone Iron levels up.