Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do any of you vets completely ignore this rule?

Never and I wouldn't. People who say it doesn't stretch their sleeve cannot know this. Are they getting tested to find out if their sleeve a stretched? Studies have shown that carbonation does stretch the stomach.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@tenseintexas

My food choices are mine. I own it. I'm the only one who has to be happy with my results. I followed the rules and had slip ups here and there. I mostly make healthy choices because my goal was to be healthy. I'm 2.5 years out and maintaining. I do indulge once in a while. If the scale moves up I hit the gym harder.

I trust how my body feels. I have a diet coke at the theater...I feel like crap the next day. I'm back on to healthy eating. Food/drinks effects each of us differently.

Never and I wouldn't. People who say it doesn't stretch their sleeve cannot know this. Are they getting tested to find out if their sleeve a stretched? Studies have shown that carbonation does stretch the stomach.

@@autymn

No. Just....no.

I know it doesn't stretch the sleeve because I can eat the exact same amount I could a year ago and I've been drinking carbonation for a year. There's your "study".

I let a Diet Pepsi go flat and tried it. It wasn't good. Last week I took the tiniest sip of a diet Mountain Dew and all I could taste was salt. Iced tea and flavored water it is!

Last March in 2016 was the last I ever had soda!! I used to be a heavy Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi! I will never have pop again maybe just maybe when I'm at my goal weight or maintenance phase. But right now I thank god im just addicted to Water and water is all I have to drink. It will be a year this march since I'm Soda free!! Water is the best suggestion for rapid Weightloss and of course Protein protein!!

I cannot stand the after taste from diet anything and it doesn't matter if it is a natural sweetener like stevia extract or sucrose artificial. I gave up soda before I turned 20 but I used to love good premium beer, draft or craft. I don't drink beer at all I'm 63 and now I'm usually wine or something on the rocks because I know beer will bloat the hell out of you.

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20739512,00.html

I'm sorry but diet sodas are poison. They are NOT better for you than regular soda...which is poison, too.

I'll be blunt here and say you'd be wise to use this as an opportunity to break your habit forever. Bubbles don't mix with this surgery, nor is soda part of a healthier lifestyle. If you don't adopt a healthier lifestyle you're doing this surgery for nothing.

Sorry, I'm sure you were hoping for another answer.

I'm a year out. Not sure if that makes me a vet or a newbie! I sneak sips from family, but it's all I can do because it makes me uncomfortable. Used to be addicted to Dt. Dew. Don't miss it. But I drink out of (gasp!) straws all the time with no issue. I chew gum (another gasp!) and I drink alcohol. This is life. It's my own rules. Do what you want. It's your life.

I was a Diet Coke junkie. I've never had coffee. Other than the weight loss.. the best thing this surgery did for me was get me off that crap. I'm very sad that I also have to give up beer.. bcs I really enjoy it.. the taste. I was VERY surprised at the first Bariatric support group when I saw they had sodas out for us to drink. But it seems some people can still drink it.. but I'm not going to try. Not worth all I've gone through to regress with that garbage.

I am over 4 years out and as most new sleevers are, I was a strict rule follower in the beginning. No diet soda for me. Pre-sleeve I was addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper. I stayed away from all of soda for a year to 18 months. I got super skinny and a little too comfortable and a bit cocky. I could afford to gain some weight. I NEEDED to gain some weight. Well, I gained weight! At my lowest I was 112 and just a couple a months ago I was back up to 150. I am happy to say I am back down to a normal weight of 134 right now. The first thing I did to get things back under control was to cut out the diet soda. It is so much easier to stay away from the carbs without that stuff. I came to a realization that I went through a lot--physically, emotionally, and financially to get my sleeve. I was not going to just let it slip away. I still have about 10 lbs to lose, but I vow to keep soda out of my life forever from now on.

Edited by funinthesun00

I'm not a doctor, but I think for some people carbonated beverages do not cause an issue and for others they do cause issues. I love coke zero, but have not had any since surgery - it really is just a cup of chemicals and terrible for my health (or so I tell myself). I do drink carbonated Poland Spring waters and have since about 1 month post-op. The carbonation doesn't bother me *most* of the time. I kind of let it sit and settle before drinking.

On 1/7/2017 at 11:53 AM, Babbs said:

@@autymn

No. Just....no.

I know it doesn't stretch the sleeve because I can eat the exact same amount I could a year ago and I've been drinking carbonation for a year. There's your "study".

I thought it was a myth that the sleeve can stretch - like maybe if you eat a big meal on a temporary basis like any tummy would, but not a permanent stretch?

I gave up carbonated drinks almost a year before the surgery. So glad I did, I would hate to be craving that now. Once about a month before my surgery I was thirsty and took a sip of my husbands Diet Coke..it was AWFUL! I was sooo happy I had lost my taste for it all together. If you have not had surgery yet, give it up before!