Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do any of you vets completely ignore this rule?

I was sleeved in 2010 and had my first soda in August 2016. It was hard to drink at first, but it tasted so good. I now drink one small can a day of Coke Zero. It goes down well.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I gave up pop when I was a kid. I did not like the feeling of being addicted to the caffeine. It has been extremely unappealing to me for a very long time. I drink Water, but prefer green tea, regular tea, tea with a little fruit in it. Also, an Ice chocolate Protein drink with either a little organic coffee or Peanut Butter powder for flavor. When I'm really in the mood for something decadent, I replace the Water with fairlife regular and chocolate milk mixed. Oh, and Syntax fuzzy navel Protein Drink mixed w/water tastes like orange juice to me, so I still do that sometimes. The coffee thing is new to me. I don't even own a coffee maker. But crave the taste sometimes.

Yes I drink Coke but only small sips haven't been able to finish one

How far ago did u had ur surgery before u attempted to drink it?

Does it make u feel uncomfortable or painful?

????all u can do is try it and see how it goes for u. actually when i first got sleeved a few sips settled my stomach. im 3 yrs out

When did u first attempt? What drink did u go for?

I drink carbonated diet beverages daily. I drank them with a straw for years, but I am now three-years post-op and I just drink them the way I used to- can, bottle, glass, whatever. Diet Dr. Pepper, Diet Pepsi, sugar free Red Bull, Diet Root Beer...I have no issues with carbonation. I lasted on the whole "no diet soda" rule for about 6 weeks and I've had it ever since.

You are saying that 6 weeks post op u started drinking carbonation with no issues?

I am 4 1/2 years out and I drink zero cal energy drinks. They go down fine and have for awhile. I probably didn't have any carbonated drinks for at least the first year. I have regained a bit but it was from a pregnancy and eating crap. I'm going back to basics tomorrow but I'll continue with my energy drinks!

I cant do it...took a swig of a Diet Coke and it made me SO uncomfortable!! Never again. I have had one or two carbonated waters, but i wait until the fizz goes pretty flat. My thing now (post surgery 4 months out) is that i like my drinks to be ICE COLD. whatever it is...practically frozen. it's really weird.

I had my sleeve 6/2015, and was a diet dr. Pepper addict preop. Gave it up cold turkey for 6 months, and then it slowly crept back in. No, my stomach didn't explode, I still lost all the weight, I just burped more. The problem is that I'm back to drinking it all day, everyday and basically gave up Water. It does make me crave sugar which leads to snacking. Over the last 4 months I've put on 15 lbs, and while still below my original goal (175 lbs---hit 165 recently though and trying to get back to 150). it's time for me to get back to basics. I've given it up cold turkey and am doing a 5 day clear liquid reset presently. So my opinion--can you drink soda post sleeve? Yep. Should you? Probably not.

Speaking of carbonated drinks. I love love love seltzer Water, Walmart sells zero everything carbonated water and I would love to drink. Is that a no no as well? Pellegrino calls my name whenever I go to the Italian market. Any advice?

I'm not sure how far are you in recovery but if ur at least 2 months out try a sip and see how you react to it. I hope it goes well.

The real issue with carbonated beverages is how toxic soda and diet sodas are. Some people are bothered by the bubbles, but there is research to support the fact that ingredients in diet soda actually cause weight gain. So the real question is, if you know that that particular had that works against your primary goal of getting leaner and healthier, do you really want to re-introduce it into your life at this time? For the record, I drink carbonated beverages whenever I want but I don't drink them very often. I'm more of a coffee drinker anyway. And the bubbles and carbonated beverages don't bother me at all. I am over a year out of surgery.