Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do any of you vets completely ignore this rule?

Doc told me carbonation will stretch the sleeve.

No, it won't. My sleeve isn't stretched.

I'm three and a half years out, I've been maintaining for two and a half years and drink Coke Zero (from a straw!!) regularly. I can't drink it from a can or from bottle, but I do drink it poured over ice.

It doesn't stretch (MY) sleeve. I don't feel gassy or bloated. It hasn't caused weight gain or cravings. There is really no difference between Coke Zero and Crystal Light besides carbonation, IMO.

I waited until my doctor ok'd it. I was at least six or nine months out before I had any. For me, it wasn't a "rule".

from what I've been told the carbonation is more the potential problem then anything....

Also if you so compare it to crystal light, it really depends bc there's crystal light pure made with truvia which is stevia a natural sweet plant not artificial sweetener

Although the truvia is combined with a tiny bit if sugar alcohol which I learned also makes me sick but that's another topic

One thing to consider though is that research has illustrated that sugar vs sugar free drinks both stimulate the pancreas to produce insulin bc tge body takes it all as sugar period...

It just seems ur doing urself a disservice by drinking si called chemical filled drinks, sodas etc but if nothing else is good enough or works.. idk...it is ur body

You realize you're talking to a 3.5 year veteran of the surgery who has lost all of her excess weight AND kept it off?

I think she's got this.

I specifically remember the OP asking the vets this question? Why do we have newer post ops answering?

Look, no offense, but when we are newly post op, we have a tendency to be pretty rigid with the "rules" and like to see things in absolutes and 'nevers' sometimes. But something you'll learn as you hopefully get to your desired goal weight and then learn to live in maintenance is you find what works for YOU, not someone else. Is it important to adhere to the basic rules of WLS for long term success? Absolutely! But with those, you will find things along the way that will also fit into the equation of living a successful post bariatric surgery life. And 'nevers' and 'always' won't necessarily fit into that equation for everyone. The rest of our lives is a long time.

This might be only "rule" I follow. But mostly because I have no choice. Carbonation causes severe pain for me. A couple sips and that's all I can tolerate. However, if I really really wanted to drink something carbonated, I could manage it if I poured it over ice and let it sit until it was mostly flat. But then it wouldn't be a carbonated beverage anymore, would it?

As for all the rules, the only ones you have to follow are the ones that allow you to lose however much you want, maintain that loss, and promote long term health. The great thing is you can make up and change these rules as you go along, as long as they continue to get you where you want to go.

It just seems ur doing urself a disservice by drinking si called chemical filled drinks, sodas etc but if nothing else is good enough or works.. idk...it is ur body

So...let me tell you how much your opinion means to me ....

;)

You're right. You don't know.

Does anyone drink carbonated diet drinks with regularity?? food still grosses me out but after 9 weeks I still dream about my coke zeros . I wanted to go a year with none but man that's a long time. Yes... I know they recommend never having them again---

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

No, I haven't had any carbonation.

I'm three and a half years out, I've been maintaining for two and a half years and drink Coke Zero (from a straw!!) regularly. I can't drink it from a can or from bottle, but I do drink it poured over ice.

It doesn't stretch (MY) sleeve. I don't feel gassy or bloated. It hasn't caused weight gain or cravings. There is really no difference between Coke Zero and Crystal Light besides carbonation, IMO.

I waited until my doctor ok'd it. I was at least six or nine months out before I had any. For me, it wasn't a "rule".

from what I've been told the carbonation is more the potential problem then anything....

Also if you so compare it to crystal light, it really depends bc there's crystal light pure made with truvia which is stevia a natural sweet plant not artificial sweetener

Although the truvia is combined with a tiny bit if sugar alcohol which I learned also makes me sick but that's another topic

One thing to consider though is that research has illustrated that sugar vs sugar free drinks both stimulate the pancreas to produce insulin bc tge body takes it all as sugar period...

You realize you're talking to a 3.5 year veteran of the surgery who has lost all of her excess weight AND kept it off?

I think she's got this.

yeh cause being a vet and keeping it off means you know everything and a newbie can have nothing helpful to add ...ok

I think she's got this.

yeh cause being a vet and keeping it off means you know everything and a newbie can have nothing helpful to add ...ok

Usually someone with actual experience is a good indicator they may know a thing or two about the subject matter, yes.

Are you for real?

@@Butterflywarrior

You're right! Thank you for enlightening me! You're pre op and struggling with sticking to your diet (per your previous posts). You definitely have a lot to add to MY experience. :D

your support and encouragement are greatly appreciated... still doesn't mean I know nothing about diet soda, carbonation and so on...still doesn't mean I have nothing of value to add.. just bc you are able to drink sugar free soda wo effects doesn't make it good for you and going back looking for a weak post I wrote to pick on and use against be is beyond immature as well as appalling to me. Sure I can get upset and not like what someone says but not going to go look for things there struggling with to bring them down

Wow

There is a lot of science now that is demonstrating links to obesity not just in sugared soda, but also diet. It creates chemical changes in your gut and hormonal changes that contribute to weight gain. I'm a lifelong Coke addict and I swore of soda completely. I would recommend you do the same.

The point of getting this surgery is to make a permanent change. That has to include mental changes and if you think you'll just eventually go back to how you used to do things, you'll gain weight back. Commit to change. Let go of the soda. Just my two cents, I know I'm not a veteran but I DO read a lot. :)

Does anyone drink carbonated diet drinks with regularity?? food still grosses me out but after 9 weeks I still dream about my coke zeros . I wanted to go a year with none but man that's a long time. Yes... I know they recommend never having them again---

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by PorkChopExpress

@@Butterflywarrior

You're right! Thank you for enlightening me! You're pre op and struggling with sticking to your diet (per your previous posts). You definitely have a lot to add to MY experience. :D

your support and encouragement are greatly appreciated... still doesn't mean I know nothing about diet soda, carbonation and so on...still doesn't mean I have nothing of value to add.. just bc you are able to drink sugar free soda wo effects doesn't make it good for you and going back looking for a weak post I wrote to pick on and use against be is beyond immature as well as appalling to me. Sure I can get upset and not like what someone says but not going to go look for things there struggling with to bring them down

Wow

O/P specifically asked for the experience of vets. So, there's that.

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

@@ButterflywarriorI didn't notice that but even if I had, I'm the type of person that Chinese in with information obtained from otgers via research, medical professionals, and other vets I've encountered if I believe the info will be useful or helpful

Maybe this is what another poster newbie met when they said they felt unwelcome here especially I'd your new. I was so surprised by that bx ppl have been so friendly and nice here until now but seems it is a bit separatist or some unwritten rule if don't answer if a vet is requested or newbies know nothing sure um being extremely I hope...

Wow

@@ButterflywarriorI didn't notice that but even if I had, I'm the type of person that Chinese in with information obtained from otgers via research, medical professionals, and other vets I've encountered if I believe the info will be useful or helpful

Maybe this is what another poster newbie met when they said they felt unwelcome here especially I'd your new. I was so surprised by that bx ppl have been so friendly and nice here until now but seems it is a bit separatist or some unwritten rule if don't answer if a vet is requested or newbies know nothing sure um being extremely I hope...

Wow