Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone!

I'm brand new here and am yet to see my dietitian (appointment next week... yay!)

I know the pre-op diet here in Australia is basically shakes and salads, and some dietitians allow small amounts of chicken and some allow eggs.< /p>

I've been doing some research and it looks like in the USA the pre-op diet is similar to Atkins with a 1-2 week liquid only diet immediately before surgery day? I'm really curious to know what the different standards are around the world... Just purely out of curiousity (I will obviously follow the guidelines set for me by my dietitian and surgeon) I'm a bit of a science buff and since I started looking at getting the op (sleeve) I'm finding the science of food pretty amazing.

So - would anyone mind telling me what their guidelines are and where in the world you are? I'm in Brisbane, Queensland Australia. As far as I know, (from initial printout from my surgeon) I'm allowed 3 shakes, unlimitted low carb vegetables and 1 egg per day. I can also use any herbs, low sodium stocks, vegemite, soy sauce, vinegar based salad dressings and 1 tablespoon of cold pressed oil (olive or coconut for example). He wasn't sure about fruit, he said some dieticians allow 1 peice a day others say no fruit. I'm on this diet for 6 weeks, right up until the day of the surgery.

So what are you doing before your op?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone!

I'm brand new here and am yet to see my dietitian (appointment next week... yay!)

I know the pre-op diet here in Australia is basically shakes and salads, and some dietitians allow small amounts of chicken and some allow eggs.

I've been doing some research and it looks like in the USA the pre-op diet is similar to Atkins with a 1-2 week liquid only diet immediately before surgery day? I'm really curious to know what the different standards are around the world... Just purely out of curiousity (I will obviously follow the guidelines set for me by my dietitian and surgeon) I'm a bit of a science buff and since I started looking at getting the op (sleeve) I'm finding the science of food pretty amazing.

So - would anyone mind telling me what their guidelines are and where in the world you are? I'm in Brisbane, Queensland Australia. As far as I know, (from initial printout from my surgeon) I'm allowed 3 shakes, unlimitted low carb vegetables and 1 egg per day. I can also use any herbs, low sodium stocks, vegemite, soy sauce, vinegar based salad dressings and 1 tablespoon of cold pressed oil (olive or coconut for example). He wasn't sure about fruit, he said some dieticians allow 1 peice a day others say no fruit. I'm on this diet for 6 weeks, right up until the day of the surgery.

So what are you doing before your op?

Thanks!

I had my sleeve done by Dr.Dirk Rodriguez in Irving, Texas and I had no pre-op diet. I was only told not to eat anything past 10pm the day before. I had my surgery 10.14.16 and I am on a liquid diet until the 28th and I will begin soft foods on the 28th. I ate anything I wanted up until the day before but I still ate less than usual. I have lost 13 lbs since my surgery!

Sent from my SM-N930T using the BariatricPal App

Wow, that's a lot of weight in a short time! You must be thrilled.

I'm surprised that you had no pre-op diet - I thought your liver would get in the way if you didn't shrink it down. (That's what I was told)

Thanks for your reply!! I will add it to my "findings" haha. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon has me on an 800 calorie diet for a month. I can only eat the foods offered at his office. No real food, just frankenfoods (shakes, Protein Bars, Soups, etc). I was hoping I could have a bowl of fresh greens with chicken and balsamic vinegar and the like, but no. Just the frankenfoods. Some of them taste weird too. I just started today and I'm not hungry. That's the big thing for me. Eh, it's only 4 weeks and then I'll have my surgery. Of course I'll have to rely on some of the frankenfoods until I can eat solids but that is just temporary.

I don't have a pre op diet required. I am just on a balanced meal plan, but I don't have to change anything as surgery gets closer. We are expected to loose 5-10 pounds overall with the balanced pre op diet while all your appointments are being taken care of.

Hi I'm in Roseburg, Oregon. I had my RNY on July 2, 2013. I lost 132#'s in 6 months. I did have an 8# gain but have maintained my loss for 2 and 1/2 years. My preop diet was Protein drinks for 2 weeks. My Postop diet was 4 weeks of Protein Drinks. I was allowed broth, sugar-free popsicles, sugar-free Jello. The diets didn't seem to extreme for me!! I was afraid to cheat before my WLS because I was afraid they would cancel my surgery and after I was afraid it would hurt me or undo something. I am one of the lucky ones my physical hunger has never returned. Now mind hunger WOW!! I have to deal with everyday. Because our WLS doesn't fix our brains!! It is a TOOL and they call the 1st year to 18 months the honeymoon period because you will lose and usually fast. Some people's hunger returns quicker than others. Good Luck on yhour Journey

Hi guys! Thanks everyone for your replies. It's so varied! I think here in Australia we all have a really similar diet and I just assumed in the US it would be the same.

Did / is anyone have(ing) their surgery in Mexico?

I'm especially surprised about Evenya's diet. I don't think I could do the Frankenfood diet! That sounds awful. Even though I obviously eat some junk food (wouldn't be here otherwise!) it's the fruit and veg I'd miss on that meal plan.

So those on the Protein drink diet, are you allowed any other foods?

I like the idea of just a balanced meal plan. Sounds sensible. Does your surgeon or dietitian write a plan for you or do you just eat "sensibly"?

I'm really intrigued by these differences. I wonder if there has been a study surrounding recovery rates and pre-op diets.

Shedo - congrats on keeping the weight off for so long. I've read some stories about people who lose lots and gain it back a year or two later. I keep telling myself it's not a silver bullet... that I will need to make changes and work on keeping the weight off. Thanks for sharing and thanks for your well wishes.

My pre-op is two Protein Shakes and one meal of lean Protein and brightly colored vegetables for two weeks. I am surprised at how varied they are, too. My surgery is 2/15.

My surgery is Monday. The only pre-op diet that I have to do is Clear Liquids these two days before surgery, then the lovely bowel prep liquids the day before. I can have Jello and broth, gatorade, clear tea/coffee (no milk), etc.

Pre-surgery date, I had 6 mos of weight management through my primary doctor. I logged food on myfitnesspal and turned logs in to the nutritionist at the bariatrics surgery center. I lost about 16 lbs in the 6 mos.

I am having my sleeve done in Mexico and I think because my BMI is 31-32 I only have a 3 day pre-op diet. It is 2 Protein Shakes a day with a lean meat and vegetable for dinner on day 1 and 2, and then clear liquids the day before.

pre op diet for 3.5 weeks and its 5 shakes a day with a lunch and dinner meal of something like a weight watchers frozen meal. veggies like broccoli and cuccumber I can eat for Snacks thru out my day one piece of fruit like a banana small orange (cutie) or a small apple. drink 64oz of Water or crystal light, unsweetened Tea. I can make my own meals with 8oz of fish or chicken with 1/2 cup of veggies or a salad which is primarily no high calorie add ons like bacon bits or eggs cheese.