Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

History of blood clots

Hello, this is my first post. I tried to look through to find information, but the posts I found were never updated.

I have a history of clotting, a few times in my legs and once in my portal vein. I've been tested several times and they can never find a reason as to why I clot sometimes.

I am just now starting this journey. I go tomorrow for my orientation at the bariatric surgeon's office. I saw my new hematologist today. He said that he hopes that I'm not trying to have a gastric bypass. I said I am trying to get a sleeve. He said that he'd advise against it because they receive patients all the time who have had the surgery and are lacking the nutrients and all of them gain the weight back. He said that I should just lose 2 lbs a month, 24 a year. I'd still be obese. He then left the room and the nurse said that they'd advise against it because of my history of clotting and the fact that I'd have to be placed on blood thinners right after surgery and they won't do that or be willing to give me the dose I need. She said to ask the surgeon. She then said that I have kids that I need to worry about and shouldn't be take part in elective surgeries. She said surgeries that I need to save my life are different. But if I am obese and unhealthy and at risk of a stroke or heart attack, I would think that would be saving my life?. Am I being selfish for wanting to do this?

Has anyone been in this situation where they clot, what happened to you? I am so worried.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Hello.. I truly understand what you're going through. I have Factor V Leiden a blood clotting disorder. Two yrs ago I had multiple clots on both if my lungs. I am taking a blood thinner for the rest of my life. My hematologist and surgeon are fine with me having the sleeve. I'm am hoping for a late December surgery. I was told that I would fully be taken care of before and after surgery. I have to give myself shots of heparin for 30 days prior to surgery. I'm very afraid of reclotting but I desperately need this and I willing to take the chance. I hope that everything works out for you.

Sent from my N9132 using the BariatricPal App

Please excuse the typos I was typing faster than I thought. Just so excited to find someone who is going through this. I have posted a few times and not many people are dealing with this. It helps to talk about it with those who understand.

Hello.. I truly understand what you're going through. I have Factor V Leiden a blood clotting disorder. Two yrs ago I had multiple clots on both if my lungs. I am taking a blood thinner for the rest of my life. My hematologist and surgeon are fine with me having the sleeve. I'm am hoping for a late December surgery. I was told that I would fully be taken care of before and after surgery. I have to give myself shots of heparin for 30 days prior to surgery. I'm very afraid of reclotting but I desperately need this and I willing to take the chance. I hope that everything works out for you.

Thank you for your response. I feel a little relieved that someone else is able to go through with it. I think I will feel a lot better when I am able to talk to the surgeon to see if he will have a game plan. Getting no support from the hematologist was quite upsetting. I have a filter that has been in place for over 14 years, due to PEs. I'm hoping that will help. I'm definitely scared of clotting.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Hi there,

I went into having the gastric sleeve without knowing that I had a clotting disorder (Factor V) and only found out 2 months ago when they found extensive portal vein clots. I have been on anticoagulants since.

I thought I would write because you are both pre-op and I am someone who has been through the surgery with a predisposition to clotting. I do not regret doing the surgery. It is the best thing I ever did, even with the clotting complications. I have loss 160lbs in almost a year and I feel both lighter emotionally and obviously physically....I think knowing that you have a history of clots or a genetic predisposition to clotting will really assist your bariatric surgeon in trying to prevent clots from occurring during your surgery and during recovery. I really hope your hematologist gets onboard and is more supportive of your decision to do this surgery.

Best of luck to both of you and hoping you both have an uncomplicated surgery and recovery :)

Best wishes to you as you continue on in your journey. It's so true that once everyone is on board it makes it easier. I'm still very afraid but I want this so bad and I'm going to do it. Congratulations on your amazing weight loss, I only hope to be so successful.

Sent from my N9132 using BariatricPal mobile app

I was sleeved on 10/14. I have a blood clotting disorder called Mthfr (abbreviation). I was not put on any pre-op thinners, but went home with a 7 day low dose Levenox script and so far, so good. Good luck!! I would say just make sure you have a really good and attentive surgeon.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was sleeved on 10/14. I have a blood clotting disorder called Mthfr (abbreviation). I was not put on any pre-op thinners, but went home with a 7 day low dose Levenox script and so far, so good. Good luck!! I would say just make sure you have a really good and attentive surgeon.

I also have the MTHFR mutation. I had revision surgery on 10/18/16 and had to use Lovenox shots for 14 days after surgery.

My hematologist was on board with the surgery. He felt that I would be better off to have surgery than carry all the extra weight. Since MTHFR can cause

an increased risk of heart attacks and strokes, it was a reasonable decision.

In fall of 2013 I became sick, thought it was typical chest cold, etc, but it progressed. I kept going to the DR and they kept giving me more medicines, steroids, etc. One day I am at home resting, and I start to feel my left calf start burning. I thought it was a pulled muscle. Got the heating pad and about 2-3 days of the burning sensation and not being able to sleep. I decided to go to another dr for a second opinion. That dr saw that my leg has swollen a lot in size. He said go to the ER immediately, by the time I had gotten there, I literally so out of breath, I could only walk about 3 steps and had to stop. At the time I weight probably close to 500lbs. They immediately admit me, do ultrasounds, etc. As I am awaiting the next step, my blood pressure starts dropping bad. They get me stable and wanted to do a cat scan. The problem was the cat scan machine was too small and couldn't really hold my weight. The ER fought to get the cat scan because he said it would give him the best idea of how much clot buster to administer. Too much and I could have brain bleeding. Too little and the clot wouldn't bust. At this time, the clot that started in my leg, broke and caused a pulmonary embolism. Only 20 percent of my lungs were working and kidneys were shutting down. Mind you, I am stubborn, so during the early stages, I kept going to work. One particular morning it was 2 degrees and felt like -20. I went to work, walking up the walkway into work, I blacked out. I couldn't breathe from the wind and cold and much less with 20% lung function.

Back to the ER, the chapel comes in and starts talking to my wife. My wife immediately starts crying. The DR told her that I was probably within 2hrs of my life and the next few hrs would be critical. 3 days in ICU, 7 more in a regular room to get my warfarin levels stable. To this day, I have no idea why the clot happened. The dr says it was unprovoked but I know it was from being over weight and not mobile while I was sick. For this reason I still to this day take blood thinners. I had a #vsg on Nov 15, 2016. Started the journey on March 7th, 2016 @ 491 lbs. Starting weight at surgery day was about 413.4 lbs. I currently am at 384.4, 1 month after surgery.

Originally, I had no reasons to have the bypass, but that's the surgery I wanted because in my mind, the vsg was for people who didn't have a lot of weight to lose. My insurance and dr said it was my choice but said I would do great on either. I also considered the amount of time under anesthesia per surgery in relation to blood clotting issues. Sleeve was 1 hr 45 mins versus over 2 hours for the RNY. On wavered back and forth for months and in the end I decided on the RNY. I go into surgery and wake up and my wife tells me I got a sleeve. Dr said that he couldn't do the RNY due to how my intestines were situated. Prior to surgery, a few days before I switched to lovenox shots, stopped the day of surgery and then a few days after I was home, I resumed the lovenox shots. Then I switched back to warfarin.

Moral of the story, I guess it all depends on your particular health, but don't let them deter you because of blood clots. I thought it was gonna be an issue in my case, but my dr was 100% with it and so was the hematologist. Stay focus and take care of your self.

I don't have any history of blood clots, but some surgeons do 14 days of Lovenox after any surgery now because of all the things they're learning about clots, and mine did. So blood thinners after surgery is not a problem. Knowing you have a clotting issue before surgery lets them plan for it and take precautions to avoid problems. I would think that losing the weight would be beneficial to preventing clots. As to bypass vs sleeve, I don't know, your surgeon would have to guide you. But saying you'd regain the weight is defeatist, and lots of people have good long-term results.

Good luck!