Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got my Surgery date! But have a few questions!

I got my surgery date for December 5th! I am so excited, I can't wait! So talking about preparing for pre op, they told me that I don't need to do a pre op liquid diet. Has anyone not had to do one? I see so many people talk about it.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Wow, lucky you. The point of pre op liquid diet is for your organs to shrink so the surgeon has more room to menuver during surgery. I would ask again why it would not be needed or advised. I personally would want to do anything to minimize any issues.

I didn't have to do pre-liquid diet or do anything different the day before. I had my surgery yesterday and surgeon said everything went great!!

I didn't have to do pre-liquid diet or do anything different the day before. I had my surgery yesterday and surgeon said everything went great!!

. Also I asked the surgeon why they didn't require liquid diet. He said they didn't see a lot of improvement plus the have heavy duty liver lifters.

well there you go, no worries , I wish my dr thought that way, but the discipline of those liquid diet weeks helped prepare me for what was to come.

I only have to do 3 days of low fat/low sugar before surgery. I get to eat things like cottage cheese and low fat Soups as well as Protein shakes, etc. Then nothing to eat after midnight before the surgery.

My surgeon says a long pre-op diet it too hard for people to stick too and he doesn't see a lot of benefit from it. They are all so different though.

I got my surgery date for December 5th! I am so excited, I can't wait! So talking about preparing for pre op, they told me that I don't need to do a pre op liquid diet. Has anyone not had to do one? I see so many people talk about it.

Thank you!

Yay! 5 days after mine! My surgeon doesn't require the liquid pre op diet, either.

@@klouisa64 that's a funny response from your surgeon. Lol

@@kraek9, most surgeons and practices demand a liquid diet, but not all.

The purpose in losing weight before surgery is to reduce fat in/on the liver. Fat makes the organ rigid and, therefore, somewhat difficult for the surgeon to manipulate and bounce around in order to work on the organ(s) the surgery is about. Less fat = more flexibility.

My surgeon didn't care if I lost weight before surgery. A few weeks before, though, it occurred to me that, if I were serious about the whole undertaking, I'd get started right away. The practice sold some liquid product (a shake sort of thing) or recommended a couple that were readily available elsewhere. The one that I'd have ordered from the office would have cost me about $300-$400 and the recommended brands were almost as steep. I was advised to eat one very most meal daily and have three (I think three) shakes of my choosing. I happened to opt for canisters of Muscle Milk Light powder.

If, by no liquid diet, you mean you're expected to lose weight by another method, it comes down to pretty much the same thing. Lost weight is lost weight regardless of method.

WOW!! I'm 3 years out from my RNY and I had to do 2 weeks of Protein drinks preop and 4 weeks of Protein Drinks after. It is sad that OREGON HEALTH AND SCIENCE UNIVERSITY required my hubby to lose 25#'s and get his A1C down to at least an 8!! In case someone doesn't know what the A1C is its a test for how your blood sugars have run for the last 3 months. He couldn't get his weight down if he got his blood sugars down, his weight would go up. He just couldn't do both at the same time. So we had to suck it up and pay around $11,000 to go to Mexico. That wasn't just the surgery amount but everything we had to pay to go. I really wish he could have stayed in the STATES!!!

@@kraek9, most surgeons and practices demand a liquid diet, but not all.

The purpose in losing weight before surgery is to reduce fat in/on the liver. Fat makes the organ rigid and, therefore, somewhat difficult for the surgeon to manipulate and bounce around in order to work on the organ(s) the surgery is about. Less fat = more flexibility.

My surgeon didn't care if I lost weight before surgery. A few weeks before, though, it occurred to me that, if I were serious about the whole undertaking, I'd get started right away. The practice sold some liquid product (a shake sort of thing) or recommended a couple that were readily available elsewhere. The one that I'd have ordered from the office would have cost me about $300-$400 and the recommended brands were almost as steep. I was advised to eat one very most meal daily and have three (I think three) shakes of my choosing. I happened to opt for canisters of Muscle Milk Light powder.

If, by no liquid diet, you mean you're expected to lose weight by another method, it comes down to pretty much the same thing. Lost weight is lost weight regardless of method.

Thank you! I am on a pre op diet, which looks very similar to the "forever food stage". I also replace one meal a day with a premier Protein shake. I don't have to loose a certain amount but I have already started changing my lifestyle which will help me. I think when I got with in a week or so I will make sure I am really watching what I eat and incorporate my liquids!