Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating without thinking

So tonight was our annual dinner before Halloween parade. During dinner (which I was just having Water still in puréed stage) while talking and laughing, I picked a French fry off my grandsons plate and popped it in my mouth. All conversation stopped at table and everyone looked at me, I then realized what I did. I was thinking in my head what should I do chew it or spit it out. My sister handed me a tissue and I spit it out. So happy that my family is on board with me. We all laughed about it, but I need to make sure in future to keep those fries across the table from me. Anyone else out there do this?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Good for you for catching yourself.. Just goes to show how much we eat without thinking about it.. And yes you're so lucky to have family support!

Munky

On this topic, I'm wondering about anyone's experience of the food Police Coming out in full force. For this reason, I never told anyone if I was trying to actively lose weight. Do you find that people are more critical of what you eat, or maybe they feel more justified in expressing it. I just want to be a normal eater...eat good most of the time, yet allow myself to live and eat some foods considered completely off-limits by some. Perhaps my philosophy will change in the next few months...we'll see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

On this topic, I'm wondering about anyone's experience of the food Police Coming out in full force. For this reason, I never told anyone if I was trying to actively lose weight. Do you find that people are more critical of what you eat, or maybe they feel more justified in expressing it. I just want to be a normal eater...eat good most of the time, yet allow myself to live and eat some foods considered completely off-limits by some. Perhaps my philosophy will change in the next few months...we'll see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

I have shared my surgery with pretty much everyone who I interact on a regular basis. I did it in a way that I made this decision and I hope they will support me but not be my judge and jury. No one has policed me and I have great acceptance that I make my own decisions.

To original OP, if you are good with your sister doing that, wonderful. We all need help and support and it takes a long time to change lifelong habits.

Oh my gosh I totally dids the same thing! I was 5 days post op and was slicing a cantaloupe for my son. I always taste it to see how ripe the fruit is. I popped it in my mouth and swallowed it before I had time to think. I was so scared, it taught me a valuable lesson. For years I had eaten without thinking. I am now 7 months out 77 down and 20 from goal.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

My 9 year old is the food police at my house. Today after her dance class I got her some french fries, on the drive home I reached over to grab a fry, ( not thinking st all). She jerk ed those fries back so fast and Said. I don't think do woman, you can't have these, you'll get sick.. I laughed so hard, and thanked her for looking out for her momma..

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Yeah I am fine with my sister doing that. She had the sleeve 3 years ago. She just did not want me to get sick. My family does not police me though. I think they just were just as surprised as me. They have been very supportive. I am very lucky.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I'm pre op and doing 4wks of the 2 wks pre operation diet.. My son(21)and I were in town picking up some things I /we needed.. As we were getting ready to leave town I said "wanna get some fast food"(I was j/k) and .. He just looks at me n shakes his head no.. I laughed reached over n squeezed his hand n said thank you for being supportive and helping me be strong

Munky

Edited by FunkyMunkyBrat