Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jaw surgery + life update. ????

It's been a minute since I've hopped on here. I haven't had a whole lot of updating to do so I ran out of things to talk about. I'm almost at the 2 year post op mark, 6 months plastics. Both are still the greatest decisions of my life thus far. As some of you know I have adult braces. I was just recently approved to have jaw surgery!! Two separate surgeries. One to widen my upper arch even more (SARPE) and the other a double jaw surgery to move my lower jaw back and tilt my upper teeth to close a open bite and have a "less gummy" smile. My surgeon took molds on Monday and I may get lucky and not have to have the SARPE surgery? Just like with my WLS and plastics I've had people voice their opinions on this as well. I get the "why? There's nothing wrong with your teeth". Then I open my mouth and point out all the reasons. I just want a normal bite. That's all. It will change my looks a bit. Most insurance companies don't approve it because they consider it "cosmetic" and it's not cheap. My insurance company actual found it medically necessary. Now I know it's a long shot but I'm curious to know if anyone has had either of these procedures. Being a WLS patient I'm wondering how this is all going to work out? I will have my mouth banded shut for 2-6 weeks so nothing but liquids. I'm only 142 lbs now so I'm a bit concerned about the weigh loss that comes with this. Average loss is 15-20lbs. I'm 5'8. I guess we will cross that bridge when we come to it. That's my update. On to a new life change....I hope everyone is doing great and making beautiful progress!

"regular" people aren't use to having to drink their meals so I'm sure they have a tougher time n lose weight because of that..

Just my thinkin anyways.. But I hope all goes well for you!

Munky

post twice, not sure why. Ugh!

@@FunkyMunkyBrat I'm sure I will just live on the Premier Protein shakes like the good old days lol!! I lost a ton of weight doing that though....I'm not sure how this is going to work? Maybe when I get unbanned I will just go nuts and gain what I loose back?!

Welcome back!! I was just thinking of you the other day and was wondering where you have been. I am excited for you that you have another procedure coming up in which to make yourself even more fabulous. I know you have been wanting to get your teeth/mouth fixed for awhile so congrats!

Hopefully with the protein/liquids you won't lose a lot more weight. I know you are at goal. Maybe you could add in a few shakes that normally we Bariatric patients wouldn't drink ( higher carbs and calories) so you can maintain your weight. I know you will figure it out because you always do. You will have to keep us all posted.

@@glitter eyes Hey girl!! I took a break. I just ran out of things to tell. Once you get to goal and just maintain it's not near as news worthy. Last time I was reading there were people talking about leaving this site and all the bickering got a tad old. I'm refreshed now! You look like you're doing fabulously!

So good to hear from you! It's been over 17 months since I had sleeve done and I've been maintaining for 7 months. I look back and remember what a thrill it was to lose the weight and I'm so happy with my decision to have WLS. Life is good, so darn good ( knock wood). I feel blessed.

Like you, the arguing on this site got to be too much and I haven't had anything to say. I just check in now and then for the heck of it. I still like to be inspired. Thanks for the update Elode. You've always been so nice and I enjoy hearing about what's going on in your life.

Best wishes on the upcoming procedure.

@Elode- I agree; most of the time I don't have much to say either. Plus I get a little tired of the people who make unsafe choices immediately post op and only want rainbows and unicorns for advice, so I usually don't have much to add.

On another note my mom just had her gastric sleeve this past Monday so I am excited to see if it gives her a new lease on life. If I remember correctly you were hoping your mom would decide to have it too. Tell her that if my 67 year old mom can do it then she can too!!

@@BestDayEver Well thank you! I don't think people understand how monumental this journey can be. I wouldn't change it for anything. I feel like a whole new person. Inside and out. I'm glad to hear you are maintaining and doing well.

@@glitter eyes That's wonderful! I don't think my mom will ever do it. She's 66 but I don't think she wants to go through all of it. Her knees are always hurting her and it's getting worse. I'm not sure why she wouldn't want to. I should talk to her about it more.