Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone else have an easy recovery? I'm getting downright paranoid....

I am 33 days post-op and have had a remarkable recovery. I went back to work 6 days after surgery and worked a full week including my football duty Friday night which made for a 15 hour work day. I had my first bout with diarrhea yesterday and I think it was the cran grape juice I added to my Protein Water for a different taste. I'm down 31 lbs so Life is good in my world.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Mine was super easy too...I still think maybe something is up...the only trouble I had was the horrible Constipation the first week....it was AWFUL! we aren;t supposed to strain that early (I had not gone in over a week and I really needed to) and it felt like I was passing a softball...sorry for the TMI....after a call to the on call doc at the hospital in the middle of the night and taking some magnesium citrate, I finally went and felt AWESOME! Really...other than that it was so easy....I still have trouble getting in all my liquids (I get close), but sometimes I am amazed how much of certain foods I can eat if I do it mindlessly.....You are not alone...I healed really quick too.....some of us get lucky I guess, everyone is different.

Good Luck!! Val

I was sleeved 5 days ago and my recovery has been so smooth that it's making me suspicious. Day 1 was pure hell obviously. I had a good deal of pain waking up but mostly it was the anesthesia and heavy drugs that were making me feel completely awful and confusing reality with fantasy.

Day 2 I got in an okay amount of Protein and Water, maybe made it about 1/2 way to goal. Since then I've had no problems. Very minimal pain at times that is either hunger or gas and other than a bit of soreness around the big incision I've had no issues. I can get down 8 oz of broth or Water in about 30 minutes. I am okay taking regular drinks (no need to sip, but not gulping) and have gotten 60g of Protein and at least 64 oz of Fluid for the past 3 days.

It's making me paranoid. I ALWAYS have issues after medical procedures and I'm terrified that this is all going a little too good. I feel certain that I'm headed for a staple leak or blood clot or something. I'm worried that maybe there already is some kind of leak and that's why all the liquids are going down so easily, or they made it too big.. or something. I'm freaking out because I don't feel sick and I know it's demented. Other than being extra tired I am really not having any problems....

Is it too good to be true or are some of us just lucky?

I'm glad you are doing well. What size bougie did your DR use?

@@ella37

Mine was very easy. People come into surgery with varying levels of health, and pain tolerance. Then add in some doctors are more skilled than others. People recover very differently. My recovery was easy, and I enjoyed it.

It will all get better hun, I promise. Just think of it as a blessing I know its hard to see it that way. I smoke electronics if my doctor found out he would kill me lol. But i dont smoke it on a daily basis. I'm not saying u should do that. I havent had my iced latte in weeks and im going crazy because I live for DD iced lattes but i know this recovery stage is necessary and when I get to my goal weight there is no one stopping me from shopping my life away lol.

Quitting smoking was not a requirement for my surgeon to do the sleeve, but I'm trying my hardest since I had to quit for 36 hours in the hospital. Last night I was about to peel my own skin off. It is HARD. Most people gain weight when they quit because they eat more to compensate, we don't even have that option!

Ask your doctor about chantix.

It will all get better hun, I promise. Just think of it as a blessing I know its hard to see it that way. I smoke electronics if my doctor found out he would kill me lol. But i dont smoke it on a daily basis. I'm not saying u should do that. I havent had my iced latte in weeks and im going crazy because I live for DD iced lattes but i know this recovery stage is necessary and when I get to my goal weight there is no one stopping me from shopping my life away lol.

Quitting smoking was not a requirement for my surgeon to do the sleeve, but I'm trying my hardest since I had to quit for 36 hours in the hospital. Last night I was about to peel my own skin off. It is HARD. Most people gain weight when they quit because they eat more to compensate, we don't even have that option!

I might. I know it can take a couple of weeks to kick in though and NOW is the hard time. If possible I'd really rather just quit (easier said than done). I have made it FIVE DAYS though which is longer than I ever have without Patches or e cigs or anything. I'm hoping if I can get through the first week it'll ease up a little.

I might. I know it can take a couple of weeks to kick in though and NOW is the hard time. If possible I'd really rather just quit (easier said than done). I have made it FIVE DAYS though which is longer than I ever have without Patches or e cigs or anything. I'm hoping if I can get through the first week it'll ease up a little.

Chantix is a miracle in a pill. You will forget what a cigarette is. It's very effective for individuals who want to defeat their nicotine addiction and it works very fast.

My recovery has been significantly easier than I thought it would be as well. Like you, surgery day (September 28) and Days 1-2 post-op were pure hell, but beginning on Day 3 post-op everything rebounded quickly. I have exceeded my Protein and Water goals every day since Day 3 post-op, and my nutritionist even moved me up half-a-week on my food stages.

Getting the fluids in Protein in, while not hard, is a full-time job for me, though. I am on medical leave until mid-November, so I can commit 100% to my recovery and getting all my fluids and protein in. I applaud these folks who go back to work so quickly. I would never be able to monitor what I have to take in, get it all in, and work all at the same time. (Case in point -- I had to deal with a house insurance thing the other day that consumed my mind for a little while. An hour went by and I hadn't taken in any Water. If I were working, that would happen pretty much all day.)

I had a smooth recovery, physically, no complaints.

Emotionally was and is harder.

I called and asked the doc on day 4 if I should be worried. I went to the mall on day 3. I read all the worst cases for over a year, didn't realize how easy it might be.

Sleeved on 10/10 and I was feeling paranoid also, everything has been smoother than expected, which is great. Another sleever down the hall from me was having a rough time....which kinda frayed my nerves... waiting for my turn. But I was up, walking the halls, pacing in my room...my doctor said everything went great and it's baby steps. So far no problems with my post-op diet and feeling good....soreness as expected, but it's eased....I only used pain med after drive home from hospital....that was the most horrid part.... ( 2 hrs drive w/added road construction). I'm so happy for this choice I've made, it will be worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the BariatricPal App

I was feeling pretty rough on days 1 and 2, but significantly improved by day 3. By day 4 I was worried something was wrong because I was having no trouble getting in all my Fluid and Protein. I know experiences vary greatly and I'm so thankful to be feeling so good so soon. But yeah, I totally get the whole "something must be wrong feeling.