Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long after surgery were you able to start muscle toning?

I still have time to go before my sleeve surgery. But i realized that i actually like weight lifting, but cardio on the other hand is the death of me.

I know i will be able to start walking and doing cardio soon after surgery. But what about weights? What month post op have most people been able to start weight training?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was cleared for weights at 6 weeks out. I'm like you, I love weightlifting and only do cardio because I have to.

Kaiser surgeon said I could return to my normal strength training after 3 weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

I was cleared at six weeks as well. My recovery was smooth. It is probably case dependent. Go with what your surgeon says even if it varies a lot from the rest of us. They know what's best for you.

Yeah most of the surgeons seem to feel six weeks is the time it takes your stomach to fully heal up. Once the stomach and incisions are fully healed, no reason you shouldn't be able to lift.

I was told I could start lifting after a month. I'm currently three weeks out and don't think I'll be ready at a month. This past week I walked over two miles at lunch three days in a row and I've been really sore ever since. Probably did too much too soon. I do feel like I have more pain than most people this far out though. Six weeks sounds like a better time frame.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Day 39 I was cleared for everything. No diet restriction, no exercise restriction. It was a day that couldn't come to soon.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

On 10/15/2016 at 11:39 PM, Bufflehead said:

I was cleared for weights at 6 weeks out. I'm like you, I love weightlifting and only do cardio because I have to.

it totally depends upon your recovery and surgery intensity.

Thanks!

I forgot i even made this post, it was before i had surgery. I already lost all the weight. 6 weeks is pretty standard for weights, 2 weeks for cardio.

I didn't start working out until I had my weight at a range where I felt comfortable working out (which was 50 lbs post surgery - so that was about 6-7 weeks.)

I started initially with alot of functional strength/mobility/bodyweight work.

Now, 17 months later I am doing full body workouts with an emphasis on strength training, but I do cardio and yoga to support with my flexibility and mobility.

Today I did my best deadlift weight for a full set of 5 reps after being stuck for a couple of weeks! YASSSSSSS!