Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seeking Advice from other LB Vets

In the interest of efficiency, I copied a response I posted on another thread to give my story:

I started at 283 in July 2009 with the band. I got down to 218 and maintained between 223-228 until I got pregnant in 2012. Although I was still very overweight, I was happy with my band and much healthier. I would've been satisfied and would've had the band again just for that weight loss. During my pregnancy, I didn't gain much. I got up to 244 thanks to preeclampsia. I had hyperemesis during my pregnancy, and I had to have a complete unfill. My daughter came early, so she was in NICU for 58 days. I stayed with her the entire time. Between being hospitalized before her birth until she came home, I lived at the hospital for over 2 months. By the time we came home, I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I tried to get fills again and could only tolerate 1/2 of the fill I was at before I got pregnant. (I had 5ccs in a 10cc band; now I have 2.5ccs) Ever since the fills started again, I have not been able to get to a good spot. I still can't get food down until the late afternoon 3-4 days a week. My thyroid has also taken a crap. I gained back up to 270. My thyroid levels are not stable. I am constantly having to increase my meds. I am bordering close to diabetes, and I've been back on the diet rollercoaster (but with little success losing, so not much to gain back) and my endo says enough is enough, and I need surgery. I had not been to my surgeon in over 2 years because I didn't see the point since I wasn't needing a fill. Come to find out, my band may have slipped while it was unfilled, so that could very well have been causing my issues. In any case, I'm now on the road to revision to RNY. My surgeon feels it's a safer revision due to the location of the band and where these two surgeries require staple lines. So...that's my very long story as to why I will be having a revision.

So, I had my EGD today, and we were quite surprised. He told my mother-in-law, who accompanied me, that my band was "perfect in every way," and that I could, "have either one I want."

So, now I'm filled with questions: First of all, if my band is perfect, why am I having these issues? Then, do I really need a revision or could I get my band adjusted and lose this without a revision? If I do need a revision, which should I go for? If I don't need a revision, where do I start working with my band again?

I had my head all wrapped around this, and now I'm full of questions and wonder. If anyone has been in a similar situation or has any other advice or insight, I'd sure appreciate it.

I had a band and had some of the same issues. My band was supposedly in place according to the scan but I had vomiting, certain days I could eat the whole house and certain days I ended up in the ER because I couldn't even get a sip of Water down. It was horrible. I had pain in my chest/back/ shoulder from it. I was just revised to a sleeve in August and am down 40 lbs since surgery and am down 70 since I first saw the surgeon (i started eating better and exercising so I could be healthy before my surgery) the difference is night and day. My surgeon said I had a lot of scar tissue and I only had my band since Dec of 2013. I would hate to see what it would do to my insides in 5-10 years.

I go for my barium swallow Monday. I guess I'll see then...

An endo does not tell you if anything is wrong with your band. It can only see from your stomach and that doesn't tell you anything unless its too tight. If it is too tight you can see the formation of the band inside the stomach. Your best bet would be to have a cat scan or some other kind of radiology procedure to see just where your band is.

I've met other LB vets that had a revision because the band just didn't meet their weight loss expectations. I don't know the mechanics behind *why* it works this way, but I dropped about 80 pounds then just sat there for almost 2 years before a move to a foreign country severely shook up my eating habits and I finally started dropping again - almost 30 pounds in about 9 months.

When you do your fills do they remove all the Fluid then put it all back in? Could it be your band is leaking and not maintaining the fill? And, honestly - your surgeon may just be wrong and your band is actually not perfect in every way.

So...its really up to what you want...it sounds like your health needs the weight loss to occur to keep the diabetes away and other issues...so if you think a revision will make you healthier where if you stick with the band it may or may not work and might be a lot of stress and frustration...well, then I'd personally go for it.

@@ADJL, yeah, I've decided I'm going to just do it. I need to lose the weight and I know I need extra help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

I have had some similar issues, I've had my band unfilled since June of this year. I have had several tests upper GI, CAT Scans, Barium swallow and all show the band is sitting pretty right where it should be.

I have had several digestive issues which I had before WLS surgery, and these along with a bout of pancreatitis and sever emotional stress taking care of my father who passed in July, and now both my in laws..not to mention the full time job that was in the middle of a take over and 5 kids..who while "grown" present their own mash up of issues.

So yeah...all of that...and more I could probably type for a week or more...caused a big upset internally for me. I was getting sick from everything I ate and even was avoiding food just so I would not get sick. Nothing wanted to stay put, even though it would all pass my band, after about an hour I was nauseated and sick.

I had the band checked while I focused on my health and trying to find some stable ground again in my life. The band has no issues...I'm in a bit of a better place today with some relative stability and just peace of mind knowing there is nothing I can do about any of it and I just have to continue to rise and fall with the waves and occasionally I am going to get wet and I just have to accept it as what it is..let go and hope for the best.

I think I am ready to have a little fill in there and try again. I can't understand why the surgeon would want to remove my band, if there is nothing wrong with it. I could do a revision after 6 months of healing, they told me but you know...why fix what's not broken...and surgery...not just one but two more?

If I haven't lost the weight I wanted to with the band what makes me think I will with any other surgery? I haven't really given the band the full benefit of us working together toward that goal, I have been so busy focusing on other things. So I go tomorrow for a barium swallow, I haven't been sick in over a month now and I feel as though I am ready to focus on me and on this journey.

I just can't see having 2 more surgeries, when there is nothing in there going on other than I am not using this tool to help me reach the goals I set for myself.

So that's where I am sitting today. Now to get that barium swallow and set a goal and work toward it.

Stress is a major factor in my band staying calm. Sounds like you got a dose of it this last year. Hoping for an easier time for you.

At the moment, I am almost emptied.... you would think after 9+ years, all would stay the same.... yet slowly I am creeping upward...

Just like you, I'm gonna try a fill and hope to get to the

"Just right" level...

Sometimes it is just like Goldilocks...

Can anyone tell me if they have experienced severe short of breath? I have been banded since 2006 an have noticed that this condition have become progressively worse. Help!!!

Yes I had recently experienced severe shortness of breath and while I thought it was that I was developing asthma it was actually being caused by my band. It's called aspiration pneumonia and is caused when food backs up and it absorbed in your lungs or something like that. Long story short - I had my band completely emptied and the shortness of breath went away immediately. Then after a month or so start filling it back up slowly. Took me about 4 months but no more shortness of breath. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I have had some similar issues, I've had my band unfilled since June of this year. I have had several tests upper GI, CAT Scans, Barium swallow and all show the band is sitting pretty right where it should be.

I have had several digestive issues which I had before WLS surgery, and these along with a bout of pancreatitis and sever emotional stress taking care of my father who passed in July, and now both my in laws..not to mention the full time job that was in the middle of a take over and 5 kids..who while "grown" present their own mash up of issues.

So yeah...all of that...and more I could probably type for a week or more...caused a big upset internally for me. I was getting sick from everything I ate and even was avoiding food just so I would not get sick. Nothing wanted to stay put, even though it would all pass my band, after about an hour I was nauseated and sick.

I had the band checked while I focused on my health and trying to find some stable ground again in my life. The band has no issues...I'm in a bit of a better place today with some relative stability and just peace of mind knowing there is nothing I can do about any of it and I just have to continue to rise and fall with the waves and occasionally I am going to get wet and I just have to accept it as what it is..let go and hope for the best.

I think I am ready to have a little fill in there and try again. I can't understand why the surgeon would want to remove my band, if there is nothing wrong with it. I could do a revision after 6 months of healing, they told me but you know...why fix what's not broken...and surgery...not just one but two more?

If I haven't lost the weight I wanted to with the band what makes me think I will with any other surgery? I haven't really given the band the full benefit of us working together toward that goal, I have been so busy focusing on other things. So I go tomorrow for a barium swallow, I haven't been sick in over a month now and I feel as though I am ready to focus on me and on this journey.

I just can't see having 2 more surgeries, when there is nothing in there going on other than I am not using this tool to help me reach the goals I set for myself.

So that's where I am sitting today. Now to get that barium swallow and set a goal and work toward it.

Hi Lisa Hopefully everything is well now with you and your band it is not easy with stress that is the same that happens to me with so many surgeries not related to my band but I am trying to go back and start all over again with my band and with the food I am seeing a Bariatric Nutricinist now and is helping me to go back in track .

Hi Yadiordz

I am doing OK. I would like to say that I have totally focused on my band and my eating but I can't really say that. My barium swallow showed that the esophagus was still a bit dilated so they wanted it to rest for a bit longer. I was in total agreement with that since I am not looking for any other surgeries right now.

I was doing fairly well watching my intake of foods, since now after having issues with pancreatitis I really steer clear of foods that are high in any kind of fat or grease. Even red meats if eaten too often will make me feel sick so I tend to only have them once in a blue moon.

I had been feeling very weak and fatigued since my cardiologist put me on a new medication to lower my heart rate and blood pressure. It's taken some time to get used to being slower...if that is a good way to define it.

Wouldn't you know it though just as I started feeling a little better and getting in all my Water and foods in the right way...we got nearly 2 feet of snow and I tore all the ligaments in my foot and ankle getting caught in a snow drift! So now I am in a walking boot with a cane! Not getting much of any kind of cardio in these days. I am thinking that I will just get into the gym and start doing some weights. I can lift even if I can't do much else with this leg/foot right now.

How are you doing?

Hi again Lisa!

Well I am not as good as I want, in the past 2 1/2 years I have several surgeries that don't let me exercise I ended with a knee replacement due to a fall also in the snow and recently I had a neck fusion but getting better thanks God and now trying to go back to where I started with my band I gained 30 pounds back but now I am loosing again that I got back with my healthy food choices, it is not easy when you have health issues, it been long time that I did not used the app and I really miss my old pals it look like no many of them are around anymore , I really hope you can get your filling soon I am with you I am not ready to replaced my band with another surgery still believe and love my band be safe in that snow hopefully the spring is around the corner![emoji3][emoji3]