Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay so I'm a little bit paranoid I guess I wonder if you're going to punish me for taking the easy way out of so many people would say I'm really afraid of surgery people die during surgery it does happen I became really paranoid about things like that after my 23 year old son died from multiple sclerosis I think I have a little bit of a mental disorder regarding anxiety and a bit of paranoia the closer it gets to the time when I'm actually going to do it I'm really afraid that something will go wrong I'm sort of a Negative Nancy it seems too good to be true I cannot imagine being that ever again I was never a skinny skinny girl I'm 5 foot for my good normal healthy weight was about 1:35 I was always voluptuous big boobs big butt the funny thing is I thought I was fat then too now I can't even get a pair of those pants up to my knee and that's the waist of them. Anyway I am 2:45 the most I've ever weighed in my life I have high blood pressure I'm on two different kinds of medication I have arthritis in my back and my knees and two herniated discs of cervical stenosis and gerd so basically yeah I'm a mess I'm sort of looking into the mini gastric bypass I am 48 years old and I'm going to be going to Mexico to get it done so I guess yeah I feel guilty I've never been one to exercise ever and I really do like food I don't think people get fat from not eating people get fat because they don't want to exercise and because they like food right? Yes they are the lucky few that have this great metabolism where they can eat whatever they want and never get fat and we are not those people I've spent my life being angry that it was not me I felt like it wasn't fair and it really isn't but it is life I'm sorry I know I'm rambling I just needed to get this Ranch out and maybe hoped to hear that there are others out there like me? Thanks for listening

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

Wow major typo sorry about that I was talking to my phone it always makes me look illiterate I meant to say if God is going to punish me LOL I haven't even read the rest hopefully it's not too much of a mess and you get what I'm trying to say

Can I ask you this, Do you believe in God? The reason I said this because I was you, our story sounds the same except my son passed 2months before his second birthday. I was so afraid of having this surgery, I too said what if I die, I too love food, I too suffered with high blood, diabetes and arthritis in my knees, but ,I never ever had surgery a day in my life , never been put to sleep, heck I never broken a bone, so imagine how I was feeling, just like you. But when I stepped out and allowed God to step in and trust him fully with my life my worries begin to fade away. I can say I never gave fear a second thought on that operating table on September 14, 2016 yes last month I had the RNY surgery. Think of your health , have strength and put your power into play , fear not. You just put it all in Gods hands . you will do just fine

Sent from my N9520 using the BariatricPal App

Can I ask you this, Do you believe in God? The reason I said this because I was you, our story sounds the same except my son passed 2months before his second birthday. I was so afraid of having this surgery, I too said what if I die, I too love food, I too suffered with high blood, diabetes and arthritis in my knees, but ,I never ever had surgery a day in my life , never been put to sleep, heck I never broken a bone, so imagine how I was feeling, just like you. But when I stepped out and allowed God to step in and trust him fully with my life my worries begin to fade away. I can say I never gave fear a second thought on that operating table on September 14, 2016 yes last month I had the RNY surgery. Think of your health , have strength and put your power into play , fear not. You just put it all in Gods hands . you will do just fine

Sent from my N9520 using the BariatricPal App

I believe in God I just don't think he likes me very much LOL so I'm going to be going to Mexico for my surgery I think I'm a little nervous about that as well but hopefully I'll have a success story like the rest of you afterwards fingers crossed right?

I'm so sorry for the lose of your son. All of our experiences, good and bad, teach us how we respond to stressful situations. The good news is we can use tools to work on our perspective. Maybe you can visualize yourself when you reach goal. What would you look like, what activities will you be doing..... Your trying to better your health and quality of life and yes, a lot of us are overweight because we overeat, find exercising painful, have compounding health issues.... But surgery is a physical tool to support the journey to physical and emotional wellness. All the best to you.

Okay, I'm going to ignore the "God punishing you" part, because that doesn't even make sense.

It's totally normal to be scared shitless about having surgery. It's totally normal to be scared you're going to die on the table. But the truth of the matter is, you've got a higher chance of dying from weight related illnesses like high blood pressure. The odds of dying from those surgeries are very low. Less than 1% with the sleeve and just a smidge more with the bypass. Same percentages with complications.

I was 47 when I had surgery. I, like you, had high blood pressure and was on medication and was also on medication for diabetes. I'd lost my mom a few years before from congestive heart failure from a massive heart attack at 68, and I didn't want to end up the same way so young.

Although it requires a HUGE commitment to change your whole way of life, this was the best thing I've ever done. I'm in the best shape of my life and feel amazing. If you feel you are ready to take charge of your health and life and commit to the changes needed, you will not regret the surgery. And by no means is it easy! I still drag my butt to the gym when I don't want to, I still have to eat very mindfully, a lot of times depriving myself of the foods I really want but know I shouldn't have because it will lead me right back to where I started.

This surgery was absolutely necessary for me, and I make NO apologies to anyone. I chose medical intervention in order to deal with my obesity, just like someone who has a heart attack may need open heart surgery in order to save their lives. Surgery probably helped me prolong my life, and for that I am grateful. You will be too.

Okay, I'm going to ignore the "God punishing you" part, because that doesn't even make sense.

It's totally normal to be scared shitless about having surgery. It's totally normal to be scared you're going to die on the table. But the truth of the matter is, you've got a higher chance of dying from weight related illnesses like high blood pressure. The odds of dying from those surgeries are very low. Less than 1% with the sleeve and just a smidge more with the bypass. Same percentages with complications.

I was 47 when I had surgery. I, like you, had high blood pressure and was on medication and was also on medication for diabetes. I'd lost my mom a few years before from congestive heart failure from a massive heart attack at 68, and I didn't want to end up the same way so young.

Although it requires a HUGE commitment to change your whole way of life, this was the best thing I've ever done. I'm in the best shape of my life and feel amazing. If you feel you are ready to take charge of your health and life and commit to the changes needed, you will not regret the surgery. And by no means is it easy! I still drag my butt to the gym when I don't want to, I still have to eat very mindfully, a lot of times depriving myself of the foods I really want but know I shouldn't have because it will lead me right back to where I started.

This surgery was absolutely necessary for me, and I make NO apologies to anyone. I chose medical intervention in order to deal with my obesity, just like someone who has a heart attack may need open heart surgery in order to save their lives. Surgery probably helped me prolong my life, and for that I am grateful. You will be too.

Thank you for your post my father died from a heart attack my mother takes more pills than I have in my home medicine cabinet different types of illnesses do run in my family I am 48 so it is kind of scary at my age to undertake something this big I also hear how difficult it is for people afterwards I don't know how I'm going to cope psychologically since food has always been a coping mechanism for me I think that worries me the most how did people deal with the emotions afterwards? What you do when you want to eat and you can't because it will make you sick or possibly even kill you if you burst your stitches I mean I can just say no but it won't feel good tell me about that part of it how did you cope with wanting food

lauralee68 you are in the right forum. We all have a story or journey that led us here. Some may mirror yours or be worst or maybe not as bad. We now travel together. I had the same fear about death and it was here that I found comfort. We understand and want to help. We travel together. You will be just fine and we are always here. Let's know whatever you are going through so we can support you. I had my surgery 10/3/16. We travel together.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The first 3 days after surgery was painful. I just wanted my meds and to sleep but you need to walk and slip Water as much as you can. Very early 3rd day they toke away the meds I could give to myself so I was more awake still in pain stile walking and sipping. Day four I leave hospital late about 7:30 because my blood pressure was low but it equaled out and I came home. I hurt coming up the steps but I held tight to my pillow no my stomach. You must have a pillow, HEATING pad and abdomen binder. Everyday I get better and with less pain. Today I had no meds and I'm doing fine. Oh after I went to doctor and he remove my staples and draining pouch I was doing good.

What is a mini gastric bypass? I've read this several times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using the BariatricPal App

What is a mini gastric bypass? I've read this several times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using the BariatricPal App

You can Google it it is where there is one connection instead of 2 being made it is very similar to a regular gastric bypass but less complications and an easier procedure

Don't be afraid I had a doctor once tell me; "you have more of A probability of dieing in a car accident then you do in a surgery." I do believe him to an extent. I still think about that till this day. You will be fine this is why they check everything before u go into surgery.

Hi - I haven't had surgery yet. I can relate to your comment about being angry that others have a great metabolism and can eat how they want - while I have a very slow one and seemingly gain weight smelling food! Worse for me was growing up in a family of slender siblings and parents. I was the black sheep, the odd one out. I felt it too and that feeling has stayed with me. I tried to just let it all go, accept who and what I was. That just led to giving up totally on caring for myself and gaining even more weight; wasn't such a great plan!

Fear of surgery - well, that's normal. I've been put under a few times now and I did o.k. Your team will run all sorts of tests on you to make sure you can undergo the surgery without risk. Try to believe in them. Your best bet is to ask them questions. Write them down and ask - this should allay your fears.