Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Both surgeries are great procedures for patients in need. But a lot of people are not educated on with the sleeve is. It's starting to aggravate me when I talk to my friends who have had bypass and they say to me they chose the bypass because you lose more weight with that. My surgeon told me from the beginning initially I wanted the bypass but. I didn't want to reroute my intestines so I went with the sleeve he told me that the weight-loss difference between the two is very minimal like two or 3 pounds and he's been doing this for many years. I just can't listen to people thinking that the bypass is better or the sleeve is worse people are just being ignorant

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You are correct! Stay true to yourself

Correct - while statistically they both end up in about the same place, they may take a somewhat different route to get there. The bypass, with its' temporary caloric malabsorption may provide somewhat quicker initial weight loss, but that caloric advantage disappears after a year or two, so metabolically you wind up in the same place in maintenance - if you maintain at 1200 calories with the sleeve, you will maintain at about the same point with the bypass (only the DS gives you a long term caloric malabsorption so that you will maintain at a higher caloric level.)

That said, the procedures do have somewhat different "personalities" which may be more compatible with some patients vs. others; some people may do better with one vs. the other.

At first I wanted the sleeve but the. Doctor mentioned that the sleeve would not be a good fit for my BMI, therefor he suggested that he only do the bypass, which would be more effective for me. Which I agree, but for some reason I see people who have had the sleeve ended going back to get the bypass. I myself look at the one that's going to last me and maintain me forever. Every surgery has its pros and cons.

I am sleeved..I chose this as many of my friends who has gastric bypass have ongoing complications...very happy with my decision...in 30 days I lost 38 pounds...not to shabby

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

The big difference is that the sleeve is newer and has less research associated with it, and the RNY has been around for 30+ years and has a ton of research. So they keep marketing the RNY as the "gold standard" but the fact is, no matter what surgery you opt for, the vast majority of change has to happen in your head and in your behavior, to be successful.

I initially went in for RNY but due to scar tissue from prior surgery, they couldn't do it...so they gave me the sleeve. A week after I had surgery, I spoke to a friend of my mom's who'd had RNY 10 years ago and she said she wishes she'd have been able to have the sleeve...because she said she developed celiac disease as a result of the RNY and also came to realize that the malabsorbtion aspect of the surgery was only really useful for the first couple of years, and after that it became a pain in the butt. So I actually came away feeling like maybe I'd dodged a bit of a bullet.

My wife wants to get surgery and is planning on it next summer, and she's still in the "gold standard" mindset, but I'm hopeful that my results with the sleeve will convince her to change her mind. I'm now of the opinion that the sleeve might be a better long-term choice. But it will be what I make of it, that's for sure.

Gastric bypass is the gold standard! If people who have higher BMI they are better with the bypass vs the sleeve. I was in with my nutritionist today. And she say that I am more qualified for the bypass since I have been big my entire life!! So there for make a wise decision on which is going to benefit you more!! Good luck everyone.

You know myself going into to this...I couldn't decide which surgery to choose..Yesterday, I met with my Surgeon..my Consult and I also stated to him I was hell bent on bypass and not the sleeve..(Been debating this surgery for 5 yrs)...He began by saying ok...So I perform both...make about the same on both procedures...But I must know "Why the bypass over sleeve?", So this is where I began with oh...you lose more faster..Yeah...well this is where he pulled out the current statistics on me...lol I felt stupid and uneducated...He also stated he likes the sleeve..less complications down the road..thus far..and if it was a family member of his..He would say the same..Sleeve..So by the end of the conversation, I wasn't as informed had I originally thought and no matter which surgery I do undergo in Feb..I will have a better understanding about by tools to decide which will work best for me..;)

ฯฯฯฯฯJessฯฯฯฯฯ

From personal experience with family members the bypass has far more risks of complications down the line! And I'm saying that because I have two family members who have had it! My aunt had bypass and is bigger now then before the surgery! But I'm happy to say I'm officially 1 week post op VSG!

Hello, My surgery is January 31,so in two days I'm doing the sleeve. On here right now because I can't drink another shake or more Soup. Anyway, I went for the sleeve. When I went for my endoscopy I asked my surgeon why sleeve over bypass? He just said he would not do the bypass on me. At his seminar he pushes the sleeve more but still does the bypass. He mentioned that you need to take Vitamins with both but with the sleeve you absorb more and don't lose essential Vitamins, etc as in the bypass. The sleeve may not be around as long but has had wonderful results. Also, the part of the stomach they cut away is what produces the hunger enzymes so you will not be as hungry. Of course you do lose quicker with the bypass but food is absorbed and bypassed where as with the sleeve you eat less because you are not as hungry and you can't or should not or be sick. I have two friends who have done great with the bypass and another friend who has done great with the sleeve. I guess it depends on your bmi or how much you have to lose. I was 276 and with the liquid diet am now 263.4 and I feel I should lose about 100 to 110 pounds. Maybe they do bypass on very large patients needing 200 + to lose. The sleeve is very popular now and the band isn't. Many people are going from the band to the sleeve. I will know soon. I am anxious and scared but I guess that's normal.

PS He had a patient talking at the seminar that lost 240 lbs in a year.He is his star pupil but says it's up to you.

If you are a sweet eater the sleeve is not a good choice. Cookies and cakes can slip right through. Rny ( in most patients) causes severe dumping if you eat sweets. Being honest with yourself about your habits should help you make the right choice. I doubt that they get paid the same, rny is a more involved surgery. My Dr said the sleeve is so easy to perform that surgeons are popping up all over to make money. Also, if you take your Vitamins and are on top of your blood work after rny, you will do fine. The fear mongering with rny is just that and not truth. Know yourself and choose wisely. I did!

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app

My first choice is sleeve. I was leaning towards bypass but then I talked to the NUT and she got me thinking sleeve is a better fit. Then I saw gastro and she said that with a bypass there are difficulties doing future endoscopies and having access to all of the digestive system. So that definitely moved me to sleeve. Now my endoscopy showed some signs of acid reflux irritation so I fear my surgeon will only do bypass. I go in next week to see her...so just have to be patient.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

At first I wanted the sleeve but the. Doctor mentioned that the sleeve would not be a good fit for my BMI, therefor he suggested that he only do the bypass, which would be more effective for me. Which I agree, but for some reason I see people who have had the sleeve ended going back to get the bypass. I myself look at the one that's going to last me and maintain me forever. Every surgery has its pros and cons.

Usually the reason sleeve patients get revisions to bypass is because they end up having very bad acid reflux.... daily.

I have read that bypass is better for controlling diabetes. I also read about the acid reflux after vsg, but I had it daily before surgery and haven't had it after surgery at all (11 months out). Hopefully that will not change. Guessing that maybe mine was related to trigger foods that I don't eat now.