Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie with questions :)

Hi everybody!! I'm new here, and I have a mini-gastric bypass scheduled for Nov. 24th (Thanksgiving day!) and I would love to hear from some people who've had the procedure.

I was originally going for a sleeve, but they recommended that I NOT get a sleeve due to some acid reflux problems that I have, so they suggested this instead, and to be honest it's got me worried. I don't know nearly as much about it, simply because I haven't had as much time to research.

Nearly everything I've read has been positive, but I have seen a few things regarding the possibility of stomach cancer down the line... (definitely worrisome) as well as the possibility of worsening reflux, even with this procedure.

So any and all information is appreciated. (Sorry if I'm rambling, my mind is racing... lol)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The stomach cancer issue/reflux has been resolved as long as the procedure is done correctly they can now position the bypass so that bile flows down and not up.

The stomach cancer issue/reflux has been resolved as long as the procedure is done correctly they can now position the bypass so that bile flows down and not up.

Thank you so much!! You have no clue how much even that one comment calmed me down a little bit. I've been worrying nonstop :(

They do recommend the RNY if you have Reflux because I have heard that a Sleeve can make it worse. I had my RNY 3 years ago. I'm not familiar with the Mini Gastric Bypass. But I have lost 132#'s and then gained 8#'s back. But it is amazing how those 8#'s have made me feel so much better. Here are my STATS: HW 249 (this time I was up to 285#'s at one point) SW 232 LW 117 CW 125#'s and I have maintained my weight for 21/2 years!! This is a AMAZING JOURNEY and if you follow your DR's and Nutritionist's guidelines you will do GREAT!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

They do recommend the RNY if you have Reflux because I have heard that a Sleeve can make it worse. I had my RNY 3 years ago. I'm not familiar with the Mini Gastric Bypass. But I have lost 132#'s and then gained 8#'s back. But it is amazing how those 8#'s have made me feel so much better. Here are my STATS: HW 249 (this time I was up to 285#'s at one point) SW 232 LW 117 CW 125#'s and I have maintained my weight for 21/2 years!! This is a AMAZING JOURNEY and if you follow your DR's and Nutritionist's guidelines you will do GREAT!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Thank you for your kind words!!! I'm excited but terrified. Lol. There are a lot of changes in my future and I'm trying to prepare myself, but I don't think that's completely possible. I'm hoping that my story is like yours-where I LOVE my decision. My biggest fear at the moment is that I'll regret it. I'm trying to think positive and know that the benefits outweigh almost anything else.

The MGB is a great choice ! It has better long term weight loss and less risk/complication than any other surgery! I'm happy to answer any questions you have. I'm a former band and former sleeve patient so I've been around the block a time or two ! Lol

Thank you :) Are there any foods that don't agree with your new stomach? I've heard that meat/dairy sometimes don't agree. Sorry for the random question-- I'm trying to learn all that I can.

Anything else you feel is important that I know?

There definitely are. Milk is pretty much out of the question except for the occasional sip, ice cream is the same and anything else high in fat and sugar. Not to say I don't treat myself, I do but I know I'll pay the price. There really isn't anything that I've cut out completely, I just practice moderation.

If I had to pick the biggest down side to all of it, that's easy...it's the bathroom trips. Without being too graphic, it's a constant and it's terrible! Everything I eat goes right through me.. In the first few months I was scared to even leave the house ! Now I'm a little more routine and I can usually make it through my workday without issues but if I do have to go, I will drive all the way home or to my parents house and will NOT ever go at work. It's absolutely horrid ! I carry poo pouri for emergencies or when I'm too far away from home.

Not everyone experiences this, but my bypass is almost 9' so that makes it worse... I'm okay with it though, it's what keeps the weight off, it's what I paid for, the malabsorption.

Who is doing your surgery?

I'm having mine through BeLiteWeight, and Dr. Rodriguez in Juarez. I'm a little worried about going out of country, but I've heard great things about Dr. Rod :)

And why is your bypass so long, if you don't mind me asking? I thought the typical length was between 2-7 feet?

Edited by Kirbykendall06

Kirbykendall06 My hubby and I went thru BeLiteWeight in June. The Dr and his son are very good. But...I don't want to alarm you ..... the Hospital wasn't much like we were told. The nurses didn't wear gloves or wash they use handsantizer, they don't have wash clothes we had to take our own. The language barrier was terrible. We were told that we would get a suite but instead we got a very small room and I slept on the window sill pad. The pain medication was really weak. The DR's have surgery one after another. He was there until 9:30pm. When he was released we didn't get discharge papers. My hubby was supposed to have the RNY but due to past surgeries for the revision in Sept 2013 and the abscesses he got afterwards made it impossible for them to finish a RNY so he had the Sleeve. We had info for the RNY and I also had my RNY 3 year's ago but was told that the RNY and the Sleeve are pretty much the same. So we really didn't have much to go on. Just try to be more verbal about things and push for your rights. I really don't want to upset you, Dr. ROD was great for sure. When I told SYLVIA about our concerns she said they have tried to get them corrected but their work ethics aren't like the USA. Good Luck Hon. Do you have someone going with you? Maybe you won't have it like we did. The Hotel that Slyvia told us about was awesome and as were the Shuttle drivers. Please let me know how it all goes. BTW We are just glad that the DR could do something for him...he has cancer in his kidney and they can't do anything about it until he loses weight, so we are THANKFUL for him!!

Band07, I'm curious about the MINI BYPASS. Is it basically like the full RNY? And do they still need to be able to put 5 or 6 incisions Laparoscopic Surgery?

Kirbykendall06 My hubby and I went thru BeLiteWeight in June. The Dr and his son are very good. But...I don't want to alarm you ..... the Hospital wasn't much like we were told. The nurses didn't wear gloves or wash they use handsantizer, they don't have wash clothes we had to take our own. The language barrier was terrible. We were told that we would get a suite but instead we got a very small room and I slept on the window sill pad. The pain medication was really weak. The DR's have surgery one after another. He was there until 9:30pm. When he was released we didn't get discharge papers. My hubby was supposed to have the RNY but due to past surgeries for the revision in Sept 2013 and the abscesses he got afterwards made it impossible for them to finish a RNY so he had the Sleeve. We had info for the RNY and I also had my RNY 3 year's ago but was told that the RNY and the Sleeve are pretty much the same. So we really didn't have much to go on. Just try to be more verbal about things and push for your rights. I really don't want to upset you, Dr. ROD was great for sure. When I told SYLVIA about our concerns she said they have tried to get them corrected but their work ethics aren't like the USA. Good Luck Hon. Do you have someone going with you? Maybe you won't have it like we did. The Hotel that Slyvia told us about was awesome and as were the Shuttle drivers. Please let me know how it all goes. BTW We are just glad that the DR could do something for him...he has cancer in his kidney and they can't do anything about it until he loses weight, so we are THANKFUL for him!!

Thank you for this info. I want to know what I can expect.

I haven't spoken with a Sylvia. I've been speaking with a Joanne, and a Skye.

You stayed at a hotel? I was told that we would be staying at Hospital Angeles 100% of the time...?

Edited by Kirbykendall06

That's who did mine ! Dr. Rod was great ! I had a wonderful experience at the hospital, no it's not like the US but it was extremely clean and they took good care of me. They don't fuss over you constantly but all my needs were met. They don't give strong pain meds but i didn't want or need them. I'm a revision so former band and sleeve patient so doc went longer on mine which is recommended for revisions.

HHMM We didn't go to Angeles Hospital. But they took us there to begin with. But then took us to the other Hospital. How many days did they tell you that you would be in the hospital? Dr Rodriques did hubby's surgery. He was supposed to be HEAD OF THE HOSPITAL> LOL Good Luck hon!! Keep us posted.

HI :)

Im 13 days post op for MGB and i can answer any questions about my experience that you want, just ask.

Im not having any problems really just healing and trying to fit in all the Protein in manageable size meals. Learning not to drink m y prot shakes too fast and only having half at a time as it made me dump which was an experience in itself :)

Nin