Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now that I have your attention. Many of you lied or maybe many of you just suck because this has been easier for you lol.

HW-283

SW-253 (9/6/16)

CW-225

I am struggling. Mentally mostly. The cravings are not gone like many of you said. "Oh you won't want any of that stuff after surgery." Eating is definitely not something I enjoy anymore but the cravings are still really strong. Eating out with family is still super depressing as everyone is having all this delicious bread and chips and other "no" foods. Even when I eat something I enjoy I can only have couple bites before I feel like I could throw it back up. Why is this so hard for me?!?! This holiday season will for sure kill me...

Does this get easier with time?

I'm 5 weeks post op. Am I expecting too much too soon?

TIA

ChelsiCurrently

You're not so far after surgery and you had a lifetime of the old lifestyle so be patient and kind with yourself. I'm not sure if the cravings will always be there for you or not, but maybe once you start to see the rewards of your efforts and will-power with the help of this tool, that seeing them eat bread won't matter so much.

I only had a couple of hungry/craving days so far, and what I noticed is that my carb count was higher those days. I decide to cut back even more on carbs instead of indulging and my cravings don't happen now. I'm between 35-40 grams of carbs per day and it also accelerated my weightloss after a stall to cut carbs.

Don't be discouraged. You got this!! :)

Edited by Shell Renewed

For me and my situation is semi-unique in that I was dieting and exercising for 2+ years before I had VSG. In the time before VSG I lost 254 pounds on my own. What I can tell you is the first 4-8 weeks were the hardest as my body adjusted to a high Protein, low carb lifestyle, no juices or soda. The cravings were HORRIBLE!! I swear the devil was living in my head telling me to eat junk, but I fought it off. If I got hungry, I would make a vegetable or drown the hunger with large sums of Water, or even have a small pieces of fruit, or other healthy snack.< /p>

For me now 13 weeks post-op, the cravings haven't really been that bad. Sure there have been some, I wish I could have that moments, but for the most part the cravings have been very tame for me since my weight loss odyssey start some 32 months ago. I'm now down a total of 311 pounds.

The holidays may be a struggle, but just take it day by day. It should get easier. #YouGotThis!!

Changing your lifestyle is as much mental as it is physical. Yes, this is abut a lifestyle change. It takes time to do so. What helps me in most areas of my life is being grateful for what I have and not focusing on what I don't have. I have a new chance to get healthy, I save money on food, I feel better, I love that my sleeve stops me from eating too much, I love when the scale goes down, it is great my clothes are getting too big, and on and on.

I am not lying to you. Ha ha.

You can stop telling yourself the holidays will be dreadful and depressing. You can tell yourself how much you will enjoy them by being lighter on your feet, wearing a new fun outfit etc. It is all about attitude.

For me and my situation is semi-unique in that I was dieting and exercising for 2+ years before I had VSG. In the time before VSG I lost 254 pounds on my own. What I can tell you is the first 4-8 weeks were the hardest as my body adjusted to a high Protein, low carb lifestyle, no juices or soda. The cravings were HORRIBLE!! I swear the devil was living in my head telling me to eat junk, but I fought it off. If I got hungry, I would make a vegetable or drown the hunger with large sums of Water, or even have a small pieces of fruit, or other healthy snack.< /p>

For me now 13 weeks post-op, the cravings haven't really been that bad. Sure there have been some, I wish I could have that moments, but for the most part the cravings have been very tame for me since my weight loss odyssey start some 32 months ago. I'm now down a total of 311 pounds.

The holidays may be a struggle, but just take it day by day. It should get easier. #YouGotThis!!

Congratulations!!!!⭐!

The cravings were hard for me too..but what I started doing was taking small bites and appreciating the taste more of the things I craved. It has never done me much good to deny myself anything because it will overwhelm my OCD brain and I'll binge. But where I used to eat an entire king size bar of chocolate (chocolate is my weakness) I nibble on one square at a time now. I still track it..the calories still count but I'm not overdoing it. Also, Learning to replace it with fruits helps..my new fave snack is sliced strawberries with FF cream cheese & splenda.

Also, I've learned to commit to my routines...water, Protein, exercise as an alternative to snacking/overeating. If I can get my BRAIN to STFU first by using one of those then its a win.

I am 6 weeks out and still have random cravings and then there is other times ppl are eating ALL the foods I love right in front of me...Soooooo how do I handle it I try my hardest to ignore it I may grab a popsicle or a yogurt or something healthy afterwards I'm usually fine....It is a mind thing it really is

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using the BariatricPal App

I think cravings are mostly our fatman (the term my hubby and i use for the part of our brain thst wants bad stuff cause it tastes good). My 3rd day post op and i was fantasizing about sucking on one of husbands french fries, judt for the taste. Yesterday i had two bite of mcdonalds ice cream and i found it disgusting. My farman was so upset i cried. I am sure it was because i had to truly face, for the first time, what i had done to myself in the name of health and i wasnt quite ready for the emotions attached.

You will get to the point that you can tell the farman to shut up, brocolli is just as tasty as french fries. Lol

To answer your question YES it does get better. I am 4 months out and I enjoy going to restaurants for conversation and ambiance. Because obviously I am not there to eat. LOL I never order a meal. I just take a bread plate and take 3 oz of my hubbies food, which he never misses. In the beginning out of habit I would order an appetizer or a side. Now I realize its a waste of money. food isn't as appealing as it once was. Which is how I got fat in the first place so I will take that.

You're going through a completely normal phase. Old habits die hard. It will pass, and there's going to be a time where you actually get grossed out by what people are eating and how much, lol. You learn to adapt and find foods that satisfy you while everyone else is pigging out, lol. You're going to feel so great, you really won't want to ruin it by blowing it with bad choices. This will pretty much continue through the honeymoon period more or less (not saying cravings and hunger don't happen at all, but LESS during that time).

Then you will hit maintenence, and new struggles begin. Lol.

Did I mention I want to punch anyone who says we took the "easy" way out??

Changing your lifestyle is as much mental as it is physical. Yes, this is abut a lifestyle change. It takes time to do so. What helps me in most areas of my life is being grateful for what I have and not focusing on what I don't have. I have a new chance to get healthy, I save money on food, I feel better, I love that my sleeve stops me from eating too much, I love when the scale goes down, it is great my clothes are getting too big, and on and on.

I am not lying to you. Ha ha.

You can stop telling yourself the holidays will be dreadful and depressing. You can tell yourself how much you will enjoy them by being lighter on your feet, wearing a new fun outfit etc. It is all about attitude.

I can't agree with @@suzzzzz enough on this...SO MUCH of getting through this initial post-op period has been the mental challenge, and things like not being able to eat tons of food needs to be framed as a positive, not a negative. We, all of us, knew going into this that our portions were going to be drastically reduced and to continue to see that as an undesirable thing is just self-destructive, IMO.

The holidays, for me, are going to be the first time in years that I WON'T gain weight, that I'll be able to pass up the candy/cake/eggnog parade and be satisfied. I've got a tool that will help me control my body's response to seeing all those carbohydrate nightmares and will help me stay on the track I need to be on. Embrace this!

Like today, hubby and I were at the mall and he bought himself an auntie Anne's pretzel. I took 2 small bites, he's all..I didn't think you were supposed to have that..I said 2 small bites aren't going to hurt me, if I only take a small bite of something I like...I'm fine, if I don't..then I'm gonna eat the whole freaking thing...lol

trixie's line

I don't have cravings but I do have real hunger. I think I lost the cravings during my liquid stage. I was into sweets and breads. Now, any food will do, as long as I get to eat every 2-3 hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My cravings are always there. It's tough. I know what I'd want to eat, but I can't have it. My body won't accept it or its really not good for me. I get depressed that when I go into a variety store, there is nothing I can eat or drink in there but Water. Then I have to decide what is important and why did I do this. My cravings are not fun...but are they as important as my goals? I have goals I want...be healthy, fit in amusement park ride with my son, look cute in a dress, feel good about myself. This, to me, is more important than what I eat after surgery. That doesn't mean it is easy. I understand very well. What is my priority? Finding other things that are more important than my cravings.

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

yes it gets better. you might want to look into therapy to help with the mental struggles-it has helped me.

good luck!