Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone from Chicago

Welcome. I'm having my vertical sleeve gastrectomy through Northwestern by Dr. Nagle on Oct. 31. Let me know if you have any questions about the program.

Hi Ignatius

Thanks for replying to my post.

I have a few questions about Dr Nagle & Northwestren hospital Why did you chose him? Over the other doctors at Northwestren hospital?

Do you know anyone else who had the sergury there?

Anything else you want to add I would appreciate it.

Thank you for your help.

Sent from my SM-J700T using the BariatricPal App

@@cyndi990 Think this will cover your questions. If you'd like to know more, send me a PM.

The main reasons I chose Nagle and Northwestern:

• Insurance. My insurance provider requires the procedure to take place at an ASMBS Bariatric Center of Excellence. That narrows down the number of options in Chicago significantly (literally 12 surgeons in the city).
  • Reputation. My PCP is affiliated with Northwestern and spoke of Nagle and Northwestern's program very highly. The same goes for my other doctor. After seeing the data of his success rate and attending the info session (at which Dr. Nagle was a presenter), I was very impressed.
  • University affiliation. I wanted a program associated with a teaching hospital. Yes, it's a large system with less personal care, but it's also a well-oiled machine with great staff.

NW is also a short bus ride from my office, so attending all the pre-op activities (of which there are many) was very convenient.

Dr. Hungness is the only other doctor at NW who performs bariatric surgery. From the looks of it, his reputation is also sterling.

There are a few on the board here who've used NW. I don't want to reveal their names as I'm not sure if they consider that private information. They're doing well post-op. For more on people who have used NW, check out this thread at thinnertimesforum.com: http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/95018-northwestern-dr-alex-nagle-or-dr-eric-hungness-chicago-il/

The first step at NW is attending a free seminar, which will provide a lot of insight into the program. You can find times here: http://classes.nmh.org/listing/detail/E.Hungness+Weight+Loss+Surgery+Seminar

Hi Ignatius

Thanks for the information and advice about NW.

I attended the information session at NW yesterday.

It was extremely informative and was presented by Dr Hungnes. I really liked the presentation and was very impressed with Dr Hungnes .Thank you again for the recommendation. I will be going with NW for my surgery.

Best of luck with your journey.

Hi Ignatius

I know you are busy getting prepared for your sergury in a couple of weeks. Questions how long did it take for you to go though with the program before your got your sergury date?

Do you have any pointers on how I make my process easier?

Thanks again

About 6 months, but maybe 4 or 5 if your insurance doesn't require 6 months of supervised weigh-ins. Just follow everything to a T and be proactive with things like psych eval, and tests the nurse practitioner orders, etc. Ask early if you'll need an upper endoscopy. That delayed me scheduling for about 3 weeks to a month.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Does anyone know of any good thrift stores in or near the city? Particularly that have a decent number of men's clothes (casual and professional)? Trying to mitigate the clothes expenses as much as possible...

St Vincents DePaul.

http://www.svdpchicago.org/index.php/thrift-stores/chicago-thrift-store

They randomly have very high end desginers. You never know when someone will go through a divorce and donate all their soon to be ex-husbands clothes...

Cyndi all though I live in Las Vegas my daughter lives and works in Wicker Park. She is do any day with my first grand baby. I'm coming into town nov 30 to dec 6th. If you would like to get together so you can pick my mind just let me know. I'm 59 and 13 months post op. I've lost 170 lbs love my sleeve have not had any issues and never needed 1 pain pill. Keep in touch and best of luck. I'm on Facebook if anyone wants to friend me Cookie Cooley

Ignatius my daughter works for a company called Buffalo Exchange its on Milwaukee it's a resale company been it business over 40 years. They buy and sell gently used clothing give it a try