Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want to get the Sleeve but surgeon is pushing Roux En Y

If you have Gerd in any capacity Roux En Y is the way to go. VSG is proven to worsen GERD!

Also I noted that you have diabetes in your discussion. Roux En Y would almost eliminate it. Due to the re-route of the intestines.

Trust your surgeon -

You would hate to get VSG only for your GERD to be exacerbated and have to revise to Roux En Y-

Hence increasing your risk for PE.

Good luck!

What is PE?

Cyndi, that's how I'm feeling. Though I'm doing it with Kaiser and from what a friend who works at kaiser told me to go to this particular kaiser in West Los Angeles cause they're the best. So I'm traveling 75 miles each way cause they're suppose to be the best and for him to come out so strong about it just sucked. Side note. I am diabetic type 2, have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and sciatica due to bulging disks so I'm pretty screwed up for 34 yrs old. I'm alps 442 lbs 6'1 .. maybe it's all these factors why he sees rny as my best bet

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

My friend is the same age as you, and she had diabetes to the point where she was taking insulin 3x a day. She had the RnY bc it is known to eliminate diabetes whereas with the sleeve, you still may or may not have to take the medication. She's doing great and had lost over 100 pounds. It's just something to consider when you have diabetes. Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

@@ginabee38 it's pulmonary embolism

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have mild GERD and was told that there is a treatment for it if it gets worse after getting a sleeve. It is called stretta. I don't know how it works, but they say it is effective.

For me, I am only interested in getting a sleeve. If you have RNY, you have to take supplements for the rest of your life.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

@@anonmom my doctor said you would have to take supplements with the sleeve to just not as much as the bypass

So.. you have to take supplements for the rest of your life regardless of which surgery you choose. Unless you want all your hair and teeth to fall out. High chances of developing Ricketts Disease as well...

Take your Vitamins people!

Edited by fliss78

@@Smdnght28 I'm going to talk to my doc about recovery time for RNY and his experience with GERD for the VSG patients. I only have a small window (a couple of weeks) for recovery, and I hear that it's quicker with sleeve, but it's good for me to ask him.

It can't hurt to ask, I think I'm gonna have to ask as well I've developed some reflux since meeting with my surgeon . Best of luck to you!!! Let us know how it goes

I finished my Kaiser Permanente options classes, did all the lab and x-rays. I went to meet my surgeon on Thursday and he is pushing for roux en y because I have GERD. Anyone else have this happen to them? I didn't realize acid reflex was a big issue for getting the sleeve. any input would be greatly appreciated.

Yes can be

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I was planning on the bypass also. Then when I had my EDG, he found that the part of my stomach that would end up "blind" with that surgery, was full of polyps. I also have a large hiatal hernia and have been treated for heartburn/GERD that may be caused by the hernia. He suggested I get the sleeve because of the polyps. I had never really considered the sleeve, so I started researching it and have decided that I would rather have the sleeve than the bypass. I got my approval letter on Friday afternoon (after the office closed, of course!) and found that I had been approved for the bypass. So, now they will have to resubmit me for the sleeve, I guess. Hopefully it will all work out because I was approved very quickly for the bypass. I will also have the hernia repaired with the surgery. I'm hoping the heartburn goes away with the hernia, but it's totally under control with 20mg a day of nexium. Have you read any books about the surgeries?

No actual books. Countless articles and took a 12 week course, every Friday for an hour and a half. I was pretty set on sleeve but this surgeon, as he was examining my meeical record he looks at me and says "oh yeah, we're doing the roux en y".. "we'll go over it in a bit". He seems to insist the rny will cure my GERD and the sleeve will make it worse. I ended up reluctantly agreeing to the rny so he put "roux en y possible sleeve gastrectomy" on the concent form we submitted. He did say that if I insist on sleeve that he will order a GI x-ray to look for a hernia. Said he didn't want to do the sleeve cause he'll just have to go back in and do the rny when the acid gets worse.

Yes that is true. My surgeon said, that 1/3 of sleeve patients will have gerd after the sleeve procedure. What he said he is seeing more and more is 3 to 4 years out from the sleeve, people are getting horrible gerd daily and end up getting a revision to the sleeve. Hope that is helpful.

I'm back and forth between rny and the sleeve. RnY is the gold standard and has the most research, but the sleeve is less invasive. I have mild acid reflux (the first consult I went recommended the RnY because of that.) The second surgeon which I chose pushes sleeve and you have to convince him to do RNY bc the results are the same two years out. I'm still deciding, but right now leaning towards the sleeve. Ask me next week, and that may change lol.

My surgeon said the sleeve is easier and faster. I would listen to surgeon #1, wouldnt you hate to have a revision to rny if you ended up with gerd after the sleeve.

I'm worried about the malobsortion of Vitamin and minerals. Also a bit concerned about it taking longer than the sleeve. I've read that if your bmi is greater than 50 sleeve is safer. I'm at 57 bmi. Surgeon reassured me but the concern lingers

I was told just the opposite. I had the sleeve in 2013 and rny was not an option by this particular surgeon. After going through the sleeve I had gerd so bad never had it before the sleeve. My sleeve failed and I went to a new Dr, was going to have a revision done to it but once the new Dr explained that a sleeve only guarantees you to lose 60-90 pounds and rny is for 90 and over, I chose to revision to an rny. I had my rny 2 weeks ago and it's been great so far.

Sent from my XT1585 using the BariatricPal App

I have read about many people losing a lot of weight with the sleeve, way more than 90 lbs.

10/20 and you? And thank you! You too!

Just signed concent form on Thursday. Surgeon said I'll get a call at the end of this week or next week to give me the surgery date and time and pre op appt.

Cyndi, that's how I'm feeling. Though I'm doing it with Kaiser and from what a friend who works at kaiser told me to go to this particular kaiser in West Los Angeles cause they're the best. So I'm traveling 75 miles each way cause they're suppose to be the best and for him to come out so strong about it just sucked. Side note. I am diabetic type 2, have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and sciatica due to bulging disks so I'm pretty screwed up for 34 yrs old. I'm alps 442 lbs 6'1 .. maybe it's all these factors why he sees rny as my best bet

@@hectorlopez323 who is your surgeon? I'm also going to west LA for surgery and I have Dr. Um.

@@hectorlopez323 who is your surgeon? I'm also going to west LA for surgery and I have Dr. Um.

Dr. Zelada, I got my surgery date!! January 3rd, got a preop appt. On December 22nd. Super excited about the surgery. I'm gonna go with the rny. When are you getting yours with Dr. Um?