Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Can't I Get Gastric Bypass?

I'm just depressed and frustrated. None of my doctors seem to want to listen to me. I got gastric bypass covered on my dad's insurance before but I didn't get far. Only for him to cut me off the insurance and NEVER let me back on because he's a jerk. If he just let me stay on his for a little bit longer I would have had the gastric bypass and I would now be a lot thinner and happier now. Everytime I bring up gastric bypass to my doctor they say "no, you just don't need it" and never give me a clear picture as of why I do not need it. I always try to dig and ask why they say this. I know I don't have diabetes, high blood pressure nor high cholesterol anymore but I do have polycystic cyst ovarian syndrome and for me it's very hard to lose weight because my hormones and metabolism are very off. I am WAY over the bmi of 40 and 5'4, I've lost weight recently but I notice I'm not losing enough. I'm in constant pain everyday due to an old foot injury, my feet are always hurting and I could barely walk. I cannot walk that far and my feet swell up like balloons and my weight is not helping my situation. I had foot surgery back in 2011 and it gets hard to walk and exercise most of the time. I wish they had a solution because I'm not losing enough weight with diet and exercise alone. I noticed I'm not that successful at losing weight because of PCOS. I think gastric bypass would reprogram my body, metabolism and hormones to a good level but NONE of my doctors want to hear it. My old surgeon Dr. Shadle has been trying to find solutions for me since my insurance got cut and now I'm just on Blue Cross Medi-Cal. I need help and I feel at wits end with this. I feel like my doctors are neglectful and just don't care about me. If they did they would help me. My foot doctor already said they cannot fix the foot and take the screws and plates out until I lose more weight, so I feel stuck between a rock in a hard place. I know gastric bypass is not a quick fix and I still need to diet and exercise. I know everything I'm supposed to do, I just feel like NOBODY will give me a chance.

What doctors are you referring to? Have you talked to a surgeon? If you are not a candidate for bypass have you considered the sleeve?

I recommend you look for a bariatric center of excellence and attend one of their seminars. They can help you figure out 1) what your insurance will or won't cover and 2) whether you are a good candidate for surgery.

On your pro file it said you had the RNY. Am I missing something? Is that the surgery you want? It also says you have Bluecross and Medi-cal insurance. Have you had someone submit to both of your insurance? If you go to a BARIATRIC CENTER they have people that deal with what the insurance want and need to get it going. I would check that out.

Sorry that's confusing, I edited my profile now so now it doesn't say that I had the surgery. But thank you for responding.

Medi-Cal DOES cover Gastric Bypass surgery. I don't know what the deal is with Blue Cross. Has your doctor given you a medical reason as to why the surgery wouldn't be appropriate? Medi-Cal also covers the sleeve.

Some Drs are VERY opposed to ANY WLS. I saw a backup Dr last summer when I couldn't see my usual Dr and made a comment about WLS and she all buy flipped out of me! -NONE of her patients will have those surgeries! ANYONE can lose weight with a proper diet.... Blah blah blah (45+ BMI, diabetic, high BP, high cholesterol, thyroid issues, barrotts esophogus, anxiety, depression, & SEVERE reflux)

See a different Dr!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Some Drs are VERY opposed to ANY WLS. I saw a backup Dr last summer when I couldn't see my usual Dr and made a comment about WLS and she all buy flipped out of me! -NONE of her patients will have those surgeries! ANYONE can lose weight with a proper diet.... Blah blah blah (45+ BMI, diabetic, high BP, high cholesterol, thyroid issues, barrotts esophogus, anxiety, depression, & SEVERE reflux)

See a different Dr!

And I'm going to bet she didn't gave a weight issue. Some people do not understand the struggle at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

Current Update: Well I was just reading back and I've come a long way from this, I finally got approved for WLS the 3rd time but this time I have an actual surgery date for 05/15/18. I'm so excited after 4 years, I'm finally getting somewhere. This post was at one of my lowest points and I'm glad to know there are people who understand and/or are going through the same thing.

I'm super excited for you!! I'll bet you are too. Good Luck and keep us posted about your results. Have a great day!

Wow awesome news.. when I first read the post I thought I’ll just read through it as I didn’t feel like anything I said could relieve or make you feel better but then I see the good news. Can you elaborate some more and tell us the process. Did your doc finally come around? Did you see a different one did they change their mind? Are you back on your dads insurance?

Yo-Yo Girl from New York City :)

I switched my insurances (couldn't get back on my dad's but this insurance I have right now is okay) and I switched doctors, my current doctor referred me immediately for wls due to the fact I needed foot surgery from a prior injury and they think it would save my foot problems if I lost some weight so...

On 11/27/2016 at 11:55 AM, JenniferAnne said:

See a different Dr!

I had an OBGYN that when I told her I was going for a consult with a bariatric surgeon she said " Well Fortunately (and unfortunately for you) you're not fat enough for that surgery... " such a snotty tone too. I was frustrated and angry and sad all at the same time. My BMI is clearly within the range and i'm suffering from PCOS and hypothyroidism. Some doctors are just jerks,

Current Update: Well I was just reading back and I've come a long way from this, I finally got approved for WLS the 3rd time but this time I have an actual surgery date for 05/15/18. I'm so excited after 4 years, I'm finally getting somewhere. This post was at one of my lowest points and I'm glad to know there are people who understand and/or are going through the same thing.

Yayyyyy I am so happy for you!! My surgery is scheduled for May 18, 2018!!

And good wishes for you both on that fateful day of days. Happy surgeries and healthy healing.