Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10/5 surgery AND Split pea soup is AWESOME

post-297986-14759911633169_thumb.jpg

I'm on my third day post op and feeling great. No more pain meds, taking my Vitamins, getting 64+ oz of liquids in and around 50 grams of Protein (need to up it a bit, but I think this is pretty darn good for three days post-op). Haven't weighed myself yet - waiting for the 2 week post-op appt. I started full liquids today (as opposed to clear liquids) and was able to have Decaf coffee with a little bit of nonfat milk this morning and delicious split pea Soup with a dollop of nonfat Greek yogurt for dinner. Life is good. I hope that everyone is doing well!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Congratulations! My surgeon advanced me to mushy after just under two weeks, and that was such a relief. I was so tired of the liquid diet :)

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1475991161.085277.jpg

I'm on my third day post op and feeling great. No more pain meds, taking my Vitamins, getting 64+ oz of liquids in and around 50 grams of Protein (need to up it a bit, but I think this is pretty darn good for three days post-op). Haven't weighed myself yet - waiting for the 2 week post-op appt. I started full liquids today (as opposed to clear liquids) and was able to have Decaf coffee with a little bit of nonfat milk this morning and delicious split pea Soup with a dollop of nonfat Greek yogurt for dinner. Life is good. I hope that everyone is doing well!

Mind if I ask how old you are? I'm 61 and wondering how I will bounce back.

Sent from my LGLS992 using the BariatricPal App

Sure. I'm 35, but for what it's worth the person in the hospital bed next to me when I was roomed after surgery was doing a lot better than me. She was chipper, not nauseated at all, and doing laps around the hospital within an hour of waking up (it took me a few hours to really get going). She is 59. I'm sure that age plays a part, as well as general wellness, but I think there are a lot of other factors too so it's hard to predict. Wishing you all the best for an easy and speedy recovery!

Edited by perspectiveiseverything

You'll do great just remember to stay as active as you can. I had my surgery in May and I'm getting stronger get and better and skinnier everyday. And I'm 62 I wieghed 377 pounds when i started my journey i wiegh 300 pounds last visit. I had several health issues when I began this journey, in fact pre l.p. I was still in a wheelchair but now I'm walking on my own, still going to physical therapy and getting stronger everyday. I have COPD and even that is getting better, when I first began I was on oxygen 24/7 now I'm only on it in the evening and as needed. I have psoriatic arthritis and that is still outta control, but thier changing my medication and that is supposed to help. Having the surgery was the best decision I ever made, wish I did it sooner.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using the BariatricPal App

I had RnY on 6/20. Turned 64 a month later. Only stayed one night in the hospital. Had no nausea, but did have pervasive back pain. Asked for a heating pad when I got to my room and they brought a water-filled one that was marvelous. Did not use the PCA pump at all, but did use the liquid Tylenol with hydrocodone script once or twice at home to be able to sleep comfortably in my recliner, due to all the distention in my gut due to the gas. Use your phone as a timer for your 1 oz liquids every 15 min. I kept bottled Water, SF tea, Protein shots in a small cooler by my chair and Decaf coffee in a thermos. Used a jigger to measure the 1 oz. That first 10 days ain't no picnic, but mine was made worse by the fact that my father died 5 days after my surgery and I had to deal with his funeral planning and service. You do what you gotta do. I will tell you, nothing tasted as good as that first scrambled egg I had on Stage 3! I took 30 min to eat it and it was cold by then, but, oh, man! I have been off Metformin since I started the pre-surgery liquid diet, and am off one of my 2 blood pressure meds totally. My BP is in the normal range and resting heart rate is in the 60s now. Best thing I ever did for myself! 75 lbs down from HW, 40 from SW. You may have weight loss "stalls" at about 3 weeks and 6 wks, but everyone is different. Best of luck to you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

Curious, everyone sounds able to easily adjust after surgery. We're you following a strict diet before? My surgery is Nov 29 and I've cut back but feel like I'm going through the food funeral stage but regretful because it doesn't taste as good as I thought it would

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

Curious, everyone sounds able to easily adjust after surgery. We're you following a strict diet before? My surgery is Nov 29 and I've cut back but feel like I'm going through the food funeral stage but regretful because it doesn't taste as good as I thought it would

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

My program didn't have any pre-op liquid diet. Just high Protein (3 oz first at every meal), low carb. I followed it pretty well (not perfectly) and lost 25 lbs in the two months between orientation and surgery. We had to finish dinner by 6pm the day before surgery, but no prep other than that. Every program is very different.