Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plastic surgery patient wins malpractice suit

This is a true story of a patient that was horribly disfigured by her plastic surgeon. She successfully sued him for malpractice, which is a very difficult thing to do since the law is on the surgeon's side owing to heavy lobbyists and the unequivocal power of insurance companies to litigate, as well as the bias of juries that plastic surgery is elective and therefore you get what you deserve.

Here is her story on RealSelf, with photos https://www.realself.com/review/desplanes-il-butt-lift-disaster-surgery-performed-dr-vincent-makhalouf#comment-4469039

Here is the story on her attorney's blog http://www.sandberglaw.com/blog/2015/11/12/jury-awards-200000-for-botched-cosmetic-surgery/

This is what scares me silly about the idea of having skin removal surgery. I don't want to be deformed.

@@PorkChopExpress

If you choose a reputable surgeon, you won't be deformed, especially like the lady in this story. I had three separate surgeries, and my last one I ended up getting an infection. I now have kind of an ugly scar on my lower back- it looks a little like I got shot in the upper butt with a large caliber rifle (or a small shotgun, lol). The scar line across my back is uneven as well, mostly due to the infection, but with clothing on, I look exponentially better than I ever could have looked before. My surgeon did a beautiful job and like most surgeons, will fix my messed up scar on my back whenever I'm ready. Right now I'm still a little over plastics...I had over a year of combined recovery for all of the procedures and the only time you can see my scar is when I'm not wearing clothing (and if someone sees me like that, they'd better not be thinking about a scar!). This doctor could have potentially avoided being sued if he had fixed what he had done for free, although, yikes, I'm not sure I'd want to go under the knife with that guy again.

Bottom line, these stories are the very few exclusions- most plastics surgeons are very good at their job and give you fantastic results. Even when something unavoidable happens, like did with my last procedure, it can usually be fixed. Skin removal made me whole life different and I am very grateful that I was in a position where I could afford to have it done.

AvaFern I just wanted to say that our STATS: are very close. I had the RNY July 2, 2013. My HW 249 (this time I weighed 285#'s earlier) SW 232 LW 117 CW 125#'s. I have maintained my weight for 2 and 1/2 years. I basically was down to 117#'s in 6 months. I also had a PANNI done a year ago in Sept. I wasn't happy with my results because when we talked about what I needed he told me that he would pull everything around from my back and pull up my FUPA also. Right after my surgery I ask him at my 1st return visit What about my upper stomach and my back and my FUPA I was told it was just the swelling. But guess what it wasn't!! Every time I saw him afterwards I continued to ask him about the things he had said he would do!! Finally, at my last appointment, he told me I was blessed with needing Lipo on my upper stomach, and he would give me a good deal!! He said these are happy surgeries and not to worry. He said he would do a Breast Lift and Lipo for $6,000 to $7,000. I am 60 years old and I don't want a rockin body and wouldn't dress much different than I do now plus I had a severe reaction to a muscle relaxant and I was paralyzed for 8 hours!! I just wish I would have researched the surgeries better I would have gladly paid the extra for what I needed. I go back and forth telling myself it is what it is. Any how my advice to anyone deciding to go for plastic's check out everything before you go in!!

I had skin removed. Both front and back. Amazing difference. When I woke up I had a foley and catheter and four drains to go home with. After three days the foley and catheter came out and a week later the drains

Well worth the week of of misery.

@@PorkChopExpress Don't be frightened. There are risks associated with any surgery, but botched plastics can mostly be avoided if you do your research, and look at photos and talk to real live past patients. Not that I am blaming the victim in this case at all! I am appalled by her results and very glad she was able to successfully sue. No one should have to go through something like that. I can't even really figure out what the surgeon in that case was TRYING to do to get results that bad!

Anyway, like @@AvaFern said, the worst "disfiguring" you could expect with a reputable surgeon is scarring from infection or necrosis, which a surgeon has little control over. It's usually minor and can be surgically revised once you are healed up.

@@PorkChopExpress Do your research.... and get multiple consults if you can. I had my TT (hip to hip) done feb 2012. I LOVE the way it came out... He did exactly what i told him to do. He made a very low incision, did Lipo on my back and flanks, got rid of my FUPA. Now is the scare perfectly straight... No, but who cares...

post-74134-0-26281200-1476130879_thumb.jpg

What everyone else said... I met with five plastic surgeons, did two Internet consults and looked at hundreds of pictures and read dozens of reviews before picking my surgeon and am thrilled with the results.

Well, my plan is to get as lean as I can before I do anything, because I know that the thinner your skin is, the better your cosmetic result and the quicker the recovery. So I've got a ways to go before I have to worry about it :) Then I'll have to hope I can get insurance to cover some of it.

OMFG!!! Was he even experienced? The pictures of his work...what was he even thinking!!! I'm so happy for her and I pray she can now heal both emotionally and physically.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App