Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you wish you'd known before lap band surgery?

I wish that I had known that there was a newer surgery that would be a better fit for me (gastric sleeve) It was a brand new procedure and I wouldn't consider it at the time. Four years and 145 pounds later, I still live with the uncertainty of projectile vomiting, food getting stuck, and all the usual lap band related stuff. Often it is my own fault-operator error.

My husband is six months post op gastric sleeve and he has had a much less complicated process and is 9 pounds from goal weight.

However, in spite of the inconveniences, I have still had success with the band and hope that I can continue this journey in a healthier body that I achieved as a result of the weight loss.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Yeah, seems to have been extremely variable experiences both here and somewhere else I posted.

It's interesting, we say 'everyone is different' but we're not, that's why things like public health campaigns work, because you can identify oft common behaviours and trends. I wonder what people whom the band has failed have in common with each other that has been different for the people for whom it has.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

that is a very interesting proposition and as a person who works with data and metrics, I'd really like to see the data for failed lap bands and review for commonalities. @@Alex Brecher, what do you think about some data analysis? Not just for bands, but for all surgeries?

It's extremely difficult to do a study like this. There is the newish MBSAQIP reporting that many "accredited" bariatric centers report to but the data isn't really public and it's going to be a little while until it can be put into practical use. There are many bariatric centers that aren't part of this at all.

I just read about a new study that's starting that was recently awarded but sadly it doesn't include Lap-Band.

The problem is we don't even have noisy data one can try and work out the signal from - the anecdotal evidence here suggests that there's a contingent of unknown size of people whose bands are failing them because they aren't changing their eating habits and continue to eat too much, fast, without chewing enough etc.nearly every day and in some cases at every meal. I simply haven't been able to find studies on why that is. Why would you knowingly consume food in such a way that you *know* it is very likely to make you sick? I don't understand that.

And also, I very strongly believe that smoking has a substantial effect on one's hunger/PCOS/insulin and I've not found anything on that either. I gave up smoking just before the surgery but took it up again this week after eight weeks and fifteen pounds lost and I've gained three pounds on the scale - now I've done some other stuff that could also explain that like consuming quite a high amount of salt yesterday, but it's impossible to work out what's causing what because the research is either not done or it's locked away in a journal somewhere I can't find.

I believe the reason one would knowingly consume things he or she knows will cause sickness is akin to the reason people continue to take drugs knowing they will harm the body, ruin relationships, and even potentially result in incarceration. In a word, that reason is addiction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

Sometimes it's because you want to enjoy the things that other people are enjoying, things that you miss from your before life.

And sometimes I can eat something today without a problem, and have an entirely different experience the following day with the same food.

It even depends on how tight my clothing is or when I last had a bowel movement. It's a tricky situation to navigate.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I totally agree....

I moved the port of the band during Tummy Tuck. It doesnt protude anymore.

I needed my port moved as well. No tummy tuck but it stuck out like a golf ball. Even got caught on my belt sometimes and warning...might be TMI, but certain positions in the bedroom caused a problem as well. Not anymore though now that it's tucked behind the muscle.. ;)

Yeah, seems to have been extremely variable experiences both here and somewhere else I posted.

It's interesting, we say 'everyone is different' but we're not, that's why things like public health campaigns work, because you can identify oft common behaviours and trends. I wonder what people whom the band has failed have in common with each other that has been different for the people for whom it has.

that is a very interesting proposition and as a person who works with data and metrics, I'd really like to see the data for failed lap bands and review for commonalities. @@Alex Brecher, what do you think about some data analysis? Not just for bands, but for all surgeries?
It's extremely difficult to do a study like this. There is the newish MBSAQIP reporting that many "accredited" bariatric centers report to but the data isn't really public and it's going to be a little while until it can be put into practical use. There are many bariatric centers that aren't part of this at all.

I just read about a new study that's starting that was recently awarded but sadly it doesn't include Lap-Band.

The problem is we don't even have noisy data one can try and work out the signal from - the anecdotal evidence here suggests that there's a contingent of unknown size of people whose bands are failing them because they aren't changing their eating habits and continue to eat too much, fast, without chewing enough etc.nearly every day and in some cases at every meal. I simply haven't been able to find studies on why that is. Why would you knowingly consume food in such a way that you *know* it is very likely to make you sick? I don't understand that.

And also, I very strongly believe that smoking has a substantial effect on one's hunger/PCOS/insulin and I've not found anything on that either. I gave up smoking just before the surgery but took it up again this week after eight weeks and fifteen pounds lost and I've gained three pounds on the scale - now I've done some other stuff that could also explain that like consuming quite a high amount of salt yesterday, but it's impossible to work out what's causing what because the research is either not done or it's locked away in a journal somewhere I can't find.

I believe success rates have significantly increased due to more extensive educational requirements pre surgery due to insurance company requirements or the bariatric surgery center offering/requiring. I took six months of classes pre-surgery and attend a monthly support group post surgery. I'm always learning from others and feel encouraged after I leave support group. Plus I'm making friends with people who understand the journey regardless of which surgery we each had.

Had lapband surgery 10/12/16

I wish I would have known that it wouldn't work for me and it would cause me more problems. That I would have episode after episode for the last 5 years. And now have to have a revision to rny. I wish I would have known I would gain all my weight back and my comorbidities would all have come back. I wish I would have gone with the rny in the first place

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

If you don't mind me asking what kind ofpromblems did you have with your band? I'm a newly banded patient. I find myself scared of every little thing. I have been watching some on youtube of the non successful patients.i find myself wanting to learn more about those patients and less about the successful ones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

Wish I had known pregnancy would cause complications with the band. Wish I had known they have a limited lifespan. But I had mine done in the early days...not much information around back then. Would say I wish I'd done rny from the start, but I don't think my bmi was low enough back then.

Revision went well. I'm a little over two months post op and learning to live a healthy life with the sleeve. I'm down 34 pounds since pre op diet started and 27 since surgery. I feel good! Still thrilled that I made the switch!!!

No more stuck episodes and I'm almost to the lowest weight I ever reached with the band.

I joke with my family that I'm entering uncharted weight territory and I'm going to run out of clothes to wear shortly.

There is a big difference with full with the sleeve-I can't take one bite past the full sensation or I will be uncomfortable for hours. Haven't gone off the program at all at this point. No thanksgiving treats and no Christmas goodies but it's all good. Still amazed at how quickly I get full-there just isn't room in my tiny new stomach for non Protein.

I wish I would have known that it wouldn't work for me and it would cause me more problems. That I would have episode after episode for the last 5 years. And now have to have a revision to rny. I wish I would have known I would gain all my weight back and my comorbidities would all have come back. I wish I would have gone with the rny in the first place

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Yep. I haven't had major problems and i havent had sucess. Its largely like nothing happened except i can't eat so much and carbonated beverages kill me. But That's right about where I'm at now. Going through the process to revise to the bypass. Which I wanted in the first place, but everyone said I was too young at the time (21).

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Edited by FatNinja13

i wish i would have know the following:

1. achieving and staying in the "green zone" is damn near impossible

2. every adjustment would cost my$250.. so over $1,000 per year

3. that my band tightness would be effected by air pressure..the weather..my period and stress

4. that i cant slack off once i reach goal

5. once my band was emptied...it would NEVER reach the green zone again

6. i wish there were more options for wls when i got the band.

i wish i would have know the following:

1. achieving and staying in the "green zone" is damn near impossible

2. every adjustment would cost my$250.. so over $1,000 per year

3. that my band tightness would be effected by air pressure..the weather..my period and stress

4. that i cant slack off once i reach goal

5. once my band was emptied...it would NEVER reach the green zone again

6. i wish there were more options for wls when i got the band.

#5 all day!!! After pregnancy, mine was never the same

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using the BariatricPal App

I am truly happy for those of you who have done well with the band and I hope that continues to be the case for life.

Unfortunately, just from my experience and what I have seen of other long-time bandsters, I don't think most people have a good experience with the band over the long run. It seems to me that, sooner or later, most bandsters need to have another surgical procedure to fix or remove the band/port. If I had really understood that when I originally had surgery, I would have made a different choice. Going through multiple surgeries just isn't worth it to me and the problems I had with the band stole a lot of quality of life from me until I had the band removed a few days ago.

I lived with my band for 13 years, and for the first few years, everything seemed fine. I lost a lot of weight and felt decent. Unfortunately by the time I had it taken out several days ago, I had ended up with a major slippage of the band and had gained a lot of the weight I originally lost while I was living with an unfilled band due to the intolerable reflux.

I feel like sometimes the social stigma against fat people causes people to be too quick to blame bariatric patients for surgical failures. Sometimes, even if you follow all the rules and don't binge or abuse your band, your band may still not stay in place, may cause intolerable reflux, or may make it impossible to eat healthy food without being uncomfortable. That's not anyone's fault. The problem lies with the fact that science is still trying to figure out the best way to help obese people, not the character of the innocent people who sometimes are hurt by these surgeries.