Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Parents with young kids out there?

I'm scheduled for the sleeve on the 13 of December. I am getting help from the in-laws, thank goodness! Goodluck to you.

I'm 28 and was sleeved on 10/26. I have a 3 year old and an 18 month old. My husband was home for the first week but I've been doing everything since then. I only lift my youngest when absolutely necessary (21 or 22lbs.) I'm off of work for 6 weeks due to my job requirements (I'm a nurse) I would say recovery has gone well and would highly recommend sleeve surgery....down almost 20lbs in 2.5 weeks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I am 32 I have a 7 and 4 year old so my kids are a little older however I did have the sleeve done on 4/18/17 and I am feeling great. I was told it's usually only one night in the hospital I did have to stay 3 cause I was having a hard time drinking as much Water as they wanted but that was only the first couple days now I have no problem with nausea and my pain is so minimal. I have been getting the kids ready for school every morning taking my dog out (who is 50lbs and likes to chase anything that moves lol) and hoping to go back to work after my 2 week checkup. Every person is different but recovery has been a lot easier then from my c sections that's for sure. I have heard from a lot of people who have had the band that they slipped and they didn't get results they wanted. There were a few people in my support groups that had the band that are now going for the sleeve. All I can say is look into both that's what I did. I ended up going sleeve but again everyone is different. Best of luck to you

On 10/5/2016 at 6:04 AM, HRHMKB said:

I'm 33 years old and am now just under 300. (people will argue that I don't look like I weigh that much but the scale doesn't lie). I'm a size 18/20. I have had moderate success losing about 50 lbs from last November using diet and medication. I am currently on Victoza and MEtformin because I also suffer from PCOS. I am active and exercise 3-4 days a week. I am having my first consult in two weeks and am looking at the sleeve or potentially the band. I know the band is going out of style, but my concern is recovery time. I have three young kids, 4, 3, and 2 and while my husband is supportive, I don't want any undue burden falling on him as I recover. Are there parents with younger kids out there who have or will undergo surgery that can share experiences? I'm nervous about all of this, but committed to getting healthier. We are looking into a fourth child and I refuse to be this large when I get pregnant. Thank you!

You sound so much like me. I'm 32 and have a 4 year old son. Pcos sucks... I'm talking to my surgeon tomorrow. Nervous, a bit scared but I also want another 2 kids and refuse to do it at 275 pounds!!! Did you go through with your surgery? Which one did you choose?

5 hours ago, MusicMom1384 said:

You sound so much like me. I'm 32 and have a 4 year old son. Pcos sucks... I'm talking to my surgeon tomorrow. Nervous, a bit scared but I also want another 2 kids and refuse to do it at 275 pounds!!! Did you go through with your surgery? Which one did you choose?

I got the sleeve done on 12/13. Best decision of my life. I was in the hospital for one night and healed up very quickly. I'm down almost 60 lbs now and am now a dress size 14. It's been an adjustment, but a good one! I started running a few weeks ago as well and have really increased my stamina as well. All in all, I still deal with PCOS and the Water retention, but this was a great change for me!

That's really great to hear. Thank you for responding. How did it work out with your kids?

19 hours ago, MusicMom1384 said:

That's really great to hear. Thank you for responding. How did it work out with your kids?

It actually was fine. My in laws came and watched the kids for a week while I healed and now, it's a whole new adventure chasing them.

31 year old single mom here of an 8 year old. Although my daughter is significantly more self sufficient at her age. She still needs help. I recruited help from Friends and family. I've learned that I actually need to ask for help. Which is SO not in my nature. I am a proud person. I enjoy being able to do things on my own. Ask for help. Remind your husband it's a temporary state of being for long term success and benefit to your health :)

I'm post op 2 weeks as of today.

good luck!!

33 yr old mama of 4 here. I was sleeved on 11/21/16 so 9 months post op tomorrow. My kiddos were 10, 6, 4 and 2.5 when I had surgery. My husband works out of state for the railroad and is gone 8 days home 5 and repeat. We planned it so that the night I was released from the hospital he was getting home so that he was home those first 5 days post op. It honestly wasn't too bad. I only took pain meds for 3 days. Was driving on day 4 and back to normal after he left for his next hitch. Errands, school etc. My only issue was with my youngest. She is a huge Mama's girl and wanted carried or picked up and I wasn't supposed to lift more than 10 lbs for the first two weeks. She learned how to climb in and out of her car seat if her biggest brother wasn't there to help her. I am so glad I did it though. Part of me wishes I would have done it years ago but the other part is glad I waited until I was done having children as I had 3 of my 4 kiddos in a 4 year span. As for the pain for me personally it was like period cramps. I had my tubes removed when my youngest was 3 months old and it was WAY harder recovering from that surgery compared to recovery from VSG.

follow me on Instagram @sleevedsummer

I'm new to this site and had my surgery September 14. Also a RR wife also four kids. Youngest 3. Thank you for your post. Does the foggy feeling go away when you start incorporating Protein Shakes?

The foggy feeling for me went away around week 3/4. Once I actually was hitting my protien goals and Water intake goals my head cleared.

follow me on Instagram @sleevedsummer

I was sleeved 8/22 I have an 18, 16 and 8 year old while I have older children and could depend on them to take on responsibilities. I'm also a single mom whom can not miss a day of work... I was kept an extra day in the hospital and was released on a Thursday. By Saturday I was at a family party enjoying on my fight but made the mistake of not resting enough. Don't forget the rest it's needed and necessary. I did go back to work that Monday though and feel more energetic than ever!!!!