Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I'm so scared I've spent all this money for nothing

I am so depressed. I am not a whiner or crier but I've been so upset this past couple weeks. I think my surgery is broken. I was sleeved aug 25,2016. I immediately lost 16 lbs before September came. Then my September weight loss for the ENTIRE month was 11lbs!! ONLY 11lbs! Those 11 lbs were the first 3 weeks of sept because I haven't lost a pound for the last 2 weeks! Every day I step on the scale and cry again. I know I shouldn't weigh myself daily but I'm obsessed and cannot help it. I use GENEPRO and get my Protein in, but fluids are not up to par. I eat 3-4 times a day and no Snacks except a couple days I snacked on a piece of turkey Jerky but once the bag was gone, I haven't snacked at all. I don't know what to do. I'm so scared this won't work and I'm destin to be overweight. I was so excited to do this and read success stories and looked at pics. I had such high expectations. I expected to be 45 lbs down by now. I'm only half there so I feel like I'm failing. Can I hear from some slow losers that have long term results? I need reassurance badly!! Is there anyone this surgery just didn't work for? Come one, come all, I need to know what I'm dealing with. Love this site, it's so informative. I've gotten more advice and help through this site from anyone anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

your starting weight was only 247. my starting weight at surgery was 238 and I am shorter than you so I think we are pretty comparable. (the silly tracker puts my higher weight in which can be misleading but that's not my fault. that's the weight I was at my consult) I am down to 191 at 7 months. I also went into this with the expectation I would have lost weight faster, but hey it *is* coming off, and likely in a much more healthy way. There is no way I could have lost almost 50 pounds before surgery. it just never happened.

so. control what you can control and don't worry about the rest.

where are you calories supposed to be at right now? your Protein and fluids? these are all things you can control. I walk 5 miles per day almost every day - through the course of the day. I eat right, sleep well and the weight is coming off. I had to learn to make peace with the scale, my weight fluctuates a lot but is always trending down, and I only count my weigh in's on Monday, no matter how often I weigh in between.

@@gustavio Your expectations were far too high! You're only 6 weeks out or so and have lost 27 lbs - that's not a slow loss. I'm not sure why you would have expected to lose 45 lbs already - that's not realistic at all. You need to concentrate on getting enough Protein and fluids and stay off the scale. Your surgery is not broken. I'm sure you've seen the posts about stalling - and that's what you've been doing the last 2 weeks. Lower your expectations or you will only be disappointed.

@@gustavio Your expectations were far too high! You're only 6 weeks out or so and have lost 27 lbs - that's not a slow loss. I'm not sure why you would have expected to lose 45 lbs already - that's not realistic at all. You need to concentrate on getting enough Protein and fluids and stay off the scale. Your surgery is not broken. I'm sure you've seen the posts about stalling - and that's what you've been doing the last 2 weeks. Lower your expectations or you will only be disappointed.

Thank you for your honesty. the 27 lbs I've lost include the 7 lbs I lost on pre op diet. I guess I was watching other people's weight loss on here and thought I'd be similar. I thought my stall was over yesterday when i stepped on the scale and I had finally FINALLY lost a pound and was 218.6 but then today, I'm at 220! I knew I would be heavier today because I felt bloated. I shouldn't even have stepped on the scale because it triggered an "episode".

your starting weight was only 247. my starting weight at surgery was 238 and I am shorter than you so I think we are pretty comparable. (the silly tracker puts my higher weight in which can be misleading but that's not my fault. that's the weight I was at my consult) I am down to 191 at 7 months. I also went into this with the expectation I would have lost weight faster, but hey it *is* coming off, and likely in a much more healthy way. There is no way I could have lost almost 50 pounds before surgery. it just never happened.

so. control what you can control and don't worry about the rest.

where are you calories supposed to be at right now? your Protein and fluids? these are all things you can control. I walk 5 miles per day almost every day - through the course of the day. I eat right, sleep well and the weight is coming off. I had to learn to make peace with the scale, my weight fluctuates a lot but is always trending down, and I only count my weigh in's on Monday, no matter how often I weigh in between.

My doc didn't give me a guideline for calories but I'm not getting more than 600-700. Fluid is suppose to be 64oz. But I'm probably getting 40oz. I've never drank much. Before surgery and as long as I can remember I would go every other morning and get me an unsweet 42oz peach mango tea from the station and that lasts me all of 2 days. My husband says I'm a camel. Now I try harder to drink and only Water tastes good to me now so I'm drinking what I use to drink in 2 days, in one. My docs Protein goal for me is 64oz. Which I take 30g of GENEPRO twice daily and then count on my diet to get the other 4 grams. So I'm sure I'm exceeding my protein goals. Thank you for the encouraging words. I have never been one to need them and constantly need validation but this has been a trying time for me.

@@gustavio You can't compare yourself to others. We are all different. Men lose faster than woman usually. Often those losing a significant amount of weight that early on have a lot more to lose than you do. This isn't a race - you have done well and should be ecstatic! Without surgery, it would have taken me a year to lose 20 lbs and about 3 minutes to gain it all back. Stop weighing so often - you're going to sabotage yourself!

And increase your fluids!!!

Edited by KristenLe

A little perspective here. In 6 weeks you have lost 29 pounds according to your stats on the left. You started at 247. You have lost 11% of your body weight and 28% of your weight to goal. In 6 weeks!

Please explain why your upset?

@@gustavio You can't compare yourself to others. We are all different. Men lose faster than woman usually. Often those losing a significant amount of weight that early on have a lot more to lose than you do. This isn't a race - you have done well and should be ecstatic! Without surgery, it would have taken me a year to lose 20 lbs and about 3 minutes to gain it all back. Stop weighing so often - you're going to sabotage yourself!

And increase your fluids!!!

You r so right. Ha ha @ 3 minutes to gain it back. True frigging story!

Thanks again

A little perspective here. In 6 weeks you have lost 29 pounds according to your stats on the left. You started at 247. You have lost 11% of your body weight and 28% of your weight to goal. In 6 weeks!

Please explain why your upset?

Idk-I'm a woman, I'm emotional, I want what I want and when I want it. Damnit.

In all seriousness I banked on 30lbs loss every month. When it became apparent that wasn't happening, I crashed emotionally. It seems my big mistake is comparing to others results.

OMG calm down!!!!!! You are doing great by the way. By the time I hit 6 weeks I had only lost 25 lbs. My goal was to get to 30lbs by 6 weeks but I didn't---- SO WHAT!!!!!! My goal was to get to Onederland by 10/1 and I didn't--- SO WHAT!!!!!! Those are just personal goals that I set to push myself. As long as you're losing not gaining. There are some weeks where I only lose 0.8 lbs, some weeks I lose nothing. Then I have a good week. Your body needs time to adjust and calibrate. Do you measure yourself? It's not all in the scales. At some point I was honest with myself and knew I wasn't as active as I should be so I stepped up my activity level. From 2 days a week to 4-5 days a week. Weight loss picked up--I saw better results. Keep doing what you are supposed to and it will happen over time. Think BIGGER PICTURE. Long term. Not day to day. Try weighing at the same time preferably mornings and try to limit your weigh ins to once a week. Log your weights and observe your trends. You will find you are doing much better than you think you are. Hang in there and try not to be so hard on yourself. You're doing great.

40oz of fluids at 6 weeks out isn't nearly enough! Don't wait until you are thirsty to drink - keep drinking all day long. While I don't think your weight loss is slow - it's comparable to where I was at 6 weeks out and I'm a much higher BMI, not drinking enough can stall the movement on the scale. Please, please lower your expectations - 30lbs every month is not realistic at all and is only going to leave you disappointed. 10lbs in a month is completely respectable.

Look for posts about the three week stall. Happens to most of us somewhere between 2-5 weeks out.

Give it a month or so and see what happens!

I was sleeved 8/30/16 so am right there with you. My surgery weights was 232 and I'm at 209 right now so 23 lbs. I was eating a lot of cream based Soups and chowders as soon as I was allowed and my weight loss stalled a bit. I went back to clear Soups when I did have some and the weight immediately started coming off again. Maybe look at the items you're eating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

I have posted a few times on the same exact thing...loosing slow is not easy. At the time of surgery I was on the borderline of BMI requirement to have the surgery with no co-morbs. I was afraid that they were going to deny me but my Surgeons team knew exactly what to do to get me approved. They made sure that I was aware that lower BMI's will loose at a slower rate. Sure enough that was me. I am just over 3 months out from surgery and have lost 41lbs as of today. 10 of those pounds were lost during the Pre-diet. So in actuality I've only lost about 31lbs, in 3 1/2 months. My stalls last 2-3 weeks. When the scale is actively going down, I am NOT loosing inches. When I am loosing inches the scale is NOT going down. It doesn't make sense but that is exactly how my weightloss is going thus far. I am not complaining because I feel great, I am now in a size 14...some 12s and I NEVER imagined that I would be this size again!! I also know that I am not done and if I keep loosing at the slow rate, that I am...I will hit goal of 160 by Christmas and I am sooooo looking forward to that!

The beginning is hard especially if the scale is slow...I will say that there was a point where my weight didn't budge at all...I went in to see my surgeon and she questioned my calories...which was about 400-600. maybe not even that, but she said I need to increase my calories and get to at least 800..Sure enough when I started adding in more calories, the scale would move down so I know that was a huge factor.

Hang in there is all I can say. The results will surprise you 1 day soon!

Hang in there! You will be fine. Your body likes homeostasis so you are battling road blocks to loose weight. Some times you drop and other times you wont. It's hard and can be disheartening but you are loosing! It's okay to vent. That's why its support forums! Keep following your plan. Accept that you will not be perfect but you pull it back together and move forward! Hugs and we'll wishes to you!

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App