Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappointed with weight loss

I'm feeling very disappointed and a little defeated. 5 days after surgery I only lost 4.5 lbs. Now 2 weeks after that, on liquids only, I only lost 5 more. I'm grateful that I'm losing but I really did expect a bigger number. On the first follow up, I was there with people who had the surgery the same day as me. 5 days post one had lost 9lbs and 1 lost 15lbs. I know we are not supposed to compare but it's hard not to. I start pureed foods today. I'm concerned that's going to slow it down even more. I know my thyroid diseases play a part but it's between pre and post op nothing but liquids, I expected better results. I'm really concerned. Grateful to have a place to vent with people who get it.

@@cbonet The fact you lost ANY weight 5 days post-op is excellent! Others who lose faster may have more weight to lose - or they had more Water weight to lose (depending on whether they had a pre-op diet or how they ate prior to surgery). Your loss is not slow - nearly 10 lbs in 2 weeks is a great loss! Stay strong - you're going to stall - you need to follow your program and just keep working at it.

Your body is going to do what it needs to do for healing and weightloss. Setting expectations that you will lose fast is setting yourself up for a lot of disappointment. Some will lose faster than others. You have probably lost more than someone else.

You are on a new journey that will be filled with ups and downs and stalls. Focus on your overall goal to alleviate frustration.

the fact that you lost any weight the first two weeks is a bonus! chances are you left the hospital weighing more than when you went in thanks to all those iv fluids. plus your body is completely reeling and focusing on healing. If you are going to compare (which i highly caution against comparing your journey to anyone else's) at least compare to a full sample pool. I lost nothing - NOT EVEN ONE TENTH OF A POUND - in the first two weeks after surgery. At three months out I had lost 48 pounds - so the weight loss does come. Be patient and just focus on healing and following your post op plan.

If you follow your surgeons program and do what you need to do, you'll get there. I'm living proof. It took me 15 months to lose 95 pounds. Frustrating for sure! I finally got smart and stopped comparing my losses to everyone else and just kept my eye on the prize and the next thing I knew, I was 6 or 7 pounds below my goal. Now I've been maintaining it for a year, and none of the fretting over my weight loss even matters anymore.

Besides, almost 10 pounds in 2 weeks is not slow at all. You're doing great so far. Enjoy the journey!

I am with you @cbonet. I am going to take these words of advice here. My nurse even told me NOT to weigh myself when I got home from the hospital (you KNOW I did anyway) she said each IV bag weighs 2 1/2 pounds and she said there is no way I was eliminating that much. I had several bags over the 2 days I was in. I am down 1 1/2 pounds since Wednesday. FIVE days, 1.5 pounds! I am trying to not get frustrated. I lost more on the preop diet. But I know it will come. It HAS to. I am barely getting 30 oz of fluids in a day and my Protein has been difficult (waiting for some new stuff to come in the mail, the shakes I have gag me and make my stomach feel ill) I am hopeful things turn around for BOTH of us soon!

Stop paying attention to how much other people are losing. Seriously. Pay attention to how well you are following your own program and cancel everything else out of your mind. Get off social media (and this app/website) if you have to. It isn't helping you and it isn't making you happy, and comparing your weight loss to other people's weight loss never leads to good things. Neither does expecting a certain amount of weight lost each week or each month.

I am with you @cbonet. I am going to take these words of advice here. My nurse even told me NOT to weigh myself when I got home from the hospital (you KNOW I did anyway) she said each IV bag weighs 2 1/2 pounds and she said there is no way I was eliminating that much. I had several bags over the 2 days I was in. I am down 1 1/2 pounds since Wednesday. FIVE days, 1.5 pounds! I am trying to not get frustrated. I lost more on the preop diet. But I know it will come. It HAS to. I am barely getting 30 oz of fluids in a day and my Protein has been difficult (waiting for some new stuff to come in the mail, the shakes I have gag me and make my stomach feel ill) I am hopeful things turn around for BOTH of us soon!

You are very low on fluids, that might be a big reason for "slower" loss. Concentrate on meeting your Fluid and Protein goals and your body will release the weight.

But still, I think you have had a great start!

Nilla

Thank you everyone. I know I got stuck on the numbers. The 10lb total

is from preop till today, almost a month. I think I'm just having an emotional reaction to maybe unrealistic expectations. I didn't consider the IV fluids and other factors that you guys shared. I do realize that the goal is long term success not short term. As for all of us, this has been an emotional roller coaster. I don't have one family member or friend who can relate to a lifetime of obesity and all that entails, and having this forum is a gift that most definitely helps. I am grateful to all of you and appreciate your responses. My best to all of you. Pulling up my big girl pants☺.

@@cbonet --

How is it hard not to compare people who have nothing to do with you? If you insist on comparing, maybe it will cheer you up to think that they'll hit a stall very soon.

You went into this wanting to lose weight. That's exactly what you're doing. How bad is that?

Often our first mistake is to "expect" because the unspoken word that precedes it is "unrealistically." We can want what we want, but what we get is what counts. You, Miz C, are getting countable, i.e., measurable results. Enjoy it.

P.S.

You rascal, sneaking in there a few minutes ahead of me. I came back in to reassure you that the big-girl pants will decrease in size as you go along.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

☺. I am happy for the loss. I got lost for a moment, but I would never feel better due to someone else's struggle. We're in this together!

Take the time you are spending weighing and worrying about your weight and sip. 30 oz of Fluid is dangerously low. Focus on getting in your protein and fluids. Until you are able to consistently reach your protein target and drink at least 64 oz of fluid the numbers in the scale are irrelevant.

This is the post I needed to read this morning. It's been 6 days since my sleeve and I haven't lost yet and am feeling discouraged. Thank you for all those who replied, you have given me hope back. ????

Sent from my 0PJA2 using the BariatricPal App