Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unrealistic Expectations

Hey there everyone!! I can't wait to be sleeved and a projected surgery date could be January or February. Most of the people I've told about my sleeve surgery have said I'm going to look like a completely different person. In my mind for some reason I am thinking my life is going to be drastically different...but I'm trying to wrap my mind around how. How I'm going to look at a normal weight...I'm 5'11/2" and weigh between 247-250 and have been overweight almost all of my life....will I truly have more energy (when I'm home from work I don't feel like doing anything but holding down the couch and ALWAYS tired)....will I have more self-esteem and self confidence (because right now it's pretty crappy..as it has been for a very long time)...I want to be a better Mom to my son. I am a single Mom to an 11 yr old who is getting into a lot of different activities at school and we are kicking around running our first 5k together after my surgery. I'm not having second thoughts about surgery, but I want to be realistic about the possible changes and not disappointed in something that might not change. I need life changing. What were some changes (both good and bad) after everyone's surgery that were drastically different than before?

For the ladies- Did you still have PMS cravings after surgery?...chocolate, salt and Pepsi Lol.

Sorry this post is so long..just curious. ????

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

well I'm only 3 months post op but all the changes so far have been great! Like you I was a couch defender! I am much more active, I feel more energetic. I look much better in clothes therefore feeling much better about myself. I am more eager to go places. I hung out with a friend this weekend for her bday and had a ball! people in general are much more friendly I guess I never noticed that they were not friendly in the past but its just moreso. Good luck to you!!!!

You will definitely have a life changing experience. I was a big couch potato now I go to the gym 6 days a week at5am and biking on weekends for 2-3 hours. Surgery was the best decision I ever made. I was 350lbs now 200 solid . Definitely have more energy

post-244766-14754558245933_thumb.jpg

I had surgery 5/29/15 but lost all my weight by thanksgiving the same year. Now I'm just maintaining

post-244766-14754558918709_thumb.jpg

Rock Stars! The winner here will be that 11 year old boy whose Mom is going to be totally awesome!!!!!!!

I have definitely had a life changing experience. I'm a mom too and really struggled being active with my kids. I usually just hung out at home watch tv with them and then sent them to the park with their dad when he got home. Part of it was not having any energy and part was not wanting to be seen because I hated how I looked. I've lost 168 lbs and I feel amazing. I'm not worried about what people think anymore and I'm much more energetic. I can take them out and have fun and I have no problem keeping up. Expect great things and make great things happen!

post-258107-14754579524512_thumb.jpg

Awww thanks for the kind words everyone!! All of you look absolutely amazing!! I can't wait to get sleeved ????. Scheduled to go to a group orientation 10/11. From there I'll have an appointment with one of the surgeons, date for more testing and the date of the first of the 3 appointments with the nutritionist.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks for all the inspirational pics! Wow! Great strides. Kudos to all of you.

Sent from my SM-G900H using the BariatricPal App

I have definitely had a life changing experience. I'm a mom too and really struggled being active with my kids. I usually just hung out at home watch tv with them and then sent them to the park with their dad when he got home. Part of it was not having any energy and part was not wanting to be seen because I hated how I looked. I've lost 168 lbs and I feel amazing. I'm not worried about what people think anymore and I'm much more energetic. I can take them out and have fun and I have no problem keeping up. Expect great things and make great things happen!

You look amazing did u have a lot of loose skin after it no?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi! I am also in the pre op stage and had most of the same questions. I also hope to do a 5K one day. I have signed up for a virtual "run" where you can walk, bike, or run whenever and wherever you like. You also do it at your own pace so if you walk a half mile one day and ride a exercise bike a mile the next you just log what you do. When reach the goal you will get a medal. I decided this would give me some pre-op exercise and help the time pass quicker until surgery. I already feel better about taking a small step towards a new me.

Thanks! Yes, I do have loose skin. It's a little annoying and I hope to have it removed someday, but it's nothing compared to how great I feel. Way better than weighing 321 lbs. I'll take the loose skin anyday.

Sent from my LG-D801 using the BariatricPal App

To answer the PMS question, for me that's a yes. I'm 2 months out so I don't have a long history to draw on but my sept and oct periods were torture because I craved the things I ate before surgery - baked goods, take-out, salt, sugar. I also felt like a bottomless pit (still have restriction during meals but think about eating all day). I have to be extra careful to measure and track food, watch my carbs, and not graze during my period. I hope it gets easier!! During the rest of the month I don't really crave much, some days I can barely meet my Water and Protein goals and don't feel like eating at all. All bets are off during that time of the month!