Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bowel incontinence.

I WAS TOLD TO WATCH CLIPS ON YOU TUBE TO PREPARE ME FOR THE VSG THAT I WOULD HAVE. I DID NOT SEE A SINGLE YOU TUBE CLIP THAT MENTIONED BOWEL INCONTINENCE. 6 DAYS AFTER I WAS DISCHARGED AFTER MY OP, I HAD TO BE RE-ADMITTED FOR FAINTING AND DEHYDRATION CAUSED BY DIARRHEA. 1 MONTH CONSULTATION, I WAS TOLD THAT IF IT HAS NOT IMPROVED MY SURGEON WOULD CONVERT IT TO R&Y BYPASS. I HAVE TO WING IT FOR NOW EXPERIMENTING WITH food UNTIL THEN. USING 4-6 DIAPERS A DAY. I AM SO EMBARRASSED THAT I NO LONGER LEAVE MY ROOM AS IT HAS A ON SUITE BATHROOM. IS EVERYONE THAT SUFERS WITH THIS TOO ASHAMED TO TALK ABOUT THIS, OR AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS THIS PROBLEM?

I am not saying it is CDiff but it could be and it is worth at least ruling it out. CDiff happens in institutional settings (like hospitals and nursing homes). And after powerful antibiotic use like the ones giving post op. It does cause bowel incontinence. Call your doctor and see what they think. They might want you to take a test for it.

Yes, could be C dif. Get tested. I have had very small accidents, but haven't heard anyone with your problem. Good luck!

@ I know you are out a year, you said you've had a few small accidents... Was that due to eating foods your stomach can't take anymore?

Sent from my SM-G900H using the BariatricPal App

@@VSG1965 To be succinct, no it's not a common problem. Good your surgeon is up to date on your condition. I'd get a second opinion as well.

@ I know you are out a year, you said you've had a few small accidents... Was that due to eating foods your stomach can't take anymore?Sent from my SM-G900H using the BariatricPal App

Actually I am out three years from the sleeve. There is no rhyme or reason, as I stay constipated most of the time, and the old saying here is "Don't trust a fart". That is TRUTH.

Do check with surgeon, and maybe a gastroenterologist, c. Diff maybe a malabsorption not typical to post surgery.? I would book both, okay?

Sent from my S55 using the BariatricPal App

Do check with surgeon, and maybe a gastroenterologist, c. Diff maybe a malabsorption not typical to post surgery.? I would book both, okay?

Sent from my S55 using the BariatricPal App

I would definately check for C-diff which is absolutely miserable and sounds like what might be going on here.

I usually hear most suffer from Constipation.< /p>

I know i do and have to take medications every day for dealing with constipation. I had the RNY though.

It might be Clostridium difficile (c diff) as others have stated. Here is a link. http://peggyfoundation.org/c-diff-101/cdiff-101/

After my RNY surgery 3 years ago, I immediately became lactose intolerant. Dairy products gave me instant diarrhea. Some Protein shakes include lactose. Anyways I stopped the dairy and my diarrhea cleared right up. About two months later my lactose intolerance went away. But I tend to think this form of diarrhea problem is associated with RNY gastric bypass and not sleeve patients.

Another thing you might try if you haven't already is to take Probiotics. In surgery, they will often administer antibiotics. This kills not only the bad bacteria, but also the good bacteria in your gut. It is important to reestablish this good bacteria by taking Probiotics.< /p>

On a side note, years ago I suffered from bouts of diarrhea. I found that eating bananas helped immensely with this condition.

it can also be if you have issues with certain sugar alcohols, so I would read the labels of what you are consuming to see if that could be a possible issue.

I know how rough it is since I was on Metformin before surgery and had constant diarrhea. mostly have to manage to not be constipated now.

check for C-diff

i've led a sheltered life :(

I gotta get out more!!!

what does C-diff mean??

thanx

kathy

@@proudgrammy

It is when antibiotics actually kill the good bacteria in your digestive system and causes severe explosive diarrhea. It can make someone very very ill very quickly. They become severely dehydrated and have horribly painful cramps.

Ask me how i know.....You guessed it. It happened to my husband when his dentist gave him an antibiotic in preparation for a crown.

Within a few days he became so ill that he would drink Water and would immediately end up in the bathroom if he could make it that far.

Poor guy, I thought he just had the flu and was being a big ole baby (like most guys when they get sick) Sorry guys...LOL.

Well, he got such a high fever that I got scared, tossed him in the car and drove to the er where they promptly tested for C-Diff and told us it was positive. They pumped him full of narcotics, fluids and a different antibiotic that reverses this problem.

He was sick for weeks and weeks......it took several trips to the er for fluids and different antibiotics. I remember begging him to sip pedialyte and sugar free gaterade.

So.....that what i know about it. It is not fun and I could totally see having to wear diapers to deal with the accidents because I am telling you it is explosive. I remember having to disinfect my house....

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT DJHOHR. I LIVE IN SOUTH AFRICA, AND LIVE ON A DISABILITY GRANT OF R1500 EQUIVALENT TO USD 109. I NOW HAVE ABOUT 5 DIAPERS LEFT FOR THE MONTH. I HAVE TO SAVE THEM FOR WHEN I HAVE TO LEAVE THE ROOM I LIVE IN. I CANNOT JUST GO BACK TO THE HOSPITAL, THEY DO NOT ALLOW IT. MY OP WAS DONE DUE TO NON ALCOHOLIC FATTY LIVER DISEASE. I WILL SEE MY DIETITIAN IN 2 WEEKS TIME. IF I HAVE ANY PROBLEMS SHE WILL CONTACT MY DR. I WILL ONLY SEE HIM IN 2 MONTHS TIME. THE HOSPITAL I HAD MY OP IN IS A STATE RUN FACILITY, A VERY GOOD ONE AT THAT. BUT DUE TO THE MASSES OF PATIENTS YOU CANNOT JUST WALK IN THE FRONT DOOR. INKOSI ALBERT LUTHULI HOSPITAL IN DURBAN. MY SURGEON IS VERY GOOD, BUT OVERWORKED. DUE TO NOT HAVING MONEY FOR DIAPERS, I AM RUINING THE CLOTHS THAT STILL FIT ME. I CANNOT GET THE STAINS OUT OF THEM OR EVEN MY BEDDING. THEY FOUND POLYPS IN MY STOMACH TOOK A BIOPSY OF THEM AND MY LIVER BUT THE RESULT ARE NOT IN YET. I ALSO HAVE REACTIVE LYMPH NODES IN MY GROIN THAT HAVE NOT YET BEEN BIOPSIED. I AM HAPPY ABOUT THE WEIGHT LOSS, BUT THE PROBLEMS ARE PILLING UP AND TAKING THE JOY THAT I SHOULD BE FEELING AWAY FROM ME. I AM BECOMING VERY DEPRESSED.