Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why does the lapband fail

I can't speak for you, but I know with the two people I know who had it, it didn't help curb their self control. Example : Father in law would eat melted ice cream cause it went thru the band no problem. -_-

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

That is what my surgeon says. He doesn't even want to do them anymore. He believes many people abuse the band (his words) by figuring out how to eat around it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using the BariatricPal App

My lap band is due to come out on Thursday. I've had my band for 7 and 1/2 years. Why does the band work for some and not others

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

Just like any weight loss surgery - you need to do the work - it's just a tool! Some are successful some aren't. My surgeon doesn't do lapband because 50-60% need removal due to slipping, erosion or other complications.

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

Cause your big hungry stomach is still intact under it and throwing up sucks, so naturally eating around it occurs.

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

I don't know why it works for some and not for others. All I know is that so far, it works great for me...no band complications and as long as I do my part, no serious weight gain since hitting goal. I'm hoping to one day get to the same marks as our founder Alex, who has his band for around ten years now. I'm not far from my four year anniversary so I've a ways to go yet.

almost 4 years for me as well. I have had zero complications. I know I can eat things that are not healthy and every now and then I will eat something like a small piece of pie or ice cream on a special occasion. but overall I stick to Protein , eating slow and chewing well. it has almost become second nature to me. I never drink while I eat and I don't take any aspirin products. I think all WLS has failures it's not just the band . Every surgery is a tool and it is not a cure all. I have friends who have had bypass and sleeves some do very well some fail. it's more mental than physical. The one thing I can attest to is my band reminds me when I eat too fast and something like dry chicken. I have maintained my loss for a few years and I am eternally grateful for my band. I wish success to each and everyone whatever surgery they have . Life with good health and normal weight is so much better than having to take medications to try to control diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol .. at almost 70 years old I hope I can continue on for many more years.

My lap band is due to come out on Thursday. I've had my band for 7 and 1/2 years. Why does the band work for some and not others

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

Just like any weight loss surgery - you need to do the work - it's just a tool! Some are successful some aren't. My surgeon doesn't do lapband because 50-60% need removal due to slipping, erosion or other complications.

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

I agree it's a tool!! A calculator is a math tool, its not a replacement for learning. Nor is a lapband a replacement for 100%weight loss. I work at using my lapband tool to assist me with my weight loss and controlling my weight.

LoveYouFirst1st

My worked for me reasonably well until I had my son. Afterwards the fills did not work. I would be so restricted in the mornings I struggled to swallow saliva or Water. I felt no restriction in the evening. I had acid reflux so bad that I would wake up choking. I had a partial de-fill and decided I would just have to live at my post pregnancy weight and then it failed entirely..I went to have it tested and there was no saline in it. It wasn't holding a fill. I had it put in in 2005 and removed and revised to bypass a month ago...it was such a relief.

You all know it is a tool not a miracle worker. You have to put in some work, like no bread, tortillas, ice cream junk food. Keep a log and if you have no restriction then go get a fill (monthly)
I lost 120 lbs first year and have kept it off over 7 years now. You can cheat but don’t blame the band for your failures.

Tamie
256/150

13 hours ago, Tamie said:

You all know it is a tool not a miracle worker. You have to put in some work, like no bread, tortillas, ice cream junk food. Keep a log and if you have no restriction then go get a fill (monthly)
I lost 120 lbs first year and have kept it off over 7 years now. You can cheat but don’t blame the band for your failures.

Tamie
256/150

Don't recall anyone posting that they were eating any of the above. this reads like the pharmaceutical propaganda regurgitated. Lucky you that you haven't had complications, but about 50% of the people who have been banded have been permanently maimed by the band. I hope you don't end up like one of us. seriously, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. My hospital roommate was in the OR for 4 hours while they were removing the adhesions from his band to his liver and other organs. There is a reason it has been banned in some countries...and it is not because of ice cream.

My province estimates it is costing the healthcare system 100k in ER visits for every band in the province (prior to revision). The revision rate I've heard from the local bariatric center is around 80%. Every single band study done (even the positive ones) show a complication rate (that requires surgery) in the 30-50% range. You are in the lucky 50%...

Don't recall anyone posting that they were eating any of the above. this reads like the pharmaceutical propaganda regurgitated. Lucky you that you haven't had complications, but about 50% of the people who have been banded have been permanently maimed by the band. I hope you don't end up like one of us. seriously, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. My hospital roommate was in the OR for 4 hours while they were removing the adhesions from his band to his liver and other organs. There is a reason it has been banned in some countries...and it is not because of ice cream.
My province estimates it is costing the healthcare system 100k in ER visits for every band in the province (prior to revision). The revision rate I've heard from the local bariatric center is around 80%. Every single band study done (even the positive ones) show a complication rate (that requires surgery) in the 30-50% range. You are in the lucky 50%...

Oh you did not read who many cheat the band and cry they can’t lose weight. I never said I have not had issues caused by the band but I knew the risks and chose the band. I’m not the one crying. You sound very negative in general, sorry life is not working for you but people come here for advice not to to be damned. I have had two surgeries and will have another very soon. It is what it is. Sorry for your troubles and statistics are about 27% have complications

Tamie
256/150

On 2017-11-23 at 4:02 PM, Tamie said:

Oh you did not read who many cheat the band and cry they can’t lose weight. I never said I have not had issues caused by the band but I knew the risks and chose the band. I’m not the one crying. You sound very negative in general, sorry life is not working for you but people come here for advice not to to be damned. I have had two surgeries and will have another very soon. It is what it is. Sorry for your troubles and statistics are about 27% have complications

Tamie
256/150

Actually, things are great for me. I’m thrilled with my revision to a bypass. People come here for advice and mine is to not get a band and if you have one that is giving you problems, don’t stick your head in the he sand and ignore it, get it out before it causes permanent damage.

There is life after a band...and it’s is infinitely better without it.