Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Desperate Last-Minute Food Choice?

If you are like most weight loss surgery patients, you plan your food. A lot. You try to know what you will be eating in the next few days, especially when things are pretty routine. Even if you do not formally log your food or write down menus, you probably spend a lot of time thinking about food, and have a good idea of what you’ll be eating in a day.

…Except when something goes wrong. There is always that time when you need to stay late at work, or you need to run out the door to pick up a child and you forget to bring your snack, or you are so gung-ho about your workout that you bring your Water and running shoes, but not your Protein Shake.< /p>

What do you do?

Share the last time you found yourself in a bind and needed to come up with a meal or snack when you did not have many options around. Set the scene: did you get hooked into a last-minute business luncheon at a restaurant? Were you trapped into watching your child and some of her friends at another child’s pizza birthday party?

How did you handle the situation? Did you nibble on whatever was available? Did you delay the meal or snack until you got home? Were you able to dash into a grocery store to pick up some string cheese or a Protein Bar?

What is your plan for these types of situations?

Was out and about, ran into an old friend. He asked for me to come over for dinner, meet his current family. When I got there, it was nothing but unhealthy foods. Foods I was addicted to before the band. Still am but I stay away from it. Cakes, Cookies, loads of fried breaded fish, chips with dips. I didn't leave but I did remove the breading from the fish, and did what I can. He asked why I was doing that. I told him it all looked delicious, he had become quite a cook but my doctor told me to stay on a strict diet or my health will deteriorate. I am not a strict dieter, I am a moderation person with almost every food, but not with anything sweet because of my past addiction to them.

I keep one once beef Jerky packs in my purse, and I use a baby formula dispenser to carry Protein powder just in case.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

It happened to me tonight and I thought i was very planful. Since having RNY 2 years ago I get episodes of reactive hypoglycemia. Today I had my normal Breakfast which was a Protein shake and knowing I would be going to my granddaughter's volleyball game decided to eat my lunch later than normal.

I ended up having lunch at 2:30pm - I had a lunch that had great Protein and veggies but also had more than normal carbs as it was a ground beef pasty. Then about 2 hours later I had a handful of almonds.

I knew her game started at 6:30 and would like run until 8:30 but honestly thought i would be fine until then.

Well, while on the way to the game I started to have the very low sugar crash and when it hits me, it hits me fast and it gets pretty scary. I start shaking, Sweating and getting very confused. I have learned the early signs (which come usually about 5 minutes before i end up in big trouble).

Like an idiot, I did not bring anything with me. No glucose, no meter nothing.....So I looked at hubby who thankfully was driving and said you need to find either a walgreens or a gas station and find it fast.

Well, we were in hicksville, USA and so the only thing we could find nearby was a gas station. I knew I needed some sugar but not alot and then i needed something with protein which would keep it from coming right back in an hour. So, I grabbed some dark chocolate and a Protein Bar. I ate 4 small squares of chocolate and then followed up with about 1/3 of the protein bar.

Within 10 minutes I was fine and was able to hold off for a very late dinner at Stir Crazy where I had delicious chicken breast and veggie stir fry from Their fresh market bar.

I really really need to be more careful with this! And going forward, a ground beef pasty clearly had more carbs than i even realized or it would not have happened to me.

UGH!

There is nothing I don't eat, in proper portions, so I would never be a "desperate" food situation. The only time I feel a little strained is when I leave the house without something to drink. I'm way more obsessed with fluids than food.