Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair loss 1 year out

Patience patience. Do not be defensive. I never tell anyone they are full of crap. Ever ever ever. I am too old for that nonsense. Relax, do not take anything so personal. I am 70 years old but don't spend my time in the pea patch like my Grandma did. I am funny, crazy, helpful, sad, loving, and not your enemy.

@@katie09/21/2016

I've seen hundreds of posts from people (including me) who have eaten all their Protein, taken Biotin, Zinc, Omega 3, stood on their heads and did a rain dance, and NONE of it prevented hair loss. So a surgeon patting someone on the head and telling them to just eat their Protein and take their Vitamins and they won't lose any hair IS FULL OF CRAP. Believe it or not, they don't know everything. Most of the time they know NOTHING about what happens to us after they operate. I mean, just the fact that none of them even mention the 3 week stall tells me that. If they spent the hours and hours on these forums like a lot of us do here, they might actually learn a thing or two, lol.

I'm no "warrior", I'm no "expert" and I definitely have NOTHING in common with a certain member linked with me up there. :D

I can only speak on MY experience. I've lost hair' with every rapid weight loss diet I've gone on from Atkins to WWs to my sleeve. Once I incorporate fat back into my diet, the hair' loss (and nail breakage) slows.

High protein', high fat does much more to slow hair' loss IN MY OPINION than any supplement.

But again, that is just MY opinion.

Hair' loss seems to hit 99% of us, but that is also just my opinion based on what I've read here.

There are so many true experts here, please trust.

The Hair loss sucks that's for sure....but losing 106 lbs does not!! [emoji12][emoji106]. It's all part of the process...I started using Nioxin Shampoo and conditioner and the shedding has greatly diminished.....was it the product or just a coincidence?? Who knows, but I'm glad it has slowed down [emoji16]

Since I haven't had any Hair loss yet, I will absolutley continue to listen to my surgeon vs. people on this site who seem to want to stroke their ego that they know more than an educated friggen surgeon. Absolutely ridiculous!

I don't think anyone is telling you NOT to listen to your surgeon. I'm 10 months out and at goal weight. I think medically it is important to listen to your surgeon and Nut but most of us that have lost a lot of weight know that our surgeons tell us what we want to hear when it comes to hair loss. I started with a thick head of hair, got all my Protein in, took all my Vitamins and still lost about half my hair. Our doctors MUST know that no matter what we do, Hair loss is part of the process for most. I think maybe your upset is coming more from the fear of the possibility of losing your hair. Unfortunately, no matter what you do, you will probably lose some. I was devastated at the amount of hair that came out of my head daily. Seriously like someone who was going through chemo. Fortunately I had enough hair that it never seemed to be noticeable to anyone but me. The good news is, that the loss stopped at about 9 months and I have little sprouts of new growth coming out everywhere. My dermatologist (who really is more knowledgeable about skin,nails,hair than my surgeon) told me that no amount of Protein would have stopped the hair loss. His feeling is that mine has stopped falling out and started regrowing because my drastic weight loss has slowed. Best of luck to all

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

On 10/2/2016 at 10:47 AM, CSouth said:

My dermatologist just gave me Nutrafol. I may be crazy but in less than a week it seems like I am not shedding as much.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Are you still taking it? Has Nutrafol helped? Nutrafol has Saw Palmetto in it which was on the list of medications to avoid before surgery since I think it can cause bleeding like Advil and Aspirin. Please let me know, thanks!