Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair loss 1 year out

@@Babbs So you've tried taking Biotin, Zinc and Omega 3 and it didn't work??? I will have to let my surgeon know that he's full of shit bc this woman on BP is a hair loss expert.

I am a year out and have lost 71% of my excess weight so far and had no more shedding then I did pre op. I have taken Biotin since before surgery and made sure to meet 60+ grams of Protein per day as per my nut recommendations.

I think everyone is just different and everyone's bodies are going to react differently to the trauma of major surgery and recovery.

Edited by reree6898

@@Babbs So you've tried taking Biotin, Zinc and Omega 3 and it didn't work??? I will have to let my surgeon know that he's full of **** bc this woman on BP is a hair loss expert.

Yup. Yup. and Yup. And I've also seen literally hundreds of posts from people being on these forums for over 2 and a half years who have also gotten plenty of Protein and took all of their Vitamins and still lost hair. 99% of people lose some. Some more than others. It's really not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. Those things may reduce hair loss a bit, but it certainly won't prevent it.

People lose some hair at around months 3-6 post op, so you may as well get used to the idea. Don't kill the messenger.

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful informative replies, we really appreciate it! just wanted to know if hair ever goes back to its original state.

@@Saeed

I lost about 30% of my hair, but luckily I had pretty thick hair so it was only noticeable to me and my hairdresser. I had lost it off and on for the first year trying to get my Vitamins dialed in just right. Now at almost 26 months post op, I'd say it was back to it's original thickness and texture it was before.

@@Babbs So you've tried taking Biotin, Zinc and Omega 3 and it didn't work??? I will have to let my surgeon know that he's full of **** bc this woman on BP is a hair loss expert.

I would say he is full of crap because doctors are pretty universally against you adding zinc as a supplement unless you need it.

So if he said if you have Hair loss, come in, we will do a blood panel and check if you have any nutritional deficiencies, that would make sense.

We are supposed to have our blood work checked anyway but adding supplements without a need can be harmful. Not to mention you can't take zinc and Iron together, so you have to work a schedule out for taking them.

I'm probably going to get strung up and whipped for this comment but I'm going to risk life & limb here regardless....

I have a lot of respect for the veteran weightloss folk. You guys are very inspiring & some of you have been beyond helpful. I like seeing the banter & joking and I am in no way easy offended by anything.

What I don't like and I don't respect is the way some people just cut others to pieces in such a disrespectful way. It's one thing to advise bluntly that eating a taco or a pork chop is a bad idea (*tacogate*) - that's fair.

It's really not necessary tell someone that their doctor or surgeon or whatever is full of crap when sharing information on this public forum - perhaps those things that didn't work for you might work for someone else? It's really sh*tty to see people treating other people like that. I've had enough of that as a fat person.

So, letting the whipping begin....

Sent from my iPod touch using the BariatricPal App

I'm probably going to get strung up and whipped for this comment but I'm going to risk life & limb here regardless....

I have a lot of respect for the veteran weightloss folk. You guys are very inspiring & some of you have been beyond helpful. I like seeing the banter & joking and I am in no way easy offended by anything.

What I don't like and I don't respect is the way some people just cut others to pieces in such a disrespectful way. It's one thing to advise bluntly that eating a taco or a pork chop is a bad idea (*tacogate*) - that's fair.

It's really not necessary tell someone that their doctor or surgeon or whatever is full of crap when sharing information on this public forum - perhaps those things that didn't work for you might work for someone else? It's really sh*tty to see people treating other people like that. I've had enough of that as a fat person.

You joined one month ago. This is a COMMUNITY of HELP. Maybe we get snarky trying to save lives with people here and sending them to ER visits. YOu tell me one other place you can go for help. NOWHERE. I can barely reach my surgeons nurse in the past three years. I know when to go to the ER. I am older and have pushed past the BS with my surgeon, but a 20 year old does not have my experience. Disrepctful is NOT OUR AGENDA. We are leaders, not nurseries for infants. Give me. Break, I am so offended.

You joined one month ago. This is a COMMUNITY of HELP. Maybe we get snarky trying to save lives with people here and sending them to ER visits. YOu tell me one other place you can go for help. NOWHERE. I can barely reach my surgeons nurse in the past three years. I know when to go to the ER. I am older and have pushed past the BS with my surgeon, but a 20 year old does not have my experience. Disrepctful is NOT OUR AGENDA. We are leaders, not nurseries for infants. Give me. Break, I am so offended.

Saving lives by telling people their doctors/surgeons are "full of crap" over Vitamins for hair loss?? Ummmm no.

You can try and put me in my place with your "I am a leader" speech but the leaders and people I respect in here don't rip people apart for sharing their experience or surgeons advice. I'm not going to let you steamroll me because I pointed out something that is basically a sh*t move and being rude for no reason.

Yes, I only joined the community a month ago and I'm still earning my stripes I guess, but just because you are older and have more time in here doesn't give you a free pass to be rude to someone who is sharing information. ITS NOT HELPFUL.

But please, let move aside and you continue "saving lives" with your snarkiness. PEACE

@@LipstickLady, @@Bufflehead, @@Valentina, @@Babbs, we are warriors when it comes to helping others. Sometimes the fight and struggle is real. I am here to guide others through my scary journey.

Yep. The fight and struggle is real - I am living that. That's why it's unhelpful to see people cutting into others for no reason. I see repeat offenders and I realize I'm probably going to get lynched off the forums just because I spoke up about something I think is distasteful (HOW DARE I!).

I Have tons of respect for some of the "warrior" names listed: I see strength and humility in those people & I enjoy reading their posts. I get so fed up with the people who just are nasty for the sake of being nasty.

There are elements on the forums are proving to be a reflection of society: it's a "shut up you fat b*tch, be seen and not heard while us thinner and wiser souls have the floor and dictate the terms". That's what this is coming across to me as.

I'm bracing for the attack now - all because I pointed out it's not helpful to tell someone their surgeon is "full of crap".

Maybe I can come back when I'm thinner and I will be "allowed" to speak up?

Scary journey indeed.

Dearest Katie, there is no war here or need to attack. Step back and realize I can be your grandmother, aunt, or Mother. I feel really bad that you think people are here to attack you but I assure you it is not true. Please embrace the knowledge, leadership, guidance, and love here. It is priceless. Please relax and learn. Big hug. Linda Davis

I'm not here to fight either. I'm like the least confrontational person you will ever meet! And I don't think people are here to attack me - I am not paranoid & I don't need prayers for my wayward soul...I'm simply pointing out how some of the attitudes can come across and how this in turn is NOT helpful to anyone.

If my grandmother, mother or aunt spoke in terms of telling people they are full of crap just for the sake of it I would sound them out too. I am a mother too & I'm probably not as young as you think (33). But I get what you are saying here.

It's ok for the leaders to make mistakes - and its ok to be humble and say "yeah ok, that was a pretty poor move" or "I get where you are coming from". I witnessed a perfect example of this on another post today with one of your named warriors & I have much respect for this person and I learnt something from it.

I think your posts add a lot to the forums & my original bee in the bonnet wasn't really directed at you.

So I am not sure if we can see eye to eye on this, or if it's agree to disagree - either way your hug is much appreciated and well received - thankyou