Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keep Us Motivated - What Can You Do Now That You Couldn't Do Before?

Help keep us "newbies" motivated as we navigate through all of the pre-op requirements. What can you do now that you couldn't do before?

Walk all day at the zoo, amusement park, beach etc. without numbness and tingling in my legs or the bottoms of my feet feeling like they're on fire. Work in my yard and flower beds without having to take ibuprofen due to knee pain. Play on the floor with my grandbabies and get up without assistance or having to brace myself. Comfortably fit in airplane seats or booths at restaurants. Wear underwire or strapless bras. Go shopping at any store and know I'll find something in my size ( this is a blessing and a curse lol). Buy boots at the store instead of ordering online because I need extra wide calf.

Sent from my XT1565 using the BariatricPal App

I know I probably could've done this before surgery but I felt too big to ride a bike! I thought everyone would look at me... But now I go out with my kids and it's fun and I don't feel self conscious at all! And shopping has been great! I now have to choose what I want instead of what just looks ok and will do... I try not to buy too many clothes since I'm not at goal yet! There's many more health related ones also. I just feel better about myself and I know it shows, I've noticed I'm approached more often, and I think it's because of feeling so much better about myself and people can see I'm happier! Lol

post-261380-14752506981923_thumb.jpg

I'm not a DS patient, but for this type question, doesn't really matter which surgery we've had. I just did my 5th triathlon of the year and have a bigger one next weekend. I couldn't even run an entire 5k this spring without walking, now planning on doing a couple half marathons this fall. I'm still a month away from being 1 year post op! My advice, exercise hard and exercise often! Makes all the difference in the world!

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

right at this very moment I am sitting in my office chair with my legs crossed under me. I could do that on the floor before surgery - but not in my chair.

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1474249111022.jpg

I'm not a DS patient, but for this type question, doesn't really matter which surgery we've had. I just did my 5th triathlon of the year and have a bigger one next weekend. I couldn't even run an entire 5k this spring without walking, now planning on doing a couple half marathons this fall. I'm still a month away from being 1 year post op! My advice, exercise hard and exercise often! Makes all the difference in the world!

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

Great job, man.

Powerfully inspiring !!!!!

Walk for several miles. It used to be that 5-10 minutes & I was in excruciating pain in my sacroiliac joint.

Back to square dancing. Again, had had to give it up because of the sacroiliac pain.

Rode a zip line.

Move the seat up in the car & not have the steering wheel rub.

Not have to make all of my clothes. I can actually buy off the rack.

Haven't flown in an airplane since I've lost weight, but I know that will be so much better.

Band to sleeve here.

Sitting comfortably in an airplane seat and have lots of wiggle room, even sit criss-cross applesauce style on the long flights. :D I remember spilling over and the seat belt was all the way to the end. I always felt I had to sit by family so I wouldn't feel like I was imposing on someone's space. :(

Band to sleeve here.

Sitting comfortably in an airplane seat and have lots of wiggle room, even sit criss-cross applesauce style on the long flights. :D I remember spilling over and the seat belt was all the way to the end. I always felt I had to sit by family so I wouldn't feel like I was imposing on someone's space. :(

Me too, if we were in a 3 seat row I'd make my hubby sit next to the other person. I was paranoid about ending up the subject of someone's viral social media rant!

Sent from my XT1565 using the BariatricPal App

What can't I do is probably the better question ;)?

I have boundless energy. My mother movd this August. I moved this September. The movers commented on how I just never stopped lifting, carrying, etc. The packing of her house alone took the better part of a year. I NEVER could have done any of that before.

Edited by Postop

Like many others here, I'm greatly enjoying being able to comfortably cross my legs, sit with my legs bent underneath me without them falling asleep/hurting, etc. Also, with all the new space and flexibility comes new positions in the bedroom (you know we're all thinking/wondering about it! :P) so that's been a blast! Sitting in booths at restaurants. Never having to worry if the seatbelt won't fit whenever I ride in a different car. I can go up four flights of stairs without feeling like I'm dying afterwards. Fitting into all the rides at an amusement park (did that for the first time in over a decade last month... it was incredible). Being able to wrap average-sized towels completely around myself. Knowing I could walk into most stores and find something that fits me.

The list goes on and on and on... :D

Help keep us "newbies" motivated as we navigate through all of the pre-op requirements. What can you do now that you couldn't do before?

You've read about some of the physical things people can do that they couldn't before. Let me tell you about the other stuff. How about being able to look people in the eye knowing there is nothing they can comment on or make a face at that they might have before. How about feeling comfortable enough to talk to people, or go on a date, or assert yourself, or apply for a job you may not have before. How about feeling normal or even good about how you look. How about not worrying about what others are thinking, how about seeing something in the window of a store and knowing you can go in there and try it on. How about just the fact that you are even in the mindset to be looking at all at something in the window because you want to be noticed...and not for the wrong reason.

Shall I go on? Yes...the physical stuff is wonderful. I'd be one to know as I once was unable to walk more than a few steps before having to sit again. But along with being able to move better, or fit somewhere better...how about feeling like you fit into this world and not just into a seat.

I feel blessed every day since having my surgery because I checked out of life for a long time and am doing everything I want and hope that I can make up for the years I just existed.

Hope that's enough motivation for the newbies. If not, I have a list a mile long. Welcome to the forum! :)

I can go into ANY store and BUY what I want and not feel self-concioius or look like a stuffed sausage!!!! Shocking people who haven't seen me in years. Many don't believe I am who I am until I show them a picture.

Part of my job is to ride with state troopers, I can now fit in the passenger seat behind the computer. They don't have to "take their car apart" just to have me ride.

Sit in a booth at a restaurant.

Play with my nieces and nephews.

Jog.

Go up several flights of stairs.

Walk around the mall.

Get in and out of the car easier.

Not worry about the weight limit of everything.

Fit into clothing I've never been able to wear.

Play racquetball.

Go hiking.

Go swimming.

I could go on and on. :)