Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Upcycling Ideas

I don't know about you, but after WLS I go through an awful lot of yogurt cups, Water bottles, and even have empty tubs of Protein Powder on occasion.

What are some creative ways you have upcycled after surgery?

Have you upcycled clothes or other things you no longer need now that you are losing weight?

Have you found new uses for old things?

I would love to hear your ideas and even see pictures!

The Protein powder plastics are great for things in the garage. Instead of individual Water bottles, I have 2 Brita water pitchers and use a refillable water bottle with a regular sipping top, we've always given our clothes to big brother-big sister. They take all sizes, all ages, and they come to the house to pick them up.

I can't remember where I saw it (probably eggface's blog) and I haven't done it yet but it's on my list. Someone took empty Protein tubs and the fancy tape (think patterned duck tape) and wrapped the tape around the tub. Then uses it to store craft supplies, desk items like paperclips etc.

This one I know was on eggface's blog, she had a lot of jeans with fancy embroidered bottoms of the legs. When the jeans got too big, she cut the embroidered bits off the legs, stitched them up with a zipper and made little pouches that can be used as wallets, makeup bags etc.

if you garden, you can use the empty yogurt cups to start your seedlings indoors rather than buying seed flats. another garden idea - if you eat a lot of eggs, save the shells and add them to your garden. As they decompose they add Calcium to the soil and if you have a slug problem, put a ring of eggshells around your plants. The slugs won't crawl across them because the sharp edges hurt.

I've heard of things that people do with clothing, but none of them are weight-loss people.

Make a patchwork quilt. Someone's mother had kept the daughter's things since infancy, including a cloth diaper or two. The mother made a quilt from pieces, working outward a piece of diaper at the center. She presented the quilt to the daughter when she married. (A little sappy, even creepy, for my taste, but that's irrelevant here.)

Make throw pillows. Sweaters included.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch