Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does EVERYONE have saggy skin?

I'm just starting my journey and trying to read as many horror stories as possible (maybe that's bad, but I KNOW the positives; it's the negatives I'm trying to wrap my mind around!) like understanding how hard the pre-op and post-op diets are... but if I can't do that then I can't make the change necessary to live with the sleeve, right? Because it's not like you go back to eating "normally" (normal for an overweight person I guess I should say...), right?

My new fear is the loose skin after the weight loss is complete. I'm not against having cosmetic surgery on one spot, but am I really going to have saggy thighs, saggy arms and a saggy belly??!! I'm 5' 4" and 228 lbs.

Thanks everyone; just a little scared!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

oh. it is going to depend on age, where the weight is, genetics.......... but I will tell you - I am a lot happier with saggy skin than with full of fat skin - I'm about half way done loosing the weight, no thoughts on whether or not I will pursue plastics.

I do understand how the major changes can be a bit daunting though - from my perspective 7 months post op it is *all* worth it.

I guess you're right. I'm 37, so I don't know if that's old or young for this surgery. And I know me; I'll try every cream and scrub that claims to help... ugh. I want to lose this weight, so I guess what does it matter if there's loose skin? Which do I hate more?!

I'm 40 and had surgery 1/14/16. I'm 5'2" , my HW was 242, SW 225 CW ~148. I have bat wings ( but not too bad, still wear sleeveless shirts), a little bit of saggy skin on thighs and stomach. Saggiest body part are my boobs, but a push up bra takes care of that lol Here's a bikini pic from when I was 6 months out ( nothing more recent) post-267276-14751803482451_thumb.jpg

Sent from my XT1565 using the BariatricPal App

I guess you're right. I'm 37, so I don't know if that's old or young for this surgery. And I know me; I'll try every cream and scrub that claims to help... ugh. I want to lose this weight, so I guess what does it matter if there's loose skin? Which do I hate more?!

Go to YouTube and search for saggy skin post weight loss. People call them "skin flicks". They strip down to their undies and show it all.

I think it is safe to say yes, you will have saggy skin. It depends on where you carry your weight but let's face it, most obese people have big tummies. So we will end up with saggy skin there. Arms and legs are a little easier because you can work out and build muscle to fill in the saggy skin a little.

I have had 4 huge babies. The chances of me ever wearing a bikini again, or even short shorts, is zero anyway.

This isn't just about the way we look, obesity is unhealthy.

I was 47 and 235 when I had surgery. I lost slowly but steadily. Took me a year to get to 150, and another several months to lose about 7 more. I started cardio along with resistance/strength training at around 6 months out, and have been exercising consistently ever since. It helps a little in my opinion, at least the areas that aren't completely gone, lol. No amount of exercise will help with my panni area, only surgery. I've got a bit on my inner thighs, but my arms and legs look pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised. Like I always say, not bad for an old broad lol.

post-212472-0-30478700-1475181825_thumb.jpg

I'm 37 too and still pre-op. I carry a lot of weight in my tummy, butt and thighs and have been concerned about this. I've been watching videos and it makes me sad all the excess skin being fat makes me sadder. I am ready to shed this weight and if it means I'm dealing with excess skin I have to tuck and hide until I finish putting my 4 kids through college (my youngest is 3) that is better than being a hermit and letting my weight dictate my life.

My hubby and I are going through this together and he is all belly. He has slim and muscular arms and thighs already. He just says he looks like he is pregnant with twins.

I was 47 and 235 when I had surgery. I lost slowly but steadily. Took me a year to get to 150, and another several months to lose about 7 more. I started cardio along with resistance/strength training at around 6 months out, and have been exercising consistently ever since. It helps a little in my opinion, at least the areas that aren't completely gone, lol. No amount of exercise will help with my panni area, only surgery. I've got a bit on my inner thighs, but my arms and legs look pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised. Like I always say, not bad for an old broad lol.

You look great Babbs! I had to chuck a little at your post because I tell everyone that I don't want to be a little old lady, they're boring as hell, I plan on being an old broad. And proud of it!

Yes, you look GREAT Babbs. You give me hope!! Lol

I'm 40 and had surgery 1/14/16. I'm 5'2" , my HW was 242, SW 225 CW ~148. I have bat wings ( but not too bad, still wear sleeveless shirts), a little bit of saggy skin on thighs and stomach. Saggiest body part are my boobs, but a push up bra takes care of that lol Here's a bikini pic from when I was 6 months out ( nothing more recent) attachicon.gif IMG_20160715_075231822.jpg

Sent from my XT1565 using the BariatricPal App

Wow! So there's hope for me... thank you for your response. I'm just so scared that I'm going to look at myself down the road and think "what have I done???" But I don't think I will.

I am the oldest here, yet I am very vain about my body, my hair, my clothes. I don't have that much saggy skin, but I do know how to camouflage. I know if I lose much more it will go further South, but I don't care. I am so happy to be able to walk without gasping with asthma, to not live to eat, and to have better health with my husband. I have a keen eye for clothes and I dress to look great!

I think exercise helped a lot with me having minimal sagging skin. I started walking the indoor track 2 weeks post op and started walking/jogging at about a month out. By 6 weeks out I was doing spin class twice a week and C25K three mornings a week. I don't do C25K to complete it, I just have found that I work out better when someone tells me when to walk and when to run. So I worked myself up to week 6 and just keep repeating it over and over again. I might eventually complete it one day :)

@@Babbs you look awesome!

so at 5'5 43 years old and 240...I'll have loose skin I won't be able to get rid of?

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Probably. That's what Spanx and surgery is for if need be ;)