Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery or no surgery?

I am new to this board, and I'm at a point that I can't do this anymore.

I've been overweight most of my adult life, I've lost weight only to gain it back.

I am not living the life I want to live..so I am here to learn and see what options there are.

Thanks,,,

@@southernsass Welcome! The best thing you can do is contact your insurance plan to determine if you have coverage for weight loss surgery and what the requirements are. Find a Center of Excellence in your area and call them to find out what steps you have to take - usually they have a seminar to learn about the different surgeries, etc. You will then have an idea of how to start your journey to weight loss surgery!

Good luck!

Welcome!

I am relatively new to this board too but am learning something new every time I log on. Very supportive group so ask away and do some searches to see if the topic has been covered recently.

Right there with ya. I am taking the classes, etc... 1st yesterday. Learning as much as I can so I can mentally prepare such a drastic life change but I'm ready to take control & regain healthy lifestyle & all this extra baggage j carry.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm over 13 months post-RNY. I'm down almost 200 from surgery and over 250 overall from my highest. I'm perfectly healthy, and happily living my life in a way I thought was never going to be possible. I would do it all again a million times over! Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with. This place is a wonderful resource for everyone at every stage of the process. Best of luck! :)

I agree with the others. The first step is contacting your insurance company and ask them what bariatric centers of excellence they recommend. Then you will know where to start.

Researching your options through them will be your best bet. There is a ton of information on this board as well.

Thank you everyone for your comments, I just don't know if I'm ready to admit to myself that I need to do this,(you'd think being at 300 pounds for the second time in my life would be enough huh?)

I just don't know if I'm ready. if y'all don't mind I'll just lurk around the boards for awhile until I can figure this out!

Thanks again y'all are great!

The forum is great.....but.......maybe a little too impersonal and generic to get properly motivated.

After you do some basic research.....Find a Surgeon's or local Hospital's Bariatric seminar and GO TO IT> Put the date and time in your phone.......set aside the time and GO!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't procrastinate or make excuses.....GO. Once you do, it will get real and personal. You will finally have taken a step to actually change things. They will give you steps to proceed and one by one you will check them off making it more and more a reality. What may start as only an occasional thought in passing will quickly become a totally new life.

But you have to GO. Don't put it off. Don't do it later or the next time. Do it NOW. ;)

I am one week post-op and I wavered about the surgery for about 6 months. I finally hit an all-time low and said, I can't do this anymore. This was weight has taken over my entire life. I went to a seminar and that sealed the deal! It helped me be ready. Don't get me wrong it is a difficult decision as all with major life decisions. Make a list of all the ways your weight has impacted your life and all the things you can't do because of the weight, that helped me. Now, I have made a list of all the things I want to be able to do once the weight is off and then I will put the date achieved. So, when I have a weak day or become frustrated and want a snickers bar I can pull it out to remind myself of where I have come. Just my two cents...

Thank you everyone for your comments, I just don't know if I'm ready to admit to myself that I need to do this,(you'd think being at 300 pounds for the second time in my life would be enough huh?)

I just don't know if I'm ready. if y'all don't mind I'll just lurk around the boards for awhile until I can figure this out!

Thanks again y'all are great!

My surgery is in 5 days. My grandma asked me if i was excited. I am not excited in the strictest defininition. I dont want to do the surgery, I NEED to do it.

If i could lose the weight without it, I would not do the surgery. But I cant. Fifteen years of yo-yo dieting, getting heavier with every regain says I cant do it alone. 8 years of edema, 4 years of diabetes and 2 years of tendonitis that wont heal because i keep reinjuring my elbows pushing myself out of a chair says I cant.

I am tired of "I cants." I am ready for "i cans".

Are you tired of "i cants"?

I've gone to 3 seminars. I suggest trying out more than 1. All are similar but of course different presenters give different little things that may make you have a change in thought. I'm having second thoughts and my bmi is at 49. I have had general anesthesia used on me 3 times in less than a year so that concerns me and also not feeling too secure about my mental state at this point in my life since there is alot of tension in my Marriage.

Good luck to you.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

My first step was to contact my insurance company and ask if the surgery was covered. They gave me with reading material saying what the requirements were and I read that from front to back, asking questions along the way. Then I called a local hospital and made an appointment for a consolation with a surgeon. This takes time, you won't get the consult appointment for a few weeks.

After the consult, I was given a list of things I needed to do in order to submit to my insurance company. I had to make nutritional appointments, I had to have 6 months of a structured diet, I had to make a psych appointment, I had to go to a support group meeting, and I had to be cleared by my cardiologist. I started to work on these requirements immediately and found that the best appointments I could get for the nutritional and the psych was 2 months away. But I was lucky - my insurance would accept my attempt with weight watchers as my structured diet for 6 months.

You will also need to see your primary care doctor for blood work. My cardiologist also wanted a stress test. I felt like I was jumping through hoops, but it was so worth it. Surgery date finally came.

"I am tired of "I cants." I am ready for "i cans".

Are you tired of "i cants"?"

Yeah so there, ok I'll talk my insurance company and then my Dr. then we'll go from there..

the greatest thing to fear is fear its self right?

Y'all rock!

Edited by southernsass

Ive had gastric bypass on may 10th. I have been stalkong these boards for a year. The one comment I about regrets that I have read is "I'm XX years old and I wish I did this years ago."

Never read "I wish I waited another 5yrs or 10yrs. Ever.

Count me in to wishing I did this 10 or 20yrs ago. I'm 40. Could I lose weight on my own? You betcha. Could I keep it off. Nope. Yoyo weight is truly not good for your body.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

One of the women who works for my surgeon's office told me that some patients have gone so far as to jump thru all the hoops, attend the required group meetings, testing and everything else, only to back out at last minute for one reason or another, then come back later, have to start the process from square one, and inevitably tell her that they wish they'd done it the first time.

Ultimately, you need to ask yourself what is truly best for you; make a pros/cons list if that helps you.

My fears were surgery itself (I'd never had any in my 47 years), & the thought of never being able to eat the foods I liked again ( my husband used to be a chef, we love the TASTE of great food!) But I learned that eventually, I'll still be able to enjoy the taste of those foods, just that I will now be doing just that: tasting it, focusing on my Proteins & healthier choices for me and my family.

I have co-morbidities slowly advancing me to an early grave, and I used to be such a healthy, active person who truly enjoyed life and the outdoors; hiking, white Water rafting, x country skiing, etc. & I lost sight of that girl about 5 -6 years ago and I want her back.

I finally realized that getting my VSG would be an amazing tool to help me get where I need to be. I have follow my surgeon's plan to the letter, am approaching my 2 week surgi-versary, and I feel great (despite still being on liquids til next next week).

Bottom line: you have to do what's right for you. I'm sure WLS isn't for everyone. ...you have to be committed, follow the rules, get active, and keep your eye on the prize. (For me: my health & longevity, and those cute jeans in my closet that I WILL wear again someday!)

I'm afraid this turned into a bit of a novella, but I am so happy with my choices, and I want to be able to share my experience with others who may be thinking whether or not this big step is right for them. Thanks for reading & have a blessed day! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App