Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the skinny on coffee?

I had to quit caffeine 2 months prior to surgery. Kaiser in So Cal (including my surgeon), say that caffeine can trigger the hunger hormone and ulcers, so it's not recommended at all. Not having my coffee, was the toughest part before and after surgery but I'm going to follow their recommendation because I don't want to cause myself ulcers or hunger.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had to go off caffeine 8 weeks pre-op was allowed Decaf 2 weeks post op; full caffeine at 8 weeks post-op.

I was instructed back coffee or tea only the week before surgery. Dehydration was given as the main reason, and then was told in the hospital that because we will be starting over with discovering what our new tummies will tolerate it was best to avoid. I have had zero issues getting my liquids, so at about a week out I had a half coffee, half hot Water. no issues. As I upped my Water intake, I allowed myself less hot water more coffee. Dr said it was an excellent way to judge tolerance, and as soon As i was cleared for full liquid diet at ten days out, I am back to my regular coffee with two Creamers. Not the low fat crap as it is sugar heavy.

I was sleeved last March and was never able to give up coffee ☕️ maybe that's why my weight has come off so slow. But I think my Puerto Rican mama breast fed me coffee because if I stop taking it I get horrible headaches [emoji19]

I gave up caffeine when I started the pre-surgery process. I slee p much better now, and have more energy and better concentration than when I was "caffeinated."

You should probably clarify what you mean by "coffee" as well. I know some people who claim to drink "coffee" but really are drinking "coffee-flavored milkshakes" with more calories than a fist full of Big Macs.

Edited by Fredbear

In my program, they wanted me off coffee for the immediate post-op period because of it's acidity. Once I was off Clear liquids, I was able to try it again. I waited until I was about 4 weeks out just because of my previous experiences with my stomach...it can be a little sensitive. I've had 1-2 cups daily since then, with no issues. Caveat: I took my last Protonix last night (PPI), so we'll see how I do without the acid inhibitor./

Were you instructed to stay off coffe pre-op as well? I've already given up everything else, so having to not have morning coffee is cruel, lol
Yes, it was recommended by my program that we ween off coffee preop too.

@@The New Kel,

It looks like you’ve gotten quite a bit of help here! coffee is off limits not just because of the caffeine, but also because of the acid in coffee (regular or decaf). Just after surgery, the acid can irritate your surgery wounds. Later, it can cause heartburn.

As you can see from this thread, there is quite a range in what you can expect over time with your tolerance of coffee. Some WLS patients can work coffee back into their daily routines without trouble. Others have some heartburn, but are able to manage it with meds and also with strategies such as drinking less and making sure to have it long before bedtime and not before exercising. Also, different surgeons have different recommendations.

@@The New Kel,

It looks like you’ve gotten quite a bit of help here! coffee is off limits not just because of the caffeine, but also because of the acid in coffee (regular or decaf). Just after surgery, the acid can irritate your surgery wounds. Later, it can cause heartburn.

As you can see from this thread, there is quite a range in what you can expect over time with your tolerance of coffee. Some WLS patients can work coffee back into their daily routines without trouble. Others have some heartburn, but are able to manage it with meds and also with strategies such as drinking less and making sure to have it long before bedtime and not before exercising. Also, different surgeons have different recommendations.

Thank you for this advice! I also enjoy tea, and many Decaf teas are very soothing. So I may make the switch althogether.

I resumed coffee at 8 weeks out with my surgeon's blessing.

Pretty sure I've not missed a day since. :D

I was back on my morning cup of coffee the week after my surgery. I always start the day with a couple of cups of tea and then I have a large coffee to keep me company on the first part of my morning dog walk. Call me stubborn, stupid-whatever-but I'm now nearly a year sleeved and have had no problems from drinking (full caffeine) coffee or tea whatsoever. I also have my free coffee that I get with my loyalty card every time I go to my fave supermarket.

I might be a rebel in this case but I've not had any problems.

I had a problem with the acidity upsetting my stomach for several months. I drank herbal tea during that time which satisfied my "hot cuppa joe" morning routine. I was gradually able to tolerate coffee and now I drink 40 oz (2 large travel mugs ) pretty much every day. caf in the AM and Decaf in the PM or it keeps me up at night.

I switched back from Decaf to regular coffee at 4 weeks post op.

Note to self: I don't have to take this day all at once but rather one step, one breath and one moment at a time. I am only one person.