Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preteen with growing weight problem

My friends 11 year old daughter has been gaining significant weight over the last year. She has quite a belly on her, very round face, and thighs on her. I am very concerned for her health especially knowing what her future holds if she continues to gain weight. Her mother is a bodybuilder and strict organic vegetarian. Her daughter is very active, swimming and horseback riding and still continues to gain. I am wondering about PC OS or insulin resistance. Diabetes does run in their family, but her pediatrician that barely looked at her and said her blood glucose level was normal. I am wondering if anyone has any insight. At what age did anyone here start to have symptoms of PC OS or insulin resistance?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

All due respect, but what business is it of yours if it's your friends daughter?

All due respect? Uh, because I care about her and WE are trying to get some ideas about what could be the problem. I happen to have access to this resource and was looking for insight from others that might help.

What business of yours is it why I asked. If you don't have anything helpful to add, why comment?

chicken Lady" data-cite="Chicken Lady" data-ipsquote-timestamp="1475046517">

All due respect? Uh, because I care about her and WE are trying to get some ideas about what could be the problem. I happen to have access to this resource and was looking for insight from others that might help.

What business of yours is it why I asked. If you don't have anything helpful to add, why comment?

Let her mother handle the situation. It sounds like she's health conscious, and more than capable of handling the situation since she's already discussed it with the child's pediatrician. If someone came on a message board and was asking for advice about MY daughter's weight "problem", I would have an issue with that.

It's none of your business.

You haven't named anyone, so we would never know who it was and I think its good that you are asking on behalf of a friend, especially here where lots of different advice around weight issues can be asked.

I'd be very happy for you to be a friend :) and she should count herself lucky!

Has her thyroid been checked at all?

It's none of her business :) :) :) :) :) :)

I'm here asking ON BEHALF OF HER MOTHER! (She asked me to help, so I consider that *my business*)

I've had WLS and her mother knows I have this group that might have some HELPFUL insight. Her mother is dissatisfied with the pediatrician blowing it off, while her daughter has continued to gain more and more. We live in a small community where the Drs don't push for answers unless you push them.

@ _Kate_ yes, her thyroid was checked about a year ago. Came back normal.

We were thinking PCOS or insulin resistance but originally thought she might be too young. I was hoping to hear from others here to know if anyone here experienced those at such a young age.

It's none of her business :) :) :) :) :) :)

LOL Babbs, I can see you stomping your feet on the floor with each word.

Now I know why I left for a few months.

chicken Lady" data-cite="Chicken Lady" data-ipsquote-timestamp="1475070042">

I'm here asking ON BEHALF OF HER MOTHER! (She asked me to help, so I consider that *my business*)

I've had WLS and her mother knows I have this group that might have some HELPFUL insight. Her mother is dissatisfied with the pediatrician blowing it off, while her daughter has continued to gain more and more. We live in a small community where the Drs don't push for answers unless you push them.

We were thinking PCOS or insulin resistance but originally thought she might be too young. I was hoping to hear from others here to know if anyone here experienced those at such a young age.

I think it's lovely that you are trying to help your friend. I'm envious - I don't have any friends who are close enough to me or my children to take the time to help with anything.

This may or may not be relevant, but I grew up with parents who had extremely healthy strict eating habits & a very active family (we were at sports every day of the week). To this day, my mom has never even been through a drive thru or never had a sip of soda. Around the time I was maybe 12, I started to resent the strict food routine and I would overeat any junk food I could get my hands on at school through my friends and I started to gain weight quickly because I had never really eaten that sort of food my body just went "wtf?" And I gained weight FAST. My parents had no idea what was going on & I'm close to both of them so this is not resentful.

They were just so strictly healthy they didn't consider for a moment that I would get my hands on rubbish! I went on to develop an eating disorder for the remainder of high school (starving myself) so things kind of swung back the other way.

I'm not in any way offering criticism, I just know that as a tween and then teen who had eating disorders (overeating and then the opposite) we can hide the behavior extremely well from our parents & loved ones. This might be worth considering alongside all the physical and hormonal investigations?

I hope you can all get to the bottom of things. This young lady sounds like she has wonderful support so I am sure you will all figure it out. Goodluck

Sent from my iPod touch using the BariatricPal App

You are being a GREAT FRIEND!! But....I was a Mother who had fought her weight my whole life!! My daughter who is now 36 years old had a weight problem in Jr and thru her High School years. Now when she was around 7 years old mind you all she had ever seen from her mom was one diet after another. Well, she told me in her child-like voice, "Look, mom, I'm skinny down!" This totallyBROKE my heart!! So guess what I did, I never taught her anything about eating healthy or portion control!! WHY you might ask, because I didn't want her to grow up hating herself because she couldn't control her food intake!! I didn't realize until she was grown that she was teased terribly about her weight. I figured she could deal with her weight as she got older. Now hind site I HATE that I didn't help her when she was younger!! She now weighs 270#'s. Has 4 kids ages 15 to 8. Has Diabetes on both sides of her family!! Has no idea how to lose weight healthily. I failed her as a child trying to protect her from the BULL SH** I went thru!! So I really commend you for wanting to help her mom and herself. Try to teach her now about eating the right way and how to eat the right portions. Maybe you can save her from the heartache of obesity. IF ONLY I WOULD HAVE BEEN SMARTER about this junk!!

chicken Lady" data-cite="Chicken Lady" data-ipsquote-timestamp="1475026741">

My friends 11 year old daughter has been gaining significant weight over the last year. She has quite a belly on her, very round face, and thighs on her. I am very concerned for her health especially knowing what her future holds if she continues to gain weight. Her mother is a bodybuilder and strict organic vegetarian. Her daughter is very active, swimming and horseback riding and still continues to gain. I am wondering about PC OS or insulin resistance. Diabetes does run in their family, but her pediatrician that barely looked at her and said her blood glucose level was normal. I am wondering if anyone has any insight. At what age did anyone here start to have symptoms of PC OS or insulin resistance?

In my unprofessional opinion it is more likely puberty than PCOS.

If her mom is a strict vegetarian, it entirely possible her daughter may be malnourished/protein deficient unless she is on top of her nutrition (and most 11 year olds that I know aren't nutrition experts). When my niece was vegetarian she seriously thought she could live on French fries.

Puberty is a very dangerous time for developing eating disorders. Often because of an overreaction to some natural weight gain as our bodies are developing.

I wish I knew the answer. I'll see if I can find a book or other resource.

I think it's lovely that you are trying to help your friend. I'm envious - I don't have any friends who are close enough to me or my children to take the time to help with anything.

This may or may not be relevant, but I grew up with parents who had extremely healthy strict eating habits & a very active family (we were at sports every day of the week). To this day, my mom has never even been through a drive thru or never had a sip of soda. Around the time I was maybe 12, I started to resent the strict food routine and I would overeat any junk food I could get my hands on at school through my friends and I started to gain weight quickly because I had never really eaten that sort of food my body just went "wtf?" And I gained weight FAST. My parents had no idea what was going on & I'm close to both of them so this is not resentful.

They were just so strictly healthy they didn't consider for a moment that I would get my hands on rubbish! I went on to develop an eating disorder for the remainder of high school (starving myself) so things kind of swung back the other way.

I'm not in any way offering criticism, I just know that as a tween and then teen who had eating disorders (overeating and then the opposite) we can hide the behavior extremely well from our parents & loved ones. This might be worth considering alongside all the physical and hormonal investigations?

I hope you can all get to the bottom of things. This young lady sounds like she has wonderful support so I am sure you will all figure it out. Goodluck

THIS!

I have a good friend (raised in Australia but has been in Texas a long time) who was raised by very strict parents, as far as eating goes. They NEVER allowed treats at all. Not even birthday cake. No Christmas Cookies. Nothing.

She tells a hilarious story, that when she was 18 she "bought a box of Lucky Charms and never looked back!"

Now this friend has never had a weight problem at all, she is tall, skinny, and gorgeous. BUT you better believe she did not raise her kids that way. She has 3 boys. She taught them healthy eating but also let them cut loose a little bit.

Kids eat at school, eat at friends' homes, go out for fast food with friends, etc. This girl could very well just be going through a normal pre-puberty growth spurt, or it could be something else????

THIS!

I have a good friend (raised in Australia but has been in Texas a long time) who was raised by very strict parents, as far as eating goes. They NEVER allowed treats at all. Not even birthday cake. No Christmas Cookies. Nothing.

She tells a hilarious story, that when she was 18 she "bought a box of Lucky Charms and never looked back!"

Now this friend has never had a weight problem at all, she is tall, skinny, and gorgeous. BUT you better believe she did not raise her kids that way. She has 3 boys. She taught them healthy eating but also let them cut loose a little bit.

Kids eat at school, eat at friends' homes, go out for fast food with friends, etc. This girl could very well just be going through a normal pre-puberty growth spurt, or it could be something else????

This is so funny because I was raised in Australia too but have lived in Arizona for a long time!!! I have 3 boys also haha and I'm raising them to have a different relationship with food than what I was taught: eat healthy, but cut loose a little.

I love that lucky charms story!! Haha