Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have young kids?

I'm just wondering how you were after surgery looking after your young kids? I have a year old and an 8 year old. Just wondering how exhausted and in pain you were. My Dr said I can pick my 27 lb baby up after survey as well.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

I was told not to lift my son (or anything over a gallon of milk) for 6 weeks. I did not comply, but I never had any pain from picking him up. After a week, if you have no complications, you might be tired, but should be able to do what you need to do.

No young kids thank you God but I could hug them to death. I was in the hospital 8 hours and home, driving in 2 days and walking the mall in 4 days. Taking care of kids is exhausting so if you have good friends and family please call on them for some playtime! I was 66, no pain or nausea, but I could rest a lot unlike you. Just get help so you can rest, have the fridge full of food, or ask family to take them to McDonalds for a treat! Best of luck!

Following this thread. My kids are 4 and 2. I've been told that I won't be able to lift them for 6 weeks (but lap snuggles are ok). :-)

I have a two and four year old. My plan is to have them stay with family for a week. From most of the posts I've read the pain subsides after one week and then you are just tired. My doctor told me that I will not be able to lift either of them for 6 weeks.

Edited by krr343

My son is 2 years old, I am not supposed to lift him atleast for 4 weeks. My mom and my husband have been helping immensely.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

You can always lie on the bed and cuddle him!!!!!!

My kid was a month away from turning 2 when I had surgery. I wasn't supposed to lift him for a month, but I probably started picking him up a little bit around 3 weeks post op. I needed a lot of help the first week, my kid went to daycare all day while my mom or grandma took care of me. The pain meds made me sleepy and loopy. The second week I was a lot more alert but if I let my kid stay around me he just wanted me to hold him and that would involve him trying to lay on my stomach which was no bueno.

I'm just wondering how you were after surgery looking after your young kids? I have a year old and an 8 year old. Just wondering how exhausted and in pain you were. My Dr said I can pick my 27 lb baby up after survey as well.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

I am a stay at home mom of 3 boys - 9,5 and 2 years old (and we homeschool). I had my surgery one week ago today and it's been hard but it's not terrible! we planned and prepped meals and activities in advance so I don't have to do to much other than supervise. It's just been a week of an upside down routine for the kids and me being tired, nauseous and sore.

my house looks awful: dishes and the floors haven't been mopped or vacuumed all week but the kids & I survived.

Sent from my iPod touch using the BariatricPal App

I had a 4 month old I had some help with but I would hold him sitting a few days after. It was a week before I'd carry him. I also have a 5 year old who just knew to stay away for a while... but he's mature and self sufficient so it was a non-issues.

I have an 18 month old and a 6 year old I'm 9 days postop and this was my first morning with the boys without my husband he had to go back to work, my 6 year old is very helpful he got his little brother out of bed while I made Breakfast and then helped me get him dressed, I didn't pick him up all morning, then I had a family member take them to school and daycare since I couldn't load and unload the toddler. My surgeon said that I can't lift over 5 lbs for 2-4 weeks, but I won't see her until the 4th week, so I'm just getting morning transportation for them until then. My husband picks them up after work so we don't have help after school.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

C-section restrictions are similar, and my moose of a son was under three when I had his sister. He was dangerously affectionate and wanted to be held non-stop . So post c-section, I was lucky enough to have family help out while I slept (the grandmas really stepped up, playing, cooking and cleaning while I was down). I also trained my son to crawl up on the couch beside me and kept a basket of board books, little toys, activities, and a few kid Snacks. That way we could spent time together without me overexerting myself. And use that older kid! My seven year old niece came home with me from the hospital for a couple of days, and was amazing with fetching Water, bringing diaper changing materials, and getting prepared food out of the fridge for her and her cousin. That was the first 2+ weeks. But couldn't lift anything heavier than the baby for another month. Fortunately by then my little moose was used to the fact that he just had to walk and could only sit next to me. I also managed to set up a couple of mini-changing stations around the house so I didn't have to lift too much.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I have a 3 year old and a 17 month old. VSG is scheduled for 10/26 and I'm super worried about how I'm going to manage. My husband will be home for the first week but after that I will be on my own. ????

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I have a 3 year old and a 17 month old. VSG is scheduled for 10/26 and I'm super worried about how I'm going to manage. My husband will be home for the first week but after that I will be on my own. ????

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

Can you keep me updated with how it goes for you? I really want to book my apt for January, but I am worries because my husband will only be home for the first week also. I hope your surgery goes well!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using the BariatricPal App

I am now two weeks out from VSG. I have a four year old and a two year old and my wife (we are a two mom family) owns her own business so was only home for a few days. It has gone really well! So much easier than I expected. My littlest one (who still likes to be held a lot) has been great. I just show him the "boo-boo on my belly" and remind him that I can't pick him up.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App