Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been around goal weight plus minus 5-10 lbs for some time. I got my band in 2008. Had issues with dilated pouch/esophagus. They remove my fill liquid for 4 months, I gain weight. They put it back in and it's twice as hard to get back down the 20, 30 lbs. I do it but without some liquid in my band, I'm like an alcoholic but with food. I know this. Food is my weak point, my comforter, my vice. I try not to gain weight during that phase but so far I have lost the battle. I'm at goal weight and now I hear I might have to have liquid removed yet again. I have the opportunity to change to the sleeve. One doctor says do the revision, another says I may go underweight.

What would you do if the band served you so well for many many years?

Edited by dvons

I haven't had the sleeve surgery yet (next month). However, I do recommend you get the sleeve done. It will permanently reduce your stomach size and remove the ghrelin hormone that triggers hunger. When I went to my support group, there were several people there going for lap band revision to sleeve. I wish you the best of luck! I think it's very promising that you know your weaknesses and what works for you.

I am with your DR on this one. You will go under weight. Depends on how long you have the Fluid out and how much you gain. If you have 50 or more pounds to lose I would recommend sleeve revision. But not if you are at goal. I had revision because I gained a lot of weight back with my band after a car accident, but I also never got to goal with my band. Best of Luck!

I'm in between the two other responses hehe. Both are solid advice. To me, IF you get unfilled again (sounds like you have to. I've been there a couple of times /cry) and you put on say 30-40 lbs, go for revision cause you have to let your esophagus and stomach take a 4-6 month break anyway before they do the revision. They won't do a revision when your stomach is abnormal. Once you get your revision, you'll take those 30-40 lbs off and keep it off since you already know how to work with your current WLS.

However, I do understand the worry of going underweight. One thing more scary than being overweight is being underweight. I've seen a few that keeps losing, way past their goal. Frightening to me....

Wow that is a dilemma. Congrats on hitting your goal weight! Great job!!! Its good that you have not developed a false sense of security and know your Achilles tendon. You are right to be concerned and considering your options to maintain at goal... and I understand not wanting to go under goal. I say trust yourself for now give yourself a weight range to maintain on your own and if you're struggling (you'll know if you are) just know that options for revision are on the table if you should decide to go that route.

That's a difficult decision. Having the band removed and the fill port gone was a wonderful feeling of relief. I had a band for 10 years and used it successfully until it failed. I gained weight back. Got very disgusted with myself. My options were to replace the band or convert to sleeve. I chose the sleeve but I wasn't at goal weight. Personally, I think that if you are strong enough to get to goal with the band then you are strong enough to stay at goal. I think that your band will fail someday. That would be a better time to decide. The sleeve surgery is a tough decision. There is no going back.

One other thing that I should mention is if they are removing liquid for a medical reason and not for regular adjustments to assist with appetite control then that would make me choose the sleeve. I think that overtime all of the bands will fail and need replacing and having it removed is a relief. No more port in your stomach area and no feeling of restriction when you swallow food. You won't feel that plugged feeling when you eat. With the sleeve your stomach is soo small that you can't eat very much. The restriction comes from a full stomach feeling that can be very painful. But, after a few months of heeling post surgery, you will be able to eat whatever you want, just a small amount of it.

Thank you all for your input!

That's a difficult decision. Having the band removed and the fill port gone was a wonderful feeling of relief. I had a band for 10 years and used it successfully until it failed. I gained weight back. Got very disgusted with myself. My options were to replace the band or convert to sleeve. I chose the sleeve but I wasn't at goal weight. Personally, I think that if you are strong enough to get to goal with the band then you are strong enough to stay at goal. I think that your band will fail someday. That would be a better time to decide. The sleeve surgery is a tough decision. There is no going back.

I wish I was strong enough on my own but without the liquid in my band. I could eat a horse. I need some restriction to keep me sane. During my unfill times, I gain a lot in a short period of time. Thanks for good feedback!

Wow that is a dilemma. Congrats on hitting your goal weight! Great job!!! Its good that you have not developed a false sense of security and know your Achilles tendon. You are right to be concerned and considering your options to maintain at goal... and I understand not wanting to go under goal. I say trust yourself for now give yourself a weight range to maintain on your own and if you're struggling (you'll know if you are) just know that options for revision are on the table if you should decide to go that route.

Thank you! I definitely know my weaknesses. I guess you're right there is no rush, patience has never been one of my virtues. :D

I'm in between the two other responses hehe. Both are solid advice. To me, IF you get unfilled again (sounds like you have to. I've been there a couple of times /cry) and you put on say 30-40 lbs, go for revision cause you have to let your esophagus and stomach take a 4-6 month break anyway before they do the revision. They won't do a revision when your stomach is abnormal. Once you get your revision, you'll take those 30-40 lbs off and keep it off since you already know how to work with your current WLS.

However, I do understand the worry of going underweight. One thing more scary than being overweight is being underweight. I've seen a few that keeps losing, way past their goal. Frightening to me....

Didn't know that, @Sai. I thought they'd just do the revision. I would probably gain half back in 6 months without any fill. SMDH. Thank you for the heads up.

I am with your DR on this one. You will go under weight. Depends on how long you have the Fluid out and how much you gain. If you have 50 or more pounds to lose I would recommend sleeve revision. But not if you are at goal. I had revision because I gained a lot of weight back with my band after a car accident, but I also never got to goal with my band. Best of Luck!

I hope you are doing better after the car accident. Thank you for you input. Big decision for me.

I haven't had the sleeve surgery yet (next month). However, I do recommend you get the sleeve done. It will permanently reduce your stomach size and remove the ghrelin hormone that triggers hunger. When I went to my support group, there were several people there going for lap band revision to sleeve. I wish you the best of luck! I think it's very promising that you know your weaknesses and what works for you.

Thank you, I'm leaning that way after all of your input. :D

One other thing that I should mention is if they are removing liquid for a medical reason and not for regular adjustments to assist with appetite control then that would make me choose the sleeve. I think that overtime all of the bands will fail and need replacing and having it removed is a relief. No more port in your stomach area and no feeling of restriction when you swallow food. You won't feel that plugged feeling when you eat. With the sleeve your stomach is soo small that you can't eat very much. The restriction comes from a full stomach feeling that can be very painful. But, after a few months of heeling post surgery, you will be able to eat whatever you want, just a small amount of it.

To never get that plugged feeling again and saliva running out of nose and mouth in public is almost enough for me to switch asap. Thank you!