Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sex drive, and depression

Have any of you lost their sex drive after surgery? I Have lost my sex drive completely and my surgery was May 20, 2014. I was just put on antidepressants this year due the hormonal changes with the surgery. But what can you do about not wanting to be touched or sleep with the HUBS?? S.W. 258 C.W 138

Sent from my SM-N930T using the BariatricPal App

I am sorry you are going through this. a LOT of antidepressants have this as a side effect, so it is likely related to that.

I would recommend that you be very frank with the doctor who prescribes these so they can work with you to find an antidepressant that still allows you to feel all the feelings you want to feel with your spouse. years ago my husband was on anti depressants for anxiety (He has Asperger's) and it was a rough go for a long time until we found something that worked and didn't leave him with those side effects. but these medications have to be weaned and new ones started slow - so you certainly need medical professional help in making the changes.

but its WORTH the effort and you can reconnect again!

Anti-depressants are the biggest culprit in cutting out the libido. I was on them for 3 years, and I was totally sexually dysfunctional. I hate to say my sex drive has not returned since quitting them. I'm also post menopausal so that contributes. I pray for you the best. I would definitely tell your Dr what is going on. A change in meds may help tremendously.

Ask your doc about welbutrin (lovingly refered to as the happy/horney drug). Also when discussing these drugs, make sure he/she knows about the problems with malabsorbtion, especially in extended release versions that are known with WLS people. Take a look at crazymeds.us. There are more and more WLS people who are taking different meds and they can often offer good advice.

Always remember medicine is an ART as well as a SCIENCE. We often forget just how important it is to remember that we are all the same in that we are all different. When you are dealing with brain chemistry and those drugs, well it's not an exact science, and there is trial and error involved.

One further note, have you had your testosterone level checked? The weight loss might have depleted your supplies, (Why do guys have more libido? More T baby, yeah). Also do not give up hope, these people have some great research...http://www.mestonlab.com/. I was surprised that a hot relaxing bath was not the best thing to get things going for ladies...actually its a hard workout, which increases T levels. Note it is the opposite for guys. Who knew science could be so sexy ;-)

@@OKCPirate, you, sir.....are always giving spot on advice and keen observations.

I appreciate your posts.

@@OKCPirate, you, sir.....are always giving spot on advice and keen observations.

I appreciate your posts.

I exist to serve the ship...(my favorite line from Ben Hur)

Ask your doc about welbutrin (lovingly refered to as the happy/horney drug). Also when discussing these drugs, make sure he/she knows about the problems with malabsorbtion, especially in extended release versions that are known with WLS people. Take a look at crazymeds.us. There are more and more WLS people who are taking different meds and they can often offer good advice.

Always remember medicine is an ART as well as a SCIENCE. We often forget just how important it is to remember that we are all the same in that we are all different. When you are dealing with brain chemistry and those drugs, well it's not an exact science, and there is trial and error involved.

One further note, have you had your testosterone level checked? The weight loss might have depleted your supplies, (Why do guys have more libido? More T baby, yeah). Also do not give up hope, these people have some great research...http://www.mestonlab.com/. I was surprised that a hot relaxing bath was not the best thing to get things going for ladies...actually its a hard workout, which increases T levels. Note it is the opposite for guys. Who knew science could be so sexy ;-)

thank you so much for the advice and information. i was getting testosterone shots prior because it was low. it just made me angry so tried the cream on inner thighs it didn't make a change. but i have been allowed to go to the gym 15 min. a day and i an praying it helps because before i was very sexual and exoerimental but i am afraid of this change my husband may leave me. I have changed negative, when i was 258 pounds i was out going, active playful. now i am disabled, tired, grouchy and dont want to be touched by my hubby. but i will ask the doctors and pray they help. thank you again..

@@crissy79 You have not been healthy for a few months either (if I remember correctly - you've had significant complications) - which could certainly be a problem (both with the depression and low sex drive). Hopefully once you are feeling better medically - you'll feel better emotionally as well.

@@crissy79 You have not been healthy for a few months either (if I remember correctly - you've had significant complications) - which could certainly be a problem (both with the depression and low sex drive). Hopefully once you are feeling better medically - you'll feel better emotionally as well.

yes you are correct, i have had complications since a few months out. you are right that could be a big part of the issue. Wednesday is my interview with dr. apell. fingers crossed and prayers said that he tajes me in his clinic

I have been totally sexless for the past 4 or 5 years!! It has nothing to do with my hubby, I love him more than ever. We have been married for 43 Years and up until 4 or so years ago, we had the BEST SEX life ever. Have been going strong for all of those years. So this is totally not me. Well I have Fibromyalgia and Arthritis ( Osteo and the beginning of Rheumatoid) I have been using the FENTYNOL Patches for the last 8 years. Well I just read the side effects and guess what it causes low sex drive. Just that medications and I'm on numerous meds Thyroid and high blood pressure meds. Lots of medications that cause low sex drive. BOOM scares me but I am going to talk to my Dr. soon. Just throwing that out there.

Aha! Chrissy from pictures you have posted you are wearing Patches? For pain? Maybe these could be the culprit.??

How did the Drs. Appointment go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny thing is I have been on FENTYNL Patches for 8 years now. I just looked again the side effects and guess what I found out!! They decrease your sex drive!! No wonder I have been fighting this battle and losing if I must say. But....I don't want to go back on some of the hard drugs I have used in the past. I guess we will be ok and I will have to do what I have to do!! If you all know what I mean. LOL I always have said if I didn't want to have sex then I wouldn't but....hubby doesn't deserve this!!

Funny thing is I have been on FENTYNL Patches for 8 years now. I just looked again the side effects and guess what I found out!! They decrease your sex drive!! No wonder I have been fighting this battle and losing if I must say. But....I don't want to go back on some of the hard drugs I have used in the past. I guess we will be ok and I will have to do what I have to do!! If you all know what I mean. LOL I always have said if I didn't want to have sex then I wouldn't but....hubby doesn't deserve this!!

Lol, I was on oxycodine for 3-4 years and our sex life was absolutely amazing, I mean we got swing, toys, cuffs, blindfold and more then when I got off the oxycodine and on the Patches along with anti depressants it disappeared. I can't even be touched I get irritable. Like you said he does not deserve it, from kinky to nothing not even a feel. Trying to see if I can get on the Marijuana card, so off the patches, antidepressants and see if I can go normal..

Aha! Chrissy from pictures you have posted you are wearing Patches? For pain? Maybe these could be the culprit.??

How did the Drs. Appointment go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got excepted, I have blood work and AGD on the 13th. Dr. Apel is to the point and the staff is amazing. But we will see what the EGD shows along with blood work. Pray we get everything figured out. My ex husband took me to court again, so caused my acid reflux to get really bad, hard to eat at times. Back to Soups again.

Edited by crissy79