Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Metabolism after VSG

..... But she said it's important to make certain I'm hitting or exceeding my Protein goal every day, as the protein is what drives weight loss and maintaining a stable weight.

Just curious, but what did your surgeon set as your protein goal? Everyone seems to have a different number...

Edited by miamomma

@@Kiba - one thing to consider as you experiment with your diet - you mentioned that GENEPRO is your main Protein source. I've done some digging on GENEPRO and I'm concerned that they may be overstating the amount of Protein in their product. If this is true, you may actually be far under your protein goals. It might be worth mixing it up with different protein sources to see if this helps your loss.

See here for some more discussion on GenePro:

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/320744-Honest-truth-about-genepro-protein-powder/page__view__findpost__p__4268546

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

That is correct -- so in my case being at 1050 -- with say a week of no exercise , I'm at 1300 calories daily, cut the 500 and it's at 800 -- that's awfully low but completely understandable given what we put our bodies through during surgery healing. I have to attempt to fix my metabolism by increasing my RMR which comes with more muscle building and eating. Even then though, I'll be gaining for a while before I lose again. I might as well starve myself down to my goal weight at 800-900 calories and then start working out!

My understanding of RMR is that it measures how many calories you need to take in to maintain your current "at rest" weight. Meaning, if you cut calories or increase activity you will lose weight. Can someone please explain if this is not correct.

..... But she said it's important to make certain I'm hitting or exceeding my Protein goal every day, as the Protein is what drives weight loss and maintaining a stable weight.

Just curious, but what did your surgeon set as your protein goal? Everyone seems to have a different number...

My surgeon wants me to get at least 80 g of protein in a day. My trainer wants 120 g LOL. I'm usually getting in 80-90. I'm trying to up it, but with the restriction I can't eat very much protein from meat/cheese/eggs in a sitting and I don't like to over-do the Protein shakes.

The only real way for me to even hit those goals is bars and shakes in addition to the dairy and nuts I add to pretty much everything I eat. I almost just completely avoid foods with no carbs or little carbs to help sustain it.

@@Havasumoma, yes you are correct. It was explained to me that RMR measures the rate at which your body expends calorie at rest. So basically to maintain my weight, I believe it was between 1200-1400 . To lose, I have to eat less than 1200 calories.

@@Havasumoma, yes you are correct. It was explained to me that RMR measures the rate at which your body expends calorie at rest. So basically to maintain my weight, I believe it was between 1200-1400 . To lose, I have to eat less than 1200 calories.

Did you have your RMR machine tested? It isn't a range, it is an exact number. The place where I have mine tested makes no food calorie recommendations. They just provide the number and the professor will comment on if it is in the normal range for my age and height.

@@OutsideMatchInside, my exercise physiologist gave me a print out and it stated 1200 calories. He "explained" that 1200-1400 would keep me at my current weight and recommended to lose, I would have to eat less.

To answer your question, no, I personally didn't have the machine tested, I'm sure that's not an option. However, it may be worth it for me to repeat the test at another facility for accuracy.

@@Kathy812

No, I meant were you tested by a RMR machine or was this just an estimate by some calculator? If you height and weight here is correct, your RMR should be higher unless something has severely compromised it.

@@OutsideMatchInside, it was a machine.

Following up on the new information -- I had my wisdom tooth pulled (boo!) but the liquid diet for 3-4 days totally reset my stomach and I dropped 4 lbs like nothing. BUT I'm back to eating soft foods and bam, weight is already yo-yoing back to pre-tooth pulling. This is so frustrating.

Pre-sleeve here. My RMR was 1200 at age 34 (and weighing 167 and working out daily). I haven't done again, because I assume after 20 yrs and menopause, it's WAY lower. I weighed 332 and lost 80 lbs at around 1300-1500. As soon as stopped gym since July, gained back 20. Sleeve in January, do you guys think a pre surgery RMR is better or wait til a few months after?

Sent from my SM-G900H using the BariatricPal App

@@Ginsin007, Pre-sleeve mine was higher. I was told they expected my RMR to lower as I lost weight. I suggest waiting until you get past the so called "honeymoon phase" of surgery (9 months to a year) and have it tested then. Because your weight loss will slow down and you can have a more realistic idea of the amount of calories you'll need to maintain or to continue losing.