Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 61 years old and I am almost 4 weeks out from my sleeve surgery. I have found that my age contributes to how fast I have been recovering. It is slow, but slow and steady wins the race. I have had wonderful family and friend support. This struggle for weight loss is a 25 year saga and I finally took a permanent step to a healthy life.

I have to say that I was regretting my decision the first couple days home because of the pain and sickness. Then my friend convinced me to go back on my pain meds. What a relief. I stayed on them for 10 days and was able to recover comfortably and quicker. I am off the meds as of 10 days and each day gets better and better.

I am back to work and enjoying my life.

I started this process 2 years ago and then put it off. I tried weight watchers and a personal trainer and lost 20 lbs. in a year. Then my mother passed away and I stopped everything. I gained back the 20 lbs and 25 more. This February my brother died of a massive heart attack. I decided then not to turn back on the surgery.

I am so glad I had it. I have lost 37 lbs so far. It is the most weight I have ever lost at one time and it is only the beginning.

I have a new grandson and I plan to see him graduate from college and possibly one day see him get married. I hope to live a long, long time.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You have a wonderful and heartbreaking story to tell. Thank you for sharing it with us. I was 54 when I had the surgery and I am 55 now. I struggled with my weight my entire life. WLS is definitely the best thing I ever did for myself. I know you're going to feel the same way.

It's never too late to change your life for the better, and you are living proof of that. I am sad to hear of your many sorrows, and equally happy to hear how you were able to move past it.

You are a role model and an inspiration!

I'm so sorry for your loss! I had my surgery at 59 and I can identify with the recovery process. I had literally no pain and in fact after surgery I had to look to see if they had done it. However I have Liver Disease from autoimmune disorder. Recovery was especially hard . It took me the better part of 2 months to get back to normal without feeling like I just couldn't do another thing or walk another step. Fatigue which is part of the disease issue of mine was terrible in compounding it with surgery. But after my recovery, wow what a difference. I had energy that I had never had before and felt so good. I too want to see my grandkids get married, graduate college etc. I know both of us are doing this for the right reasons..