Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression after surgery?

I'm not even a week out from my surgery, so I know it's only early days, but I'm struggling mentally and could really use some support or advice?

Waking up from surgery was so much tougher than I expected. I envy all you folks who breezed through recovery!

I'm planning on going to a support group as soon as I am feeling physically up to it. In the meantime, would love to hear from anyone who has been there, done that??

I'm completely ok with the food restrictions, it's just my hospital stay was tough & chaotic - instead of restful. Now I have my kiddos to look after & im a weepy, nauseous mess! Please tell me it gets better??

Sent from my iPod touch using the BariatricPal App

It does. Surgery and being out of your environment and routines does that. Also when you lose weight the fat vells hold hormones and its dumping all of them into your system. I was a mess on and off for 2 months. Now at 4 months out, I am close to normal. I remember having a breakdown about the yardwork. Made no sense, but at the time it was a gigantic deal.

It gets better. Just know that its the fat cells and not you being irrational on your own. Let your family know too.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

I would definitely count the hospital stay as the worst part of my entire journey, so you're not alone in feeling this way. I broke down in tears more than once myself. My surgeon required a four day stay for all his patients, so even though I felt physically well enough to go home the next day, I couldn't. That was hard.

It's especially draining too because you might feel like you no longer have any control over your life. Now that you're out of that unrestful environment things should start to get better. Not all at once of course, but day by day. I think you might benefit from going to a support group as you mentioned. And I hope you have someone to help you take care of the kids for the first couple of weeks. You need to rest.

The best thing you can do to help your recovery is not to expect so much from yourself right out of the gate. Devote some portion of each day to pampering yourself. You've been through a lot, physically, emotionally, and mentally. The days and months ahead won't all be easy either, but believe me, it'll be worth everything you had to sacrifice to get there. WLS isn't instant gratification, but the rewards are well within reach.

Take care of yourself and best wishes!

Thanks for your reply, glad that im not the only one. I feel so upside down! I don't have a lot of family support (they live in another country) and not many friends close by....I underestimated how lonely I would feel at this point. Im really not good at asking for help or showing vulnerability so I'm hoping I can find help at the support group....or on here

Just remember you're never alone in this. Posting and reading other people's experiences definitely helped me get through it, and it can do the same for you. ????

I was going to suggest you ask for family help with your children. But you say they are out of the country. Can your husband or partner take some of the responsibility for the kids? I would try to keep them busy with artwork, movies, etc. When you have kids at home you don't usually have time to feel sorry for yourself, I promise you every day will be a little better, then yo will feel like taking a walk, or sitting outside while your kids play. Losing weight will rejuvenate you tremendously!!! Good luck!!!

I appreciate all the support & ideas I already feel better just hearing from you all. My husband has taken the maximum amount of time off work & has done a wonderful job with the kids, but he had to go back to work today my older 2 kids are entertaining themselves & my youngest is right by my side (I can't sneak a nap in because I'm scared he will jump on my belly for a hug!). I feel like I'm getting on top of this...

Short term pain for long term gain?

I promise in no time it will make a turnaround for you!!!

I was the opposite. I live alone and I enjoyed my hospital stay. It was nice having people come in and care for me and get that attention. When I gained weight, I shut myself off and don't have a lot of friends. Now that I am thinner, that doesn't change the fact I still don't have anybody. I never really ate food emotionally but more out of boredom. I still haven't found a desire to eat.

Post op depression happened to me too. I'm still there a lil bit but soooo much better. My hospital stay was rough but what helped me the most was being active. Not nursing my wounds so to speak. I was back at work 2 days post op. Also once your off a liquid diet it will get better. liquid diet made me mean... lol I'm still depressed about my food breakup but it's slowly getting better. I'm sure once I'm off soft foods it will be even better. Good luck to you! Hang in there! Not sure where you are located but if were close we can totally connect!

ChelsiCurrently

I was SO sad after my surgery! My coping mechanism, food, was no longer an option. I also had terrible nausea and didn't see an end in sight. It gets better! If it seems to be more than just a temporary funk, tell your doctor! Don't suffer in silence. I'll be praying for you.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was SO sad after my surgery! My coping mechanism, food, was no longer an option. I also had terrible nausea and didn't see an end in sight. It gets better! If it seems to be more than just a temporary funk, tell your doctor! Don't suffer in silence. I'll be praying for you.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

This is exactly my experience!! The nausea really destroyed my soul...it's much better now but I'm struggling with this sad, lonely feeling. This was so unexpected...I'm still only 5 days post-op so in hoping to turn a corner soon.

I feel like I am going through the same symptoms. But I have fatigue, allspice I want to do is sleep and I force my self to eat. It's gotten better the last few days. I have alarms set to remind me to eat, take my Vitamins, intake of liquids. And reminders to get up and get dressed and go outside.

Heather

Sacramento CA

RYN 8/22/16

Im not even close to surgery and in fact I have a sleep study and one more nutritionist appointment before i even get one and i swear i am loosing it. I went from being super excited for getting the surgery to anxious to now where i dont even know whats up what down whats left or right... could this take any longer? maybe it's a sign that it's taking so long for approval? Ive really beaten myself up about the whole thing and on top of that Im a parent, who works, and goes to school at a new university and all of that stress make we wanna do the one thing im not suppose to... eat! In the back of my mind i sometimes feel like i might not be able to take any weight off once i get my surgery and im just doing this for nothing its really heart breaking i dont know whats wrong with me......