Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two tickets on plane?

Did anyone fly to the airport and had to pay for two tickets? I live in CA but 8 hours away but I haven't been on a plane since I was smaller and I'm not sure what it's like out there.

Can I ask what airline, and what pants size you are in? I have flown several times in the last few years at 300+ pounds and a size 26, and was not required to buy a second ticket. I did have to ask for a seatbelt extender on some of the smaller planes.

My pants size is 22 or 3xl but the seats on most of the major airlines are 17 inches across and I'm more than that sitting down. I'm just worried about missing flights. Did you feel comfortable when you traveled?

Last time I flew I was 325 pounds, I'm 5'5 wearing 3x tops and 24/26 pants for size comparison. ... I fit in one seat and didn't need a belt extender (but it was tight)

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

My pants size is 22 or 3xl but the seats on most of the major airlines are 17 inches across and I'm more than that sitting down. I'm just worried about missing flights. Did you feel comfortable when you traveled?

Comfortable, no. But I did fit. I would imagine you will be fine at that size. The arms of the seats on all the airlines I have used lift up so that you can get settled. I suggest a window seat, they give you a little more "wiggle room".

The last time I flew, I sat next to a very nice, petite woman who proceeded to use me as a pillow throughout the whole flight.

Definitely go window. If you can fly virgin or jetblue more comfort seats worth the extra expense. Frankly for flights at 2+ hours I would fly first class --- you get more leg room wider seat and healthier free food, not to mention pre boarding and free checked bags. It is worth exploring I would certainly go first class before buying two coach!

I fly extensively for work. (I am a diamond medallion on Delta.) Before I began my pre-op six-month diet, I weighed almost 400 pounds at 5'11". I always fit in the seat, but at the highest weight, I barely fit in the seat. I always had to have a seat-belt extender. Now that I have lost down to 300 pre-op, there are no issues.

Ironically enough, I always stayed away from window seats and opted for aisle seats since I could lean out into the aisle once we got in the air to give everybody in the row more room.

I also agree with chycky about first class. If you can afford to buy first class, do it. These days, I get upgraded about 85% of the time, and it is definitely more comfortable. In fact, since gave up booze in April as I continue my weight loss journey, first class is all about comfort and the bigger seat. (And it all but eliminates the "will I make others uncomfortable" stress that comes along with riding in coach when you are of a certain size...)

I bought an extra seat once for my husband, flying from Florida to Vegas. He did not need the extra seat but I did not want him embarrassed. Delta promptly refunded the price of the extra seat, as promised.

Thanks everyone, all this info is very helpful. If you have gotten a refund from the airline for an extra seat, do I have to buy from the airline or can I go through a website like Priceline or orbitz? Thanks!

I would be hesitant about hoping for a refund. You would want to call airline and you would also need to deal with it on flight with crew I would imagine. I can't imagine that would be pleasant.

Seriously on some airlines you might be really surprised if you have flexibility about cost of first class.

Yup.....this is a good question and you are likely to get many opinions. I flew regularly for travel at 310lbs in a size 26.

I learned very quickly that if I could afford first class, then that is what I did and even then I sometimes would have to ask for a seat belt extender which is embarrassing enough.

Also, I would never ever ever ask for a window seat. There is NO where to move. In an aisle you can at least lean into the aisle a bit but watch those elbows......I have been banged by peoples suitcases or the carts and it hurts like hell.

On a good note, I flew for work in less than 24 hours notice a week ago and got stuck in a middle seat. Not only do I fit, but had about 16 inches of seatbelt left and several inches between me and the other two coach seats.

My back didn't like it but it made me feel like a million bucks that I could. At 310, that would never have been an option for me without leaving the two arm rests up and other people really dont like that much unless they are heavy too.

@@Chloewithac

Dont count on getting a refund for your ticket. They simply wont do it. They will give you credit toward the next flight.

About a year ago, I bought a first class ticket to hawaii for my granddaughter to join us. 2 days before the flight her great grandma died and she could not go. The airline (United) refused to do anything but put a credit in her name which of course meant nothing. Even though I paid for the ticket, they simply would not do anything with a death in the family!

They only give you 12 months to use a ticket they give you credit for and that did not work out so in the end they got 1600.00 of my money for absolutely nothing. I will never again buy tickets through United and I even wrote their CEO and explained the situation and never even got a response back from them. I submitted a death notice and everything.

I have had similar experiences when work has cancelled stuff and they will only ever give you credit to be used within 12 months. That is usually the standard for Delta, United, American. I dont know about Jetblue or southwest or others but I have run into this situation often.

Thanks everyone, all this info is very helpful. If you have gotten a refund from the airline for an extra seat, do I have to buy from the airline or can I go through a website like Priceline or orbitz? Thanks!

The airline. I was told by Delta prior to flying they would refund the extra ticket if my husband did not need it. They kept their word! Deposited the credit back to my credit card.

My husband and I traveled Southwest about five times and purchased an extra seat and we always got our refund, though you do have to request it. You also get to pre-board which is great since they have open seating.

I definitely recommend an aisle seat, especially for the flight home, posy-op. You will want to get up and walk a little as often as possible on the flight.