Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UIC in Chicago I'm not impressed!

So I scheduled a total of 3 consultations. I had my first one sept. 6th with dr. Tiesenga in Elmwood park,IL. Everything went smoothly, nice clean environment and I was seen ON TIME for my appointment. They gave me my referrals for nutritionist,etc,consulted about the procedure and I left. There is also free parking and the waiting area wasn't overcrowded. The only thing is I didn't actually meet with dr. Tiesenga. I met with the nurse practitioner. She was friendly and professional thou...so my first appointment went well????

My second appointment was today sept.21 with UIC on Taylor street in Chicago.

They asked me to come 15 min early to fill out paperwork. My appt. was at 2pm. I got there at 1:42pm and the waiting area was packed! The line was in the hallway! I signed in and luckily found a seat. The receptionist weren't friendly,they didn't speak when I walked up to the desk and the intake people weren't all that friendly either. They all seemed overworked. 2:20 rolled around and I still hadn't filled out any paperwork! They were behind and there were several peeps in front of me waiting to be seen! There was also an unpleasant odor in the room (although it was clean)and the overall energy felt rushed and congested,like you couldn't form a relationship with the staff. Needless to say, I left and won't be going back! It was a complete waste of time going there. The good thing is,my third consultation is October. 6th with an excellent surgeon,Dr. Lufi at st. Joseph hospital. I've heard nothing but good things about him and his staff,I've watched a couple of information sessions with him and he is very knowledgeable, I like his personality and he has performed over 3000 procedures. He also teaches other surgeons about VSG. Lastly,he and dr tiesenga work together so I have a choice between two excellent surgeons with great reputations.

So basically I am sooo not impressed with UIC. I heard good things about them too but I'm glad I got to experience it for myself to make a decision. I just hate I wasted time driving from the burbs for nothing..

Do you have to go to UIC? If I still lived in Chicago, I would go to Northwestern.

No I don't have to. I just wanted to consult with them because I heard good things about them. I'll most likely go with dr.lufi. I'm not sure if northwestern is in my insurance network.

I haven't had my surgery yet, but I'm 4 months into my 6 month insurance required diet with Dr. Lutfi's office. I also just had my EGD, which Dr. Lutfi does himself. I totally recommend him. You might have a slight wait during your first consult (I think he only does new consults one day a week, because he does bariatric surgery the other days, and regular gastrointestinal surgery on the other days). But other than that, everything has been smooth sailing with him.

But what is most important is to find a surgeon that makes you feel comfortable. Good luck! Let me know how it goes with Dr. Lutfi!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Dr Lutfi did my surgery in February and I highly recommend him! Good luck ! His office staff is fabulous and my surgery and post op was perfect with no problems.

Dr. Lutfi did my surgery in August him and his staff are top notch. They really spend time with you answering all your questions and no such lines around the corner nonsense. Like the others have said he only does consults one day a week but he's top rated and has an just about perfect success rate. My brother did his with him 3 years ago and the quality just keeps getting better. The nurses and dietician are always there for you and they have an emergency on call dr on weekends.

Thanks for the responses ladies. I'm looking forward to my Oct.6th appt with dr. Lufi I'll keep you guys updated.

How did your appointment with Dr. Lutfi go?

Right! They are so good, everyone at that office. I'm done with my requirements in December, I'm so excited for the surgery! let me know how your journey goes!